Antelope archery Wyoming hunt

NC_GSP

Spike
Well I've put in for an antelope hunt this year. It's been on my bucket list to get out west and kill animal not found here. I'm probably going solo as all my hunting buddies are not available. That being said if anyone has the crazy itch like I did and wants to give it a whirl I'm driving mid Aug for a week and there may be leftover tags available.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
fun hunt,,,I've been out there three times chasing pronghorn with my bow and was lucky three times,,,,,,I hunted between Gillette and Douglas

which area? Public land or private?

at any rate, they are a blast with a bow,,,,good luck

NC_GSP

Spike
Also, moose could i give you a call sometime to talk antelope archery success. If so just pm your number. Thanks!

jgav

Four Pointer
Whats the technique on pronghorn with the bow? Spot and stalk and play the wind and creep in on your belly?

I've been out west for elk, and felt like anything less than a full week (which still isn't even enough really) makes it difficult on a new public land spot. Is it the same with Antelope? or does the wide open spaces make it a little easier to find them?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Also, moose could i give you a call sometime to talk antelope archery success. If so just pm your number. Thanks!

It's woodmoose - moose is a much wiser and more respectable guy - I'm just forum riff-raff,,,,,

But yea, call if you'd like

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It's woodmoose - moose is a much wiser and more respectable guy - I'm just forum riff-raff,,,,,

But yea, call if you'd like

I'd say don't believe much what woodmoose says but he speaks the truth ;) he'd be my call if I was planning such an undertaking.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
It will be fun. I went there in 2015 and had a blast. 12 of us went and all of us filled our tags. We hunted DIY on public land and paid a trespass fee to access a private ranch.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I went to WY in 2010 (I think) and shot one the first day. It was a longish shot, but it ended up being the best one I saw while we were there. My buddy got one on day 3. All public land and we did have some help from a local buddy. All in all a great trip. Our archery hunt was spot and stalk, which basically means you have to pick animals that are in places you can actually stalk.

I'm headed back again this fall for archery antelope, but it will be waterholes and blinds per my contact. I'm mainly going to check out the Elk possibilites for the future. I hope it all works out.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
How many preference points do you have? I haven't looked at that particular unit, but if doing a public land hunt, how much public land is available to hunt? Units with high public land and decent animals tend to take a couple points to draw, unless you pay extra for a special draw.
I have 3 points, and will get a fourth this year. That's probably more than I need, but I want a good unit, which I'll wait until probably '19 to go. No big rush and will be going to MT next year for elk.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've been saving antelope pts in Wyoming since the started - I reckon next year is my year to draw a Red Desert area,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm buying a leftover tag and keeping my points. :)

only reason I won't use them is if the herd took an inordinate hit in that area,,,looks good so far,,,,,,,I have max points,,,,,,,no sense saving just to save,,,,,,I have accrued these just to hunt the Red Desert,,,,,

wl704

Ten Pointer
Whats the technique on pronghorn with the bow? Spot and stalk and play the wind and creep in on your belly?

I've been out west for elk, and felt like anything less than a full week (which still isn't even enough really) makes it difficult on a new public land spot. Is it the same with Antelope? or does the wide open spaces make it a little easier to find them?

From what I've seen most bowhunting is over a water supply. Or ambush style if you know the cross through an area and have some cover. And cover (other than a small hill) is in short supply where we were.

The Pronghorns run all over the place when you're driving around but seemed to me to be very skittish in the open and away from roads.

For me for elk the game was to cover as much ground as possible to find them...then make a play. As you said we needed the better part of a week just to find the elk. We started finding elk when we got well away from all trails/roads.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
only reason I won't use them is if the herd took an inordinate hit in that area,,,looks good so far,,,,,,,I have max points,,,,,,,no sense saving just to save,,,,,,I have accrued these just to hunt the Red Desert,,,,,

How many points is max? I have 7 for antelope, elk and deer.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have 10 points for antelope going in to 2017 - I'll get another here next month when I purchase my preference points - I will have 11 antelope points going in to the 2018 draw - and that STILL isn't a 100% draw in the red desert! go figure

I have 11 for deer (it started earlier than antelope for me - 11 is max points for antelope), 8 for elk (burned my points when I hunted Unit 38 a few years ago),,,may just do a super boondoggle next year!!

pretty good chart here that shows how many non-residents have how many points

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/TOTAL_PREF_POINTS_EDA.pdf

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Well I've put in for an antelope hunt this year. It's been on my bucket list to get out west and kill animal not found here. I'm probably going solo as all my hunting buddies are not available. That being said if anyone has the crazy itch like I did and wants to give it a whirl I'm driving mid Aug for a week and there may be leftover tags available.

hey - 56% of that area is private but there are some large sections of BLM and state land but I haven't done any analysis on access - need to look hard at BLM maps for that area

also, contact the Chamber of Commerce in Kaycee and Edgerton - tyhey may can help you with land owners who do trespass fee access. Wyoming did have a Walk in Program as well - check and see if it's still ongoing and if there are any registered properties in that area

good luck in the draw

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Dont forget to search WY Game and Fish sites and apply for PLPW(private land public wildlife).

Been 2x on rifle DIY. 1st time we had free access to 60k acres private...2nd time in different unit we had free access to 30k private.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I've been saving antelope pts in Wyoming since the started - I reckon next year is my year to draw a Red Desert area,,,,,

Woodmoose if you dont kill a PY buck with bow or BC buck with rifle in the Red Desert you didnt hunt hard enough..at least thats what they all say

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Woodmoose if you dont kill a PY buck with bow or BC buck with rifle in the Red Desert you didnt hunt hard enough..at least thats what they all say

that's what they say

but then I killed a buck in a an area that was 100% draw every year (with leftover tags) that has enough horn for P&Y,,,,,,,,,,,they are where you find them,,,,,,

but the red desert is a "classic" big pronghorn area,,,and why I want to hunt it at least once,,,,just to do it,,,,,,