"Higher End" Apparel Discussion Thread (Kryptek, KUIU, Sitka Gear, First Lite, etc.)

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I got a pair of Zamberlan guides during REIs sale recently, hole-E crap what a boot. You see the difference in high end stuff pretty quick.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
It is a rare day that I'm not perfectly comfortable in my (junky) under armor base layer with a thin layer over that and then the top /outer layer of Walmart camo. Add a decent pair of gloves, fleece neck cover and warm hat and my Bogs boots. Pretty good for me to the upper teens. If it's colder than that, it's no fun and I generally don't go.

I use all UA, have all I need for every occasion here in NC, even down in the teens and still have couple things I haven't worn cause I get too hot.

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
Ive had Day one camo and now currently use http://predatorcamo.com/#home-top. IMO,The predator clothing line is not really " high end" stuff but some of it is way better than average. Like someone mentioned above when bowhunting the mid west during the rut it can get nasty cold for a NC guy and being bundled up like that kid on the Christmas story movie is not practical, believe me I've been there. I use Bean Outdoors in Winston Salem also, its conveniently located not too far away from me and he does have a few items in stock so you can touch and try on some things. Also he is a great guy and has some of the best prices around.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
What really put me over the edge on merino was this dang hot turkey season. I put some miles on these feet and was miserable hot. I don't wanna do it again.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
As mentioned above contact Bean outdoors he usually has several items you can try on.
Call before going he is very knowledgeable about all the high end clothing.

I did invest in Sitka several years ago and I am completely satisfied.
I bought it for the Mid West.
I have bow hunted in -0- degrees with 30 mph wind.
My eyes was hurting from the cold wind.
Actually I needed some type of goggles to protect my eyes.
Otherwise I was fine.
I did kill in these temps with my bow.
I use FL next to the skin then different layers of Sitka.
Outer shell in very cold is the Incinerator set.
Normal cold temps I use the Status.
Early season I use the Early season set.
My Sitka is the digital camo 4 years old.
The Incinerator hand muff is a must for a bow hunter in extreme cold.
They use to make a puffy pant,jacket and vest that was called a Kelvin I think.
Pretty sure it is still made.
You can use this under any of the outer garments for extra warmth.

Is it needed in NC temps?
No we all have used lesser garments and been fine.
However, it makes it a lot easier with less layers etc.

You can also go on Sitka's website they have a layering guide or you can just call them they are very helpful.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
http://www.beanoutdoors.com/Kenetrek-Hardscrabble-LT-Hiker-p/hardscrabble.htm

$410!!! First boot I looked at. Think I'll stick to Rocky.

I've got these exact boots for chasing grouse in the Pisgah. There worth every dime for secure sidehilling. I got mine for much less on sale. My knees and ankles hurt just thinking of putting on many off trail miles in Rocky boots in the mountains.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
You people have me thinking of trying some of those fancy boots. Lol. I looked at several and kinda like what woodmoose wears. Need to catch them on sale, preferably. Also, my feet tend to get hot in shoes, boots. Except in a deer stand around freezing or below during a long sit.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
The backpack/hiker/hunter style arent really made for treestands. You'll get cold. But if you hike with a load, i.e. Packouts, you'll love them. Like I said, Zamberlans are awesome, those Kennetreks are great and Lowas are great. You need what fits you best, and they are all made for different foot widths. Also looks at Crispi's.

Last edited:

broodc2

Four Pointer
The backpack/hiker/hunter style arent really made for treestands. You'll get cold. But if you hike with a load, i.e. Packouts, you'll love them. Like I said, Zamberlans are awesome, those Kennetreks are great and Lowas are great. You need what fits you best, and they are all made for different foot widths. Also looks at Crispi's.

I wear Lowas. For the money I wouldn't trade anything else. They're super warm for the sedentary stand sits but they don't weight nearly as much as you think they should given their size.

I think I'm convinced to go with the stratus series. Also going to get the fanatic hoodie and either a mid weight or heavy base layer. Or maybe I'll try FL base layer with the Sitka gear since the FL merino next to skin stuff seems highly regarded on here. Either way, $$$ be flyin!

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I understand totally. I really wanted to get the Salomon Quest 4d on sale at REI. I only wear Salomon shoes but the boot was too wide. It was recommended to try Zams for a slimmer fit and turned out to be perfect. Just turns out you have to put about 30 miles on them to be broke in, at about 15 now, I can just start to get the laces tight.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don't own any of the above clothing but am considering investing in some this year. I did buy a pair of Sitka gloves for waterfowl hunting last fall for when its raining or just generally cold. 100% waterproof, thin enough to handle your gun and most anything else, and warm enough to hunt extreme temps. Expensive but well worth the money. I can't tell you how many pairs of gloves I tried over the years and all were too bulky, and not waterproof as advertised. Hunted in the snow storm last January at the coast, I was the only one in the blind with dry hands and that wasn't completely miserable because of wet hands frozen hands.
I was looking at their gloves and they offer a LOT of different versions. Which did you buy?

straightline

Ten Pointer
I've got a few of all the brands mentioned and for me Sitka has performed the best. Keep an eye out on camofire.com. They move a lot of Sitka and if you catch it early there are some deals to be had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I have no clue who makes the stuff for them but for the money I have been really impressed with the Midway store brand camo. I have allways been somewhat cheap when buying camo but I will say the softshell setup and vest have kept comfortable deer hunting in the Middleburg area of Northern Virginia where it is quite a bit colder than here.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
For a while there I had almost every First Lite piece of clothing available.
Now I have most of Sitkas Waterfowl Timber camo and I am working on building up my Sitka Subalpline collection (just got the ascent suit and oh my goodness is it lovely)
First lite makes some great stuff but I think the main premise behind the first lite gear is the Merino which is very important. I've even been to the First Lite headquarters and met a lot of those guys and they are all super nice down to earth people. I was eventually involved in some extremely random drama there however that has somewhat turned me away from First Lite but I still recommend it. Beyond the fact that merino wool is incredible, and First Lite provides it in a athletic fit and cool camo pattern, I enjoy my Sitka gear more.

I think in terms of being "More Technical" Sitka takes the cake. Zippers, cuts, fit, pocket locations, functionality, hood adjustability etc etc etc. it seems like every time I get a technical piece of Sitka gear I in awe of how well thought out the entire piece is down to the smallest of details. Having said that, most of my first lite gear was the merino stuff and nothing super technical. I do have the Sanctuary Bib and Jacket from First lite and it is probably the warmest set of clothing I have ever owned and technically is a very well made piece. When I was buying stock in first lite they didnt have a ton of technical gear and have since added a lot of pieces for what thats worth.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
For what its worth I learned a long time ago while hunting out west you can die if you don't have the right gear. I almost got hypothermia while on a Ssolo back country backpack hunt in Montana. Since then I have been investing in good gear and clothing which can keep you alive. Lucky for me I did know what to look for but before the trip I was to cheap to get better cloths. If you wear cotton out west and you get wet you can have serious issues or die. I have tried many of them but now I strictly get Sitka gear and or FirstLite gear. In NC all my hunts are primarily morning or afternoon hunts and it doesn't get to cold so I mix and match merino wool unders and other brands for the outters. When I am out west back in where there is no help for sometimes days I wear merino unders and Sitka top two layers. I like a lighter Underarmor boot for hunting around here but for out west I prefer Lowa Tibet boots with a high quality merino wool sock that wicks away moisture. Moisture and feet are as bad as moisture and cotton on your torso,

Last edited:

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Any chance you can hook a fellow hunter up? Willing to give you 10%. So, hypothetical, retail jacket costs $350. You can get it 40% off for a total of $210. I'll give you $35 so my cost is $245 (30% off)

Broodc2, I would love to help you out but it would be abusing my friendship. Also we hunt together very often so he would immediately realize that I bought Sitka but am never wearing it. How much are you willing to buy? He routinely gives 10% off to new customers but may be willing to give you a bigger discount depending on how much you are wanting to buy.

broodc2

Four Pointer
Broodc2, I would love to help you out but it would be abusing my friendship. Also we hunt together very often so he would immediately realize that I bought Sitka but am never wearing it. How much are you willing to buy? He routinely gives 10% off to new customers but may be willing to give you a bigger discount depending on how much you are wanting to buy.

Thanks nhn2a. No need to abuse the relationship. I actually joined the Sitka Gear Fanatics group page on facebook and there is some good info on there for getting new gear for less than retail. In the end I dropped well into the 4 figures but at 30ish% off of retail. Plus no NC taxes like you pay if you buy off of the Sitka website, and free shipping. Picked up UA Early Season Ridge Reaper 3.0 jacket and pants on the cheap today as well on Camofire.com. For the price I'm willing to give it a try for early bow season. Would NEVER pay anything close to retail for UA. They usually have Sitka items and the like. Hunt of the day.com also is a place to check out.

Last edited:

broodc2

Four Pointer
Got my stratus pants and jacket along with core heavyweight layers and fanatic hoodie from Sitka Gear. This stuff sure is nice! I guess I just have to believe that layering with this stuff will keep me warm into the 30s and 20s. It's so thin! Also ordered the merino base layers and sanctuary bib and jacket from First Lite. I know it's probably overkill for NC but for those few hunts in the low 20s it'll sure be nice and toasty. I feel like I'm in a functional sleeping bag.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got my stratus pants and jacket along with core heavyweight layers and fanatic hoodie from Sitka Gear. This stuff sure is nice! I guess I just have to believe that layering with this stuff will keep me warm into the 30s and 20s. It's so thin! Also ordered the merino base layers and sanctuary bib and jacket from First Lite. I know it's probably overkill for NC but for those few hunts in the low 20s it'll sure be nice and toasty. I feel like I'm in a functional sleeping bag.

I know for a fact that the FL sanctuary system is good to the mid teens with the single base layer system from first light. In ohio last year I added the midweight base layers when it was 2 degrees and I was as comfortable as it gets for a 6 hour sit.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
As others have said, I'm sure this is highly dependent on ones individual needs and the temperatures where we hunt. I hunt mainly in NC, TN, and SC so the temperatures are all fairly similar. Also I mainly hunt from tree stands so wearing thicker bulkier camo is no concern for me as it just adds extra padding to some metal seats when the padding gets wet or is missing.

Ultimately the cheaper stuff has worked great for me. I don't normally go as cheap as the Walmart stuff but just look for deals on redhead, cabelas, academy, or field and stream sales or clearance items and layer as needed. However, I have heard that this approach does not work well out west where you are typically doing a lot more spot and stalk style hunting and hiking miles at a time. That's where I have heard these higher end brands excel since they are made to be breathable in certain areas and light and comfortable for hiking. I'm going on a mule deer hunt in Colorado this year so I'll find out first hand how true this is since I don't own any of the higher end stuff other than the one set of under amour I got on a 50% off sale.

Just figured I'd relay some of the feedback I've heard from the guys that buy the stuff.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Resurrecting this thread since its gonna start getting cold again.

I just bought a FL Woodbury jacket. I always hike in with a climber in minimal clothing to help prevent sweating my butt off. I put my cold weather clothes on when I get where I'm going. After reading reviews, the Woodbury seemed to be just what I was looking for. Ranger roll it in the pack and put it on when I get there. Baselayer and jacket should get me down to 35 or so, and a good mid layer should get me down in the low 20s pretty comfortably. The sanctuary jacket sounded a little too warm for our area, especially considering that I can layer beneath the Woodbury if needed. Really liked the quietness of the reviews and videos I saw. And that its windproof as well.

Ill update when it gets here with initial thoughts and then ill test it out and keep y'all informed.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The Woodbury jacket is awesome in my opinion. I highly doubt you will be disappointed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I really hope it's as good as people say it is. I was looking into goose down jackets but it was hard to find one in camo that wasn't covered in a loud exterior material. The kuiu down jacket was loud enough it would scare off everything within 2 miles I believe.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I bought Kuiu several years ago and found it to be incredibly well made and fit better than anything else I ever tried. I've hunted several states with it in many conditions. I'm not a fan of either camo color they offer.