"Higher End" Apparel Discussion Thread (Kryptek, KUIU, Sitka Gear, First Lite, etc.)

broodc2

Four Pointer
"Higher End" Apparel Discussion Thread (Kryptek, KUIU, Sitka Gear, First Lite, etc.)

I was hoping to start a discussion on these higher priced technical hunting clothing companies. I have bits and pieces of a few of them as gifts and such and have been thinking about investing in one or the other's "system" of layering. I wanted to hear from fellow NC hunters about this gear and your experiences with any of the product lines listed in the title.

PLEASE READ: Every person has their preference for what they spend their money on and how they perceive value. So I'd like to try to keep the non-objective brand and/or member bashing to a minimum. I know you can go to a surplus store, walmart, etc. and find clothing for a lot cheaper than these brands. You may think it foolish to spend so much money on clothing and I respect your opinion. But please do not post here if that's the case. Thank you everyone.

Now that I'm off the soap box, I was taking a hard look at Sitka Gear's Whitetail series. I like the versatility of the stratus line and I'd like to get the most versatile setup for the majority of hunting situations without buying everything. So using layering I guess that's anywhere from early season weather down to maybe the 20s. I could always call customer service but I'm hoping to hear some real life testimonies from you all that hunt predominately in the Carolinas. Are the higher prices justified by field-tested better warmth, wind protection, scent masking, bulk reduction, durability, functionality, etc. relative to the UA, cabelas stuff?

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My dad and I have full line of First Lite Gear and my brother has full line of Kryptek. Both are quality and work as advertised. Merino wool is the single best piece of clothing you can buy for hunting IMO regardless of brand. We spent the money because of bow hunting in cold weather in Ohio and not feeling like the Michelin man in the treestand. It works. Is the heavy duty stuff like the sanctuary coat and bibs from first light needed in NC......no not for 95% of the hunting but it sure is nice to be warm and mobile with a bow in my hand in Ohio when it's 5 degrees.

No experience with KUIU but Sitka didn't fit me near as good as First Lite and FL was a little cheaper. No doubt Sitka is quality though.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have been buying better gear over the last few years. Not really much of the $$ gear but better then what I was using.

I can tell you that my fit and feel hunting has been a lot better. Stay warmer and dryer in the cold and cooler early season. Also able to dress lighter for easier movement.

Im sold on it. Plan this year to buy more of the higher end cloths.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I used to get a new long sleeve real tree shirt from Walmart every year. I was always hot and had to wash it every hunt. Thought I would wise up and got a poly camo shirt last year. Same as UA type stuff (which is junk imo). Still soaking wet and those shirts flat stink after a hunt. I acquired a Sitka kelvin vest. Very nice piece and now I know why you have to pay for the good stuff. This year I want a full merino kuiu outfit and first lite outfit.

Rc187

Six Pointer
I have a bunch of kuiu clothes and socks some of the best quality gear I have ever used I also have icon pro 5200 pack system all in the vias camo pattern also have the elite impulse 34 in vias to match just because I enjoy the gear so much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

92xj

Eight Pointer
Screw kuiu and their non supporting of public lands and wanting to take lottery tags to auction tags so the rich can buy the tags that the average Joe could have received. Will never support them.
I live in first lite gear year around. The company is amazing for what they do for our public lands, plus their gear is amazing. For packs kifaru hands down.
Sitka, good quality stuff and more options for the southern, non wilderness hunter with their variety. As a full time western hunter, public lands, companies that support them and the purpose of the companies clothing mean a lot more than when I was hunting leased land in the south. Merino wool is amazing, but be forewarned, it is not durable like the synthetics and cottons you're used to.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone tried the Hecs gear??? Looks really gimmicky. I understand how critters with specialized receptors like a shark could be affected but wouldn't think many prey mammals would be keying on those bio/electric signals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92xj

Eight Pointer
Anyone tried the Hecs gear??? Looks really gimmicky. I understand how critters with specialized receptors like a shark could be affected but wouldn't think many prey mammals would be keying on those bio/electric signals

It does look super gimmicky. I do not own any. The company is a few hours from me so I do see folks using it often and honestly have seen some pretty amazing things with it. The turkey videos you have seen are pretty amazing. It's really hard to believe when seeing it on the TV, so gimmicky!!!but, seeing it in person is pretty amazing but my brain still can't wrap around the results. Plus I still get plenty close to critters, and kill them, bow hunting. Once I stop being able to kill elk and deer with archery gear under 20 yards, I might pick up a suit.

Last edited:

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
I have a few Sitka and First Lite articles of clothing, and anything made of Marrino wool. Like 92xj mentioned, I won't buy Kuiu at all and for the same reasons.
I bought them to hunt Montana, but now use everything here too. While in MT, I had one pair of my regular hunting pants that I wore one morning while letting my "good britches" air out. I almost froze wearing those things absorbed water and ended up weighing a few lbs heavier with so much water.
High end hunting clothing is worth the investment.
Also use a Kifaru pack. I have close to $1000 in that thing, but it's worth every dime. Like 25contender told me, buy once cry once!

If anyone wants to buy quality clothing or other gear, but want to save on cost, go to Rokslide's forum (classified section). That is the most active forum for selling/buying gear that I've seen. So if you go, you'll have to watch it a couple times a day, or items will be advertised and sold before you'll realize it.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I have a few items of each. I'm happy with everything I have from Sitka, First Lite and C4E. The most disappointing piece I have is merino top and bottoms from Kuiu. They shrunk really bad.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have absolutely no affiliation with them other than a satisfied customer but if you are buying new and want to support a NC business then give Bean Outdoors a call. As good of prices as anywhere and good people from my experience.

http://www.beanoutdoors.com/

broodc2

Four Pointer
Screw kuiu and their non supporting of public lands and wanting to take lottery tags to auction tags so the rich can buy the tags that the average Joe could have received. Will never support them.
I live in first lite gear year around. The company is amazing for what they do for our public lands, plus their gear is amazing. For packs kifaru hands down.
Sitka, good quality stuff and more options for the southern, non wilderness hunter with their variety. As a full time western hunter, public lands, companies that support them and the purpose of the companies clothing mean a lot more than when I was hunting leased land in the south. Merino wool is amazing, but be forewarned, it is not durable like the synthetics and cottons you're used to.

I think I'm set on Sitka. I've heard KUIU and others are great options for the western spot-and-stalk/active hunting. But they come up a little light for tree stand hunting. I like that Sitka has a dedicated Whitetail line and many options. It doesn't hurt that they have done a lot for conservation as well. Anyone have specific experience with any of Sitka's lineup (celsius, stratus, fanatic, etc.)? It's good to see that others share my opinion of spending more for good clothing. To me, if I'm willing to buy a Leupold or Zeiss scope, summit stands, etc., finding gear that will keep me comfortable for those all day rut sits and late season sits is just as, if not more, important.

92xj

Eight Pointer
First lite also has really good treestand stuff. I treestand hunt with my first lite from 90 degree early season to single digits and below.

Have head good thinks about the fanantic stuff. Personally I like the traverse cold weather hoody, 1/4 zip. But prefer all my merino FL over the Sitka gore synthetic. FL baselayers, obsedian pants, Halstead fleece and sawtooth will get you to the cold days, then the North Branch pants and Woodbury jacket with get you down well below freezing.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Where do you go to try on these clothes? I'm skeptical of plunking down hundreds of dollars on clothes that may not fit or may not meet my needs from a temp or environment standpoint.

broodc2

Four Pointer
First lite also has really good treestand stuff. I treestand hunt with my first lite from 90 degree early season to single digits and below.

Have head good thinks about the fanantic stuff. Personally I like the traverse cold weather hoody, 1/4 zip. But prefer all my merino FL over the Sitka gore synthetic. FL baselayers, obsedian pants, Halstead fleece and sawtooth will get you to the cold days, then the North Branch pants and Woodbury jacket with get you down well below freezing.

That stuff looks nice! At this point I've only got enough coin to invest in one or the other. I do worry about the durability of an all merino setup. I may buy merino base layers as a start to compare against the sitka layers. Then maybe dive into the FL stuff next year. To me, it looks like the pants from FL, especially the obsedian, would be snug. I'm a more athletic guy so I wouldn't mind it, but it looks like they have some major contouring.

broodc2

Four Pointer
Where do you go to try on these clothes? I'm skeptical of plunking down hundreds of dollars on clothes that may not fit or may not meet my needs from a temp or environment standpoint.

Most of these places allow free returns as long as tags are still on the clothes. I was thinking I'd just order and try everything on with tags and return stuff if I'm not happy. And laugh if you want to but I have a buddy in catering who is going to give me access to his walk-in coolers and freezers. It'll be 95 degrees here soon but damn right I'm layering this fancy stuff up and making a trip to the freezer to try it out!

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I believe that Bean Outdoors has a storefront in the winston salem area now. Cabelas has some Sitka stuff. Midway USA has free shipping and returns on First Lite.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I have absolutely no affiliation with them other than a satisfied customer but if you are buying new and want to support a NC business then give Bean Outdoors a call. As good of prices as anywhere and good people from my experience.

http://www.beanoutdoors.com/

http://www.beanoutdoors.com/Kenetrek-Hardscrabble-LT-Hiker-p/hardscrabble.htm

$410!!! First boot I looked at. Think I'll stick to Rocky.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
It is a rare day that I'm not perfectly comfortable in my (junky) under armor base layer with a thin layer over that and then the top /outer layer of Walmart camo. Add a decent pair of gloves, fleece neck cover and warm hat and my Bogs boots. Pretty good for me to the upper teens. If it's colder than that, it's no fun and I generally don't go.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer

I have family that uses HECS but I have not personally used it. I cant say they have killed anymore animals than they normally do. They say they are comfortable but run a bit small. Also their suits are incredibly thin so you have to wear another layer underneath it and it tears easy.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
For me I picked up some under armour stealth fleece gear last year when Field and Stream was selling it around 75% off. I bought a complete set for around $80 just to have another set of camo to add to the rotation on some of my longer hunts. Its their mid-weight fleece and I wore it several times during turkey season. Its thick enough to keep the mosquito's from biting me threw my clothes but was still comfortable up to about 80 degree days.

I have lots of friends that swear by Sitka. I can personally buy Sitka for 40% off through a dealer friend but even then I cant justify the expense. I'm sure it is amazing but thats a lot of money for that camo. I'll buy high end if I see it on sale but Sitka just never discounts their stuff enough to bring it into my price range.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Lol, Kenetrek definately has some high end boots. I bought a pair of Meindl on sale at cabelas for $199 but after wearing them they are worth the $329 full price. A few things out there you still get what you pay for.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It is a rare day that I'm not perfectly comfortable in my (junky) under armor base layer with a thin layer over that and then the top /outer layer of Walmart camo. Add a decent pair of gloves, fleece neck cover and warm hat and my Bogs boots. Pretty good for me to the upper teens. If it's colder than that, it's no fun and I generally don't go.

And this is the truth especially in NC. Walmart camo is actually pretty good especially their bibs and coat and is what I've worn for 20 years before last year. Where the expensive stuff really shines is in the warmth to bulk ratio especially bow hunting IMO. It was 2 degrees in Ohio one morning last season and I was snug as a bug in a rug and perfectly comfortable drawing my bow.

broodc2

Four Pointer
For me I picked up some under armour stealth fleece gear last year when Field and Stream was selling it around 75% off. I bought a complete set for around $80 just to have another set of camo to add to the rotation on some of my longer hunts. Its their mid-weight fleece and I wore it several times during turkey season. Its thick enough to keep the mosquito's from biting me threw my clothes but was still comfortable up to about 80 degree days.

I have lots of friends that swear by Sitka. I can personally buy Sitka for 40% off through a dealer friend but even then I cant justify the expense. I'm sure it is amazing but thats a lot of money for that camo. I'll buy high end if I see it on sale but Sitka just never discounts their stuff enough to bring it into my price range.

Any chance you can hook a fellow hunter up? Willing to give you 10%. So, hypothetical, retail jacket costs $350. You can get it 40% off for a total of $210. I'll give you $35 so my cost is $245 (30% off)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Lol, Kenetrek definately has some high end boots. I bought a pair of Meindl on sale at cabelas for $199 but after wearing them they are worth the $329 full price. A few things out there you still get what you pay for.

I'm on my 3rd or 4th pair of Meindl Perfekt hikers,,,,,,,love them boots,,,,only bad thing about them (for me) are they are hot footed on me,,,,once it gets above 60 degrees they feel warm to me,,,,,but other than that I have worn them from SC swamps to the Brooks Range,,,and many places in between,,,,,,,

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
most of them have their pros and cons,,,,,,I have Sitka, First Lite, and some lesser known brands (Core4, etc),,,,,all have their place,,,,,,,

my only tenet in this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,COTTON KILLS,,,,,,,

yeah, you can get away with it in the South,,,,but I avoid it most times other than casual wear,,,,,,

what I really like is non-hunting brands,,,,don't always need camo (normally don't need camo) so I wear a LOT of Duluth Trading Co clothes in earth tone colors as well as some from RailRiders (https://www.railriders.com/ ),,,their pants designed for adventure use are near indestructible,,,,I bought them on the recommendation of a friend for the Brooks range and wear them a lot to this day,,,,,

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
After several trips to the Scottish Highlands (wet ground. Wet skies) I can't say that Sitka is worth the money. Last trip I went back to plain old military goretex, and my brother went with First Light. He still wasn't 100% happy! but said they worked better than the Sitka.

My goretex worked fine, but we were rifle hunting (only method allowed for deer) so being quiet and working close wasn't really a factor.

derekorr1986

Six Pointer
I don't own any of the above clothing but am considering investing in some this year. I did buy a pair of Sitka gloves for waterfowl hunting last fall for when its raining or just generally cold. 100% waterproof, thin enough to handle your gun and most anything else, and warm enough to hunt extreme temps. Expensive but well worth the money. I can't tell you how many pairs of gloves I tried over the years and all were too bulky, and not waterproof as advertised. Hunted in the snow storm last January at the coast, I was the only one in the blind with dry hands and that wasn't completely miserable because of wet hands frozen hands.