Fishing for Deer

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Got a new twist on fishing thought I would share. Many years ago was sitting in a bow stand and had put out a cotton ball with Tinks, and a nice 8 pt walks out and puts his nose on that cotton ball. Couple of times seen this work over the years. Well, was sitting in a high elevated stand few years ago and I ran a fishing line from that stand, down into a bottom about 50 yds, and when in the stand I attached a small fish weight to that line and attached a cotton ball of Tinks deer lure and send it down that line and that morning killed a buck only a few yards from that Tinks soaked cotton ball, so I know this will work. Well, I just moved a box blind to a new spot that I am looking forward to hunting this fall. Deep in the woods I hunt is a firing lane like 90 yards long...in a straight line....and has for several years now been a drawing card for bucks....scrapes on it every year....and have seen does in area headed to that firing lane from my stand but have never been able to catch Mr big visiting it. I have now moved a box blind to the very end of this firing lane and off to left of it...like 80 yards down toward a big creek...have made a mineral site, salt block and mineral block and have trimmed a small opening to this site. Out front window facing the firing lane have hopefully come up with a way to use my Tinks idea. Have run a braid line from my stand like 50 yards on the edge of this firing lane and at the end of the line have a small eye hook screwed into a tree, the line thru it and back to my stand. The ends go thru small hole in corner of stand and are attached to 2 fishing reels...one for reeling in line with Tinks ball on it and other for pulling the line out to desired position...like almost all the way to the eye hook. Completely quiet, no odor...handle every thing with rubber gloves...reel in at end of hunt, remove cotton ball, new one sent out on next hunt, or when wind blowing in my favor. The line is like 5 or 6 feet high at the end so nothing can walk thru and hit the line. What we will do to kill a buck...always dreaming.

Last edited:

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Thats interesting. If you post pix, I'll probably do that too! Would make good use of the fishing reels that I dont use anymore, plus have a longer range of scent dispersion. I like it!

Last edited:

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
Get a pack of tampons, they already have a string attached to tie on to the line and hold alot more scent than a cotton ball.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I used to hate to mess up the area by dragging a scent rag around. Not to mention the deer i probably scared off. I used to take my son, who was little at the time, and soak small porous rocks with tinks and let him shoot them with a slingshot.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Get a pack of tampons, they already have a string attached to tie on to the line and hold alot more scent than a cotton ball.

Have found that a small cotton ball attached to a paper clip....just hang it on the line with a plastic bead in front of it...stops it from sliding down line and then when retrieving helps from sliding on line also....one ball just little on it all you need. At what..$7-$8 a bottle...get expensive pouring lot out when little all you need. Have also used apple scent, doe pea, vanilla extract with success also. Killed nice doe using vanilla drag rag...followed me right to my tree.