SC Non Resident?

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If you buy your SC Non Res hunting License and Big Game permit do you also have to buy Tags? or do you get X amount with the permit? kinda confused on it. I have a chance to hunt 350 acre's in SC this year for "free" but trying to fiqure out the Non Res thing. Thanks!

PG2

Ten Pointer
They did a number on the non-residents..... You pay $225 for the license and big game permit and the first buck tag where you an shoot anything is an additional $50 and then if you want to shoot a doe fork out another $10 per doe... The second and buck tag is another $20 and must be at least 3 up on the side.....

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
That doesn't sound too bad to me heck to go Neb its 300 just for turkey only, Ks is about 200 turkey only get lot hunting for that price out of stae license are high no way around it

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
That doesn't sound too bad to me heck to go Neb its 300 just for turkey only, Ks is about 200 turkey only get lot hunting for that price out of stae license are high no way around it
Yeah except thats the midwest where a 150" deer is a scrub buck. Danged if Im paying $300 in govt fees to hunt smaller deer than my backyard in an even more coyote infested state

Last edited:

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I will buy tags and hunt twenty minutes from my NC home every weekend. Glad they finally got tags. I predict the prices will go down for non-res eventually. I expect land owner's will get some type of special consideration eventually, too.

150 class deer are not a dime a dozen in any state. Let's not kid ourselves. Enough guys eat midwest tag soup annually to so testify. And the cost for access to ground in order to hunt a 150? Ouch. Does anybody really think those states don't have their own public land hunters? Come on, dude.

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
Haha, go elk hunting in CO, Wyo, Montana or Idaho. If you think it's spendy to hunt in SC, you'll probably keel over from sticker shock for elk or even deer out west as a non res.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
Haha, go elk hunting in CO, Wyo, Montana or Idaho. If you think it's spendy to hunt in SC, you'll probably keel over from sticker shock for elk or even deer out west as a non res.
Yeah all those Elk, muleys, cutthroat trout, and beautiful Rocky Mountain vistas in Greenville SC are just beckoning.....

Apples and oranges

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe im missing something. Tone seems to have shifted negative. Heck, Few hundred dollars for a license to shoot at over 11 tags on 350 free to use acres....who cares if its apples and oranges, The license fee is almost the cheapest part of any season on a big chunk of land. You have nothing invested in prep it seems. Looks to me like you got a great deal coming as early as Aug/Sept as SC starts hunting deer pretty early. Maybe just buy the license and go enjoy it. If not, I can think of 6 pals who go to SC yearly and will be happy to wear out the stands for ya. Seems to be a gift horse....ride it.

Last edited:

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Maybe im missing something. Tone seems to have shifted negative. Heck, Few hundred dollars for a license to shoot at over 11 tags on 350 free to use acres....who cares if its apples and oranges, The license fee is almost the cheapest part of any season on a big chunk of land. You have nothing invested in prep it seems. Looks to me like you got a great deal coming as early as Aug/Sept as SC starts hunting deer pretty early. Maybe just buy the license and go enjoy it. If not, I can think of 6 pals who go to SC yearly and will be happy to wear out the stands for ya. Seems to be a gift horse....ride it.

Nah, not negative just didn't understand if they were included with the Big Game permit, of course i wish it was but i probably ain't buying but a couple anyway ain't looking to shoot up the place, a decent buck and maybe a doe and i'm good, also the chance to hunt different place that look's to have some decent deer.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
OK. Part of confusion was me to. I was changing op with each reread! Getting senile I guess. But yer right. Same boat here, I go to sc. Try to get one or two. The new license fee is tuff to swallow. But the company in camp exceeds the value of many deer so I'll keep going and dayum the license cost. :)

Last edited:

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
My issue is how they did the pay schedule for non-residents vs residents, not the cost but how tags are paid for. I don't know of any other state that does it the way SC will do it, where residents tags are included in license fee but non-residents have to buy tags on top of all the other permits. I grew up hunting down there with my dad and grandpa and love the guys in camp, but this will probably be my last year hunting down there since I'd rather spend that money making memories in the Midwest or Western states. It's just an extra $110 but how they've setup the pay schedule has left a bad taste in my mouth when I compare to other states.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
They have a lot of deer from what I've seen. So, they feel they can charge non residents and we'll pay for the chance to see a lot of deer. Generally, they are right. I keep going. Now, the deer are fewer over the past 5 years, from what I've seen, the fellas and camp agree and so does the guide. But, the bucks we are shooting are getting much larger too. One thing I can count on in the Low Country.....our small group will bring home deer for everybody most every time. There are still a lot of deer in SC and you can start hunting with a rifle a lot earlier in the year. Overall, its a generous state to hunt in.

Last edited:

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
If you are a public land hunter like me it blows NC out of the water and that's even after all the clubs started leasing
up paper company land that had been in the Wma system in the mid to late 90's. I have no qualms with the cost non-residents pay, I'm just irked that residents get tags with their permit and non-residents don't. Of course a lot of low country guys are peeved with Florida hunters coming up so they'd rather no non-resident hunting take place, so it's better than nothing. I'm just gonna pay to play the game in other states until it changes. I'll probably just get two buck tags and two doe tags this year unless I fill those, at least you can pay as you go.

I Hunt

Old Mossy Horns
Just a reminder for those that will be coming down to SC to hunt, please order your tags early. Good luck this season

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Just a reminder for those that will be coming down to SC to hunt, please order your tags early. Good luck this season

yeap,,,,per SCDNR mine are "in the mail",,,,,,,,,,,I'll be in a stand in 11 mornings,,,,,,,,,,,,