Non Resident License- can I use my hunter safety certificate from another state?

zippo

Button Buck
want to hunt NC this year. NY resident. according to nc rules all have to have gone to a hunter safety course.
even though I am 64 and been hunting for 45 years!
I still have my hunter safety course certificate from way back. Someone said I could use that, I do not have to get one in NC. Anyone know if that is true?

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
Im certain that if you were born before a certain date in the 90s you dont need it, but maybe its changed in the last 5 years

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Those things transfer all over the place but its a good idea to have a copy of the number in your phone. Never know when you will be out of state purchasing a license and need it. Its on our NC licences at least mine, but that doesnt do you much good when your in Nebraska and leave the NC license at home like my wife did recently. I even had to send someone to my house and give them my gunsafe code once while I was in Maui trying to get a hunting license.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
NCGS113-270.1A. Hunter safety course required.

(a) Except as provided in subsections (a1) and (d) of this section, on or after July 1, 2013, a person, regardless of age, may not procure a hunting license in this State without producing a hunter education certificate of competency or one of the following issued by the Wildlife Resources Commission:

(1) A North Carolina hunting heritage apprentice permit.

(2) A hunting license issued prior to July 1, 2013.

So if u have an out of state hunting license youre good to go

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Those things transfer all over the place but its a good idea to have a copy of the number in your phone. Never know when you will be out of state purchasing a license and need it. Its on our NC licences at least mine, but that doesnt do you much good when your in Nebraska and leave the NC license at home like my wife did recently. I even had to send someone to my house and give them my gunsafe code once while I was in Maui trying to get a hunting license.

My hunter safety certificate from PA does not have a number on it.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Been checked hunting and fishing in several NC counties over the years. Still have my Texas Hunters Ed card from 81' and Ky from 04'.

CD

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I believe the requirement for reciprocity is that the course be either 6 or 8 hours minimum. I'm sure NY qualifies there. Come on down and just don't lose your card. You'll be fine.