walk in bathtub

croatankid

my wife wants a walk in bath tub. I wonder if they are all that. What's your experience?

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
Stayed at a friends beach house which had a large walk in shower with two shower heads. I thought it was great and would incorporate into a new home or retro fit if I could.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'd never heard of one until you mentioned it. Looks like something that would be useful for people at risk of falling.

PTman

Four Pointer
i have seen a few people that had them. they dont use them that much b/c it takes so much water to fill it up each time they use it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Shower was easier when I had my back surgery. ..
Wife could open the door and help me wash down low out of reach as I could not bend.

I could only picture the wife helping me in a walk in tub.....
Honey, hold your breath, I will hold you down so you can wash my feet and legs......

Also if you fart it bubbles up to your face.......
Nope dont need one. If I cant use a normal tub or shower I will have the wife take me to the carwash and I will ride through in the back of the truck in my chair.....

Or sit on the deck and have her hose me down and soap me up.....

croatankid

The amount of water isn't an issue, for my wife. My concern is when we get very old we might need help while in the tub. I've read that it's very hard to help someone that is in the tub. How can you help them stand up or wash because there is so little room in them. You can't lie down in them. We had a zukuze (sp) back in the 80s. it was nice but I didn't like being stuck in it for more than a few minutes. And then I was burdened with cleaning and maintaining the thing. Equal to three regular shower stalls.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
The thing I don't like about any tub is sitting in the dirty water after I wash. With a regular tub I can step out and dry off. With a walk in I have to sit there until it drains and the door can be opened....YUK!!! I'll stick to showers thank you...

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Mom is 76. Dad is 78. Last year they had the contractor come in and yank the tub. Tiled the entire bathroom and where the tub was, set it up with chair, grab rails, shower heads and a shower curtain. No lip, no tub just a good drain so. She walks in, sits, showers, and can even dry off all without having to climb over a tub side or having a tub door that might leak. She's not able to use a tub at all so for her and dad, shower is it. Over all, they love it and its much safer for them. We looked at the tub with a door but backed away since there are seals that could fail making a mess.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Mom is 76. Dad is 78. Last year they had the contractor come in and yank the tub. Tiled the entire bathroom and where the tub was, set it up with chair, grab rails, shower heads and a shower curtain. No lip, no tub just a good drain so. She walks in, sits, showers, and can even dry off all without having to climb over a tub side or having a tub door that might leak. She's not able to use a tub at all so for her and dad, shower is it. Over all, they love it and its much safer for them. We looked at the tub with a door but backed away since there are seals that could fail making a mess.
Sharps 40 beat me to it, plus, as Bailey Boat said, who wants to sit in dirty bathwater as it drains? Yuk.

My MIL is in assisted living. No tubs. Walk in showers with seats and grab rails. IMHO, that's the way to go and what my wife are going to do when the time comes.

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I'll be doing this as soon as we sell the place we're in and buy the retirement house. Get it done while I can and not have to worry about getting it done when I get a little bit wobbly later.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep the new walk in showers with shower heads on side walls with a seat, chair or other device works best.

we have a big tub and shower next to it.
I always thought about removing both for one big shower with 10 to 15 heads that change from spray to mist and anything in between. ...

Stayed at a friends house that had the full bathroom tiled and set for full water anyplace.
He had a tub the could move around with flex hose for water.
There were several drains in the floor that picked up water from the tub or shower.
The shower was open front and side being in the corner. Had shower head on top, back corner and a few on the walls.
Best shower or bathroom I have ever seen.
Reminds me of a high end pool shower or from a sports complex.

The could clean the full bath with a garden hose that hangs on the wall by the tub.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My cousin has a single bathroom tiled floor to ceiling. The toilet is mounted on the back and a drain is in the middle. A person could sit on the toilet while taking a shower (with the hand-held shower head). I sure could have used a set up like that in my wild college days.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I've never been in one but here is the issues I see with them. You have to enter the tub and shut the door while it's empty. Then you're sitting there naked sitting on a cold tub seat while it fills. After you finish your bath, you again have to sit there naked while the tub drains before you can open the door to leave. Other than when the tub is full of water, it doesn't sound like a fun experience.

pickle

Eight Pointer
firedawg60 Stayed at a friends beach house which had a large walk in shower with two shower heads. I thought it was great and would incorporate into a new home or retro fit if I could. What I don't live at the beach and I never remember you being at my house LOL But really took out the big unused garden tub and built custom BIG walk in shower with 2 shower heads at different heights one for short wife one for tall me. Love it

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
firedawg60 Stayed at a friends beach house which had a large walk in shower with two shower heads. I thought it was great and would incorporate into a new home or retro fit if I could. What I don't live at the beach and I never remember you being at my house LOL But really took out the big unused garden tub and built custom BIG walk in shower with 2 shower heads at different heights one for short wife one for tall me. Love it

Sounds awesome!