.357 reloading

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Question. Would anyone be interested in making me some cheap reloads for my powerhead? If you are not familiar with powerheads the bullet does very little of the work, the shock wave of the blast does most of the damage. Looking for something a little hotter than regular range loads but I have no need for a self defense bullet. Casing would have to be brass with a quality primer.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
Manufacturing ammunition for others requires an 07 FFL plus ITAR tax. Thats why you dont see tables full of reloads at flea markets or for sale online

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure that anyone would ever reload something hotter than normal for anyone just due to the risk.

Best bet is to pick up a lee load all in 357 and punch some out.
For less than 50$ you would be set for life.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Not sure that anyone would ever reload something hotter than normal for anyone just due to the risk.

Best bet is to pick up a lee load all in 357 and punch some out.
For less than 50$ you would be set for life.

concur,,,best option for you,,,get just what you want easily

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Besides legality, maybe someone would take some fish as a "trade" or just let me try a few round out. Little risk of anything happening as it will be on a spear 10+ feet away. To clarify on what I am looking for. 357 is already a magnum load so adding more powder would prob be ill advised but I think using a fast powder and a light projectile would create a larder concussive blast. The powerhead will also accept 38 which could be made at +p. I essentially have no barrel so a fast burning powder would be better so that I get the most burn before water hits it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
ITAR will hit me with a 10k fine.
They are after a friend and want to put him as a gunsmith in the same class as people that build fighter jets and aircraft carriers.....

Time for you to start reloading.

It would take all day to talk about cost and risk plus what a change a life it could cause.
Load ammo knowingly over safe levels and selling it and anything happens could cost a lot of jail time.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I am not talking about loading anything unsafe. All I am looking for is a combo at the top of the range. Factory ammo especially the cheap stuff is well within all specs. This stuff is going with one day of diving and then thrown away so I am looking for cheap rounds loaded at the top of the range. We are not talking about a true firearm and there is essentially zero pressure in the barrel. It's not worth even thinking about investing in reloading equipment for maybe a 100 rounds a year. I have a feeling we are not on the same page about what this actually is http://www.billsbangsticks.com/38-Special-357-Magnum-Ultralite-Powerhead_p_20.html

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I know what you are using it for.

Problem is it will fit any gun. In turn could blow up the gun and kill someone if they found it or recovered from your trash.
You stated hotter then range rounds..

Had me and others think that is hotter than what you can buy.

Why not just buy a box of target loads or +P+ loads.

Crap if you are wanting some, 5 to 10 a year ask your dealer, they have all types of ammo they will give you if you spend money there.
All will be unboxed from when someone trades a gun loaded and they place it in a coffee can.

Buy a box of 20 HD rounds, it will give you a few years and only 15 to 18$

I guess I dont know what you are after.

Yes I have used them in the past diving.
You want no lead showing and jacket bullet to seal better.

Lot of people shifted to 223 ammo for them or other rounds.

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I can understand that. They will be disposed of properly if not at the bottom of the ocean. I don't want any loads that are for sure bombs for a real gun either. I just think that I could come up with something cheaper and better for the application. If I find someone with some spare rounds I will try that route. Buying some premium ammo is not really worth it. I take a half dozen round down with me and I don't trust them after more than a handful of dives even with the case and primer sealed.
I'm just looking to get a cheap round with the mom "pop" when it goes off.
My buddy has the 223 and it's pretty effect but you sacrifice range with a much heavier tip on the spear. There is also a slight issue of having a larger load being forced out of a smaller opening so that actually percussion wave is not as sharp. I 357 can produce a sharper blast, prob splitting hairs.

I didn't want to ruffle any feather I am just looking for a premium round without paying for a premium bullet that is essentially going to waste.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you are on here....
Im sure you hunt and fish.

Ask the dealer you go to or any of the shops on the way to the beach or a pawn shop you hit up.

Im sure they will give you some for free.

BTW they make a 7.62x39
That would be kick :donk:donk:donk and cheap as you can get.

They are also making them for land based hunting also. Mount on spear or bow.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
This is all you need to tap out some rounds. Under $30 and you can reload all you want. I've tapped out complete .41 Mag and .38 S&W at 50 rds an hour. Good way to past the time away stuck in a hut in the German Alps.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/702138/lee-classic-loader-357-magnum
CD
That was my point.
Box of bullets 12$ Dies 28$ powder a other 10$ primmers 3$ you could load several hundred rounds and be set for little over 50$

One box ammo.18 to 25$ for 20 to 50 rounds.

Life time of use is priceless

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I got several lee classic loader and you would be surprised as to the quality of rounds they turn out....got 30-30, 357 mag and 35 rem......