Canada Moose Hunt

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Has anyone on here done a Canada Moose hunt and if so, can you say what outfitter you went with and if you'd recommend them? Canada seems like my best bet for doing a moose hunt on a budget for two people. I'm wanting to pay for my Mom to go moose hunting which is the real goal. Shes always wanted to go but shes getting up there in age and not physically able to chase Moose on a DIY hunt so would definitely require an outfitter. I know it sounds crazy that I'm taking my Mom hunting but long story short, single mom with three kids and she still managed to teach me how to hunt growing up. I wouldnt be doing it now if it wasnt for her and would like nothing more than to see her get a Moose which is something she has always wanted to do but could never afford.

I'd like to start planning a moose hunt for the 2018 season since I know most are already booked up for the 2017 season. Plus Im already taking her on a Colorado Mule Deer hunt this year for the 2017 season. That one is a DIY on public land. Not looking at a massive trophy moose, just something she can be proud of which most of the photos I've seen in the Newfoundland area would meet that goal.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Canada has more than one species of moose, check carefully. When I went to Alberta there were moose everywhere, and the "trophy" moose were much smaller than some of our species here in the US.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
547f97ed8c27d15c46825989220525c8.gif
eastern or Canadian moose I've killed two on private land that I just asked the landowner for permission. Both in northern Maine. Unless you got the time to put in to scout it's a difficult undertaking. Maine, NH, and Vermont are all lottery draw. Parts of Canada getting the tag may not be to hard but the logistics of doing a self hunt could be daunting. Good luck
Outfitter be way to go. The other thing to consider is moose is some of the best game you'll every taste so a plan to get it home would be important. That is why for me any choice for me would involved driving

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Are you looking for a gun or bow hunt? I know guys that regularly go on both and can ask a couple of them if they'd be willing to take a call from you. One of the local archery shops organizes bow hunts every two years (or at least still did a few years ago). As for gun hunts, one friend and his relatives have gone several times and another one goes every year or two. They all go to the Canadian maritime provinces.

Lance

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I'm leaning towards a rifle hunt but am not opposed to a bow hunt. I'm decent with my bow but typically when I travel or spend money on a hunt like that I tend to hedge my bet with my rifle.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Being the resident Canadian here i can help with a bit of info.
How much you want to spend?
what odds are you looking at?

I have done fly in trips to remote lakes, no guides and had a great hunt, and this year i am planning a moose hunt and currently by myself.
PM me or ask away here, i also have a few friends in the hunting show business that give me insight on places and outfitters they have used

8DuckCaller

Button Buck

I have done fly in trips to remote lakes, no guides and had a great hunt, and this year i am planning a moose hunt and currently by myself.
PM me or ask away here, i also have a few friends in the hunting show business that give me insight on places and outfitters they have used

What this guy offered to you is priceless. Pick his brain. I was drawn for the Maine Moose Hunt a few years ago. A friend of mine is a reg. guide up there. Had a great trip and was able to take a 47" moose. We split the meat and man 1/2 of a moose is a lot of meat. Hope this works out for you. A bull moose up close to you is a real exciting thing to see. Best of luck.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer

Dobber, I'm looking to spend around $5K. I know I have to go with a guide as a nonresident. I would prefer really good odds since again this is a bucket list hunt for my mom and she probably wont have another chance to moose hunt. From what I've heard and read, it looks like Newfoundland is probably gonna be the place to end us based on my requirements. Do you have any recommendations on outfitters there?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
most of the better outfitters/guides on Newfoundland charge more that 5k for a moose I expect,,,,at least from my research,,,,,,,

You will pay more than 5k for a trophy moose hunt. In Alberta you can hunt with a guide or resident host hunter. Lots of moose between Athabasca and Fox River in Alberta. Don't know what province you're looking at going to but it is a blast and a ton of work if you're deep in the woods. My moms family is from Alberta so I have a plethora of resident host hunters whenever I want to hunt up there so I can't recommend an outfitter. Good luck.

TacticalTed.com

Four Pointer
I went on a Newfoundland moose hunt in 2005 and was able to bag a moose, bear, and woodland caribou on the same hunt.
I would highly recommend my outfitter - Moose Valley Outfitters. We flew in to camp aboard a radial engine Beaver and landed on a remote lake. Saw no signs of roads or anything human on the flight! Very happy with my experience.
The pic. at left is me on that hunt leaning against my downed moose.

Last edited:

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
The fly in trips i have done in Ontario have been self guided for $1600 each person, drive to base camps less than that depending on tags and where i am looking at this fall is less than $5k and all my prices are Canadian $$
Debating on taking the kid with me, we would still only be allowed one tag but its only an extra $700 for 2 of us, if not will keep looking for a partner so it would only be $2600 each

Cant spoil the kid too much though

Once i get another reply from the outfitter will share his info
For an almost guarantee hunt NFLD is the place to go, last few years this place has over 90% kill rate, talked to him for a bit and found out why the "city" hunter didn't tag out, wasn't for lack of moose or shots fired lol

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I hunted bears with Bear Paw Outfitters in Alberta. They offer hunts for bear, moose, whitetail, mule deer and elk. Great lodge, great guides. A local guy from down here actually went up there and guided for a year. In moose season, I think they offer combo hunts as well. We flew into Edmonton, and drove north...The moose aren't the big Alaskan variety, but the country is awesome...

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I would highly recommend my outfitter - Moose Valley Outfitters.

That looks like a really good option and reasonable prices, thanks for sharing. For others that have posted that I cant get a trophy moose for under $5K, a trophy moose was never one of my requirements. We're looking for a high success rate hunt which would result in a respectable moose. Would love to get a trophy moose but Im realistic and know I cant accomplish that for my budget.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For the Alberta area I used Grease Creek Outfitters, it's not a big outfit but they have some really good property and he hires great local guides. I've never done a moose hunt with them, but when I was up for deer there were moose all over the place. On the first day of cruising for whitetail we walked right up to a big bull. They have great success rate with all their game.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
A buddy of mine shot one in Northern MN one of the last years they had a hunt. He and his dad obviously drove there being in state.

How have you all gotten the meat home? Do you drive? Have it processed there and shipped back?

8DuckCaller

Button Buck
A buddy of mine shot one in Northern MN one of the last years they had a hunt. He and his dad obviously drove there being in state.

How have you all gotten the meat home? Do you drive? Have it processed there and shipped back?

If you ship back have plenty of $$$. My friend had a walk-in cooler. We let it hang 2 days, cut up meat, divided, and I didn't slow up until I was back in S.C.