Help w surf cart FLOOR options

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I built a surf cart last year and certainly made some poor decisions when building it and it ended up costing me more than I thought it might. It's certainly WIDER than it should be -especially for taking up a beach access boardwalk. I got the wheels from a Barbie car. (Found 3 cars in a single roadside trash pile).

I tried it out once and realized the handle was too short - I've since lengthened it - but I had forgotten to glue the handle up! It was tight enough that it didn't come loose till we had hauled it to the water's edge. The to back was killer.

question: what should I use in the floor? There's not enough cross pieces to support the bucket or cooler. I had temporarily used thin plywood. Looking for something like plastic from a good grade pallet maybe...
4abd83de9ea7d83faa27aaf16a755000.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I have a piece of 1/4" fiberglass that would be ideal, if you can figure out how to get it from Kannapolis to "Eastern NC".....

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the ideas (and the offer, Bailey). I'll look around the farm and see what I might scrounge up...or head to Lowes.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Lowes has the light weight aluminum expanded metal that would let the sand fall through.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
I used a piece of vinyl lattice like you use around a deck, cut it to fit use ss screws to hold it down on the pvc pipe.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Lowes has the light weight aluminum expanded metal that would let the sand fall through.

I knew I should've walked every aisle at Lowes...

I used a piece of vinyl lattice like you use around a deck, cut it to fit use ss screws to hold it down on the pvc pipe.

I'll have to buy a full sheet although maybe they sell smaller than 4x8. That's worth a try, too.Could even double it up if I need the strength.

I like the idea of sand falling through but plexiglas would also keep a lot of stuff from falling in the sand - at least temporarily and possibly losing it. I'll think about it. If I don't like one, I'll try another.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd buy the angled aluminum stock and just put 4 or 5 pieces across the base. That would be sturdy enough to hold your cooler, even on a good day of fishing.