Confirmed.....Whats been eating the birdseed?

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Doe.

Big fat Doe.

Belly hanging low Doe.

Comes in every night between 9 and 1.

Bird feeder is 15 feet from the house.

She walks up and looks in the bay window.

If the dogs bark she scoots into the woods for 10 minutes and comes back out.

Looks in the window from a distance the second time.

Nudges the feeder with her nose.

Eats the seeds off the ground.

Feeder nudge.

Munch. Munch.

Feeder nudge.

Gobble Gobble.

Feeder nudge.....empty. Go's back in the woods.

So.

I put out a cup of corn the last two nights for her.

She ate it all.

And she emptied the feeder both times as well.

She's a hoot to watch.

With luck we'll get to see her lil one here soon.

Meantime....I gotta buy more birdseed.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I'm tryin to get some pics. Shes a late feeder and so far, all the pics are too dark even with the floods on. Can't use the flash through the window. Perhaps, Friday evening I'll sit out on the porch and see what happens.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Here she is. Came out tonight before the weather and before dark. She's dropped her fawn in the past several days and as we saw over a period of 30 minutes of feeding on corn and birdseed and greens, she's fulla milk. Lil one is around here somewhere.

These pics are 10 feet from the bay window. She hears us talking and looks in to see if the dogs are behaving then just feeds.

R467JHx.jpg

PsZfGca.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah. GoodWife is already planning menus....protein, carbs, vitamins, carrots, potatoes, peanut butter, water with ice, a tractor shed with fresh straw to keep the rain off the fawn......won't be long, she'll have me swappin that 3030 for a wide screen TV so Momma and Baby can watch Bambi.......

MAM3006

Six Pointer
That's funny! My wife would do the exact same thing.

Last winter we had one that raided the bird feeder consistently. Ours was only 5-6 feet off the ground so they had a much easier job of it.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I took some video but the camera struggles to keep it clear through the glass as I zoom. We were lucky, storms in the area last night musta drove the pressure up or down and out she came for an early supper. I'm waiting to see what I'll be feedin tonight. I'm guessing some smorgasboard of carrots, taters, corn, beans, jasmine rice, steamed broccoli and what ever other vegetable my now very excited wife can dig out and platter for her new pet! Last year we fed a 6 point all the flowers in the front yard. She was mad as heck....big switch.....I think she just don't like bucks.

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Back again last evening, right before dark. Ate like a furry vacuum cleaner for 30 minutes.

GoodWife advises the Doe has a name....seems its "Baby Girl".

I am advised that this evenings dinner will consist of a small quantity of corn, a rather larger quantity of birdseed, dried beans, whole carrots and apple slices. There was also much discussion concerning water and the installation of a bucket for same and my potential future duties with regards to said bucket. Hmmmm.....I believe we have a new pet.

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Small kiddy swimming pool works well for water.
Yard deer love bananas once they try them.
Pnut butter is a huge hit also.
And believe it or not deer love fresh white bread!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Doe.

Big fat Doe.

Belly hanging low Doe.

Comes in every night between 9 and 1.

Bird feeder is 15 feet from the house.

She walks up and looks in the bay window.

If the dogs bark she scoots into the woods for 10 minutes and comes back out.

Looks in the window from a distance the second time.

Nudges the feeder with her nose.

Eats the seeds off the ground.

Feeder nudge.

Munch. Munch.

Feeder nudge.

Gobble Gobble.

Feeder nudge.....empty. Go's back in the woods.

So.

I put out a cup of corn the last two nights for her.

She ate it all.

And she emptied the feeder both times as well.

She's a hoot to watch.

With luck we'll get to see her lil one here soon.

Meantime....I gotta buy more birdseed.

You'll have her patterned nicely by bow season - better not sell them crossbow bolts

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I have 4 boxes of them bolts. 2 boxes will likely be my lifetime supply and anyway, been thinking of ditching cross bow in favor of a Mongol recurve. Cross bow is getting too bulky and way to hard to pull back. But mostly cause cross bow makes killing too easy. flat as a laser to 35 yards and nearly as fast as a bullet.....not much bow hunting challenge

Trouble will come if I make the mistake of killing "Baby Girl"......Gonna have to look hard come hunting season and make durn sure it ain't her cause its for sure GoodWife has memorized this here doe!

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Guaranteed she won't be able to tell once meets in the cooler

And ref Mongol recurve - you planning to hunt them on horseback? They are a little temperamental to me, more a gimmick bow - but to each his own.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Nope. Just want to learn to shoot and hunt instinctive and the mongol is the shortest bow (48" or less) I can drag around in the thick. Crossbow totally sucks donkeys for stalking and longer bows always seem to hang up on stuff overhead or the wheels gather crap, etc

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
if it was instinctive we wouldn't have to practice,,,,,,,,,,,

I know,,,,back in my hole,,,,,,,,

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Better hit the sides of that deer with some blaze orange paint balls. Mark it so it will not become the target..

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
BabyGirl came in for evening yumms.......birdseed and corn. Lilbit wasn't with her tonight. Perhaps the pair will show tomorrow.

hxndp1x.jpg

M1swtuc.jpg

Johyuqs.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Already had that discussion with GoodWife! I shoot her this year and its flayed and salted for me! Evidently if they come into the front yard they are pets.

Meantime, Rings the Raccoon came in to eat what BabyGirl didn't slobber on......

Mc9FFeR.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Vacuum lips was in at 4 pm today and ate it all. We left at 330 and came back at 430 due to a home showing. I corned and bird seeded right before I left. Little hussy must be sleepin right on the buffet. With luck, the prospective buyers got to see Mrs. Piggy demolish the dining table.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Broke some new ground with BabyGirl tonight. She's pretty comfortable coming in about 730 at full light. Even ignores the traffic going just by on the road about 30 yards up hill along the drive way.

So. I was standing in the upstairs den, she's looking up at me and I figured what the heck. She already listens to me talking to GoodWife when we are in the living room downstairs 10 feet from her. She can hear us through the glass.

So....downstairs I went. Talking all the time to GoodWife....and I unlocked the casement window 15 feet from her feed. Slowly, talking all the while, cranked open the window. She stayed. Watched me....ate, watched me, ate and ran off.

One minute later she's back at the edge of the woods, 20 feet out looking at me standing in the window. Couple foot stomps and she moves back out to the dining area.

Spooks again.

So I sat down, head out the window and made those lovely soft kissing noises everyone makes for no good reason when they want an animal to come in close.

Two minutes later, in she came. Watched me a bit, listened to my kisses and once again looked up with that look that says "Shut it, I'm eatin."

Finished her meal. Walked a bit closer to the window to look me over to which I told her she's a very Pretty Girl.

She stuck her nose up and meandered off into the brush.

Guess we'll see her tomorrow night.

GoodWife wondered about the kisses...... But I told her it was so that if I made a kiss noise in the woods, I'd not shoot at the doe that didn't tense up or spook, so as to identify her before the shot. I lied. Its just something dumbasses do to call in animals, it ain't supposed to work.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
While sitting at the table putting a 2x7 scout scope on dads Springfield M1 Garand for deer season.....Mom and Dad sitting on the couch watching the greatest war movie ever filmed.....Cross of Iron.....

BabyGirl treats us to a family dinner.

In she comes......with Lilbit (her daughter or sister we believe) and BabyGirls two babies, both button heads....twin bucks. We are sure they are BabyGirls button heads since Lilbit is totally dry in the udder, BabyGirl is still carrying milk.

BabyGirl and her twin Bucklets....(pretty sure both have bumps on the head where horns will sprout later) So....the baby bucklets names are Firecracker and Sparkey

qslJqBF.jpg

KcrotNi.jpg

lKOzBir.jpg

And BabyGirl on the right with LilBit on the left....

8tuOogg.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Well.....might be one step closer to a Bow/Rifle (in season) shoot order.

Seems BabyGirl has a new name.....Corn Whore.

Now, GoodWife is still learning about the wild, so I'm not surprised she's never considered survival and dominance issues before. But I came home tonight and I got the good earful....

Ya know what that Lil Corn Whore of your BabyGirl did? She's a pig, old sucker lips or what ever you call her (Vacuum Lips I call her, its her nick name) but she's a mean Bitc-you-know-what.

The little doe, last years, her daughter or sister or whatever you said.....The little one came out, LilBit, that's her, LilBit. She wasn't even eatin the corn, just standin there 5 feet back in the woods watchin.

That Corn Whore go's in the woods, rares up and beats her back with both front feet (Those are hooves Honey), Whatever the heck, feet, hooves, she beats the LilBit down and sends her another 20 yards into the woods and the LilBit won't even come out now and Sucker Face, that hussy, she ate all the corn. Every bit of it, like it was all hers.

At this point, I tried to explain....I was interrupted and advised as follows.....

If yer gonna be at my house yer gonna be perlite. And that goes for People, Dogs, Deer, Raccoons, OPussums, Foxes, Rabbits......all of em!

So.....If ya ever come around the house.....be polite. I dayum sure will! GoodWife is Pissed OFF!

Last edited: