No Skunk Rule

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
The last three times Cap'n Frank and I went trolling for Spanish we ended up catching 9 once and 11 twice. Today we fish the same spots around Carolina Beach Inlet and down the beach almost to Kure from 6 to 9:30am and caught one keeper about 8 oclock. We also caught one really small one that went back in. So the no skunk rule wasn't in effect but some days the fish just aren't biting. There'll be more days when we catch fish than days like this so its all good.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
In the past I found that what works for Spanish trolling one may might not work the next. If you speed up or slow down or add more weight it can sometimes make a big difference. Also going from silver spoon to gold would work sometimes.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Trolling weights, planners in 1 or 2 sizes, Yozuri DD's, O or 00 Clarkspoons all catch Spanish, somedays they want a small bait high up in the water column. The next day maybe something deeper, or just not biting,, may be farther off the beach. I have caught them trolling right down the breakers and a couple of miles off the beach.

Fishing is a sport of relaxation, catching takes energy.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
What is the no skunk rule?

It means we caught two fish and had one in the cooler so we did not get skunked, which of course means zero fish. In the game of cribbage if you aren't on the last row of the peg board when your opponent goes past 120 points you have been skunked.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
In the past I found that what works for Spanish trolling one may might not work the next. If you speed up or slow down or add more weight it can sometimes make a big difference. Also going from silver spoon to gold would work sometimes.

We put out two rods and two handlines with different weights on the rods and different planers on the hand lines. We also put different colors and sizes of Clark spoons on them. If one thing does significantly better we might switch to that but we usually catch them on all of the choices. But somedays the fish don't want anything to do with any of them.