NC Requirements for Out of State Kill

broodc2

Four Pointer
For the first time I'll be traveling outside of NC for a 5 day hunt this November. Can anyone point me to the regs. for what's required of any kill being brought back in state? I'll be driving, not flying. I'm mainly wondering about caping. Does the cape need to be skulled out? Any kind of check-in or additional tagging required? Just want to play by the rules. Thanks folks.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I would think that you only need to follow the tagging requirements for the state you harvested the animal, nothing more for NC.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
For the first time I'll be traveling outside of NC for a 5 day hunt this November. Can anyone point me to the regs. for what's required of any kill being brought back in state? I'll be driving, not flying. I'm mainly wondering about caping. Does the cape need to be skulled out? Any kind of check-in or additional tagging required? Just want to play by the rules. Thanks folks.

creekhobo gave you the skinny - depends what state/province you are hunting

broodc2

Four Pointer
Yeah, I know the risk is minimal. But can you imagine being THAT guy who introduced something like CWD to the entire state of North Carolina? haha. Kind of scary looking at Kentucky though. Almost every state surrounding it has CWD. But I checked their DNR and as of now there are still no cases of it there. Hopefully more guys think about that for those midwest hunts or elk hunts out west.

Slightly off topic but I wonder if it is an outfitter's responsibility in a CWD state to inform out-of-state clients about the requirements of game care if transporting back to a non-CWD state. It seems like that's just as important as ensuring proper licenses and field safety protocols.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Yeah, I know the risk is minimal. But can you imagine being THAT guy who introduced something like CWD to the entire state of North Carolina? haha. Kind of scary looking at Kentucky though. Almost every state surrounding it has CWD. But I checked their DNR and as of now there are still no cases of it there. Hopefully more guys think about that for those midwest hunts or elk hunts out west.

Slightly off topic but I wonder if it is an outfitter's responsibility in a CWD state to inform out-of-state clients about the requirements of game care if transporting back to a non-CWD state. It seems like that's just as important as ensuring proper licenses and field safety protocols.

I'd also be concerned about your trophy being confiscated. I realize what they're trying to do but it's a shame it's so hard to transport game.