Fishing in the Inter-coastal waterway

JShope

I am new to fishing in saltwater. Can anyone please tell me what bait to use and how to fish with it while fishing in the back waters of the inter-coastal.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I'm surprised you haven't gotten any replies yet. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a double hook bottom rig and some shrimp. Or you can use a Carolina rig with mud minnows for flounder. Squid is a good bait and it stays on the hook better. That's pretty basic but it'll get you started.

NCGunDude

Eight Pointer
I grew up hunting and fishing on the SE NC coast. We did more surf fishing and trolling behind the inlets in the Spring and Fall. Floating for flounder in the summer, and trolling for trout in the winter.

Not too much bottom fishing, but I expect a two hook rig would work. Expect a lot of pen fish to steal your bait. I don't know if the Carolina Rig is the same as a fish finder, but that's good for flounder. Pick your trolling lure, grubs or whatever.

When I was real little, we did some crabbing and clamming, too. Good times!

JShope

I'm surprised you haven't gotten any replies yet. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a double hook bottom rig and some shrimp. Or you can use a Carolina rig with mud minnows for flounder. Squid is a good bait and it stays on the hook better. That's pretty basic but it'll get you started.

So is this good for just sitting and cast fishing or for trolling behind the boat. I would like to catch some drum and flounder.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Do you bass fish? If you do fish for drum and flounder just like you would for bass. Use the same gear look for that same structure and features. This is the easiest way to get started if you already bass fish. If not a Carolina rig or jig with a minnow or gulp bait will work.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I've had my best luck along the Intercoastal fishing the mouths of creeks and cuts, or deeper holes up in the creeks, on a falling tide. The falling tide will sweep baitfish and shrimp out of the grass, and the trout, reds, and flounders will be waiting in ambush. If there are oyster bars or dock pilings present, so much the better. Fish mud minnows or finger mullet on a Carolina rig or cast jigs baited with Gulp shrimp or jerk shads hopped along the bottom. Live shrimp, finger mullet, or small pinfish under a popping cork work well at times, too.