Johnson Grass

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
I have what my dad and I believe to be Johnson Grass in the middle of my soybean plot. Its been sprayed several times. I'm getting ready to spray again in a month or less when the beans get taller.

Anything I can do to get rid of it permanently or just keep spraying it down like I have been? It comes back really fast, faster than any other grass or weed.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
I have a friend who had it in a small hay field. Killed the whole field, plowed it, killed everything again, then replanted grass. It still came back.
Maybe someone knows something more than he did.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a friend who had it in a small hay field. Killed the whole field, plowed it, killed everything again, then replanted grass. It still came back.
Maybe someone knows something more than he did.
It comes up from rhizomes and stolons as well as seeds, it is almost impossible to kill unless you use a pesticide that labeled specifically for it. Then it at times is better to spray wait to it starts dying till the soil and when it starts coming back spray and go through the same thing again to you have it. It is very persistent, but can be killed.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can use a wand, or wick and just wipe it with roundup if it is a small area. If you stay after it you can eventually kill it but it take perseverance.

m75rlg

Spike
Let it grow until just before the seed heads ripen. Spray (or wipe) with Round Up (2 to 2 1/2%). It is my understanding that at that time the Round Up will kill the seeds, rhizomes, and stalk.

However, unless you powerwash your equipment before you go in the field each time, you run the risk of introducing more seeds, so you will probably have to do this every year to stay ahead of it.

They used to tell the story here of a Texan that was up visiting and saw a patch of Johnson grass. He opinioned that he would like to have enough seed to establish a pasture for grazing cattle back home, and asked the farmer how many seed he would need to plant 50 acres. The farmer pulled 3 seeds off a stalk, handed it to the Texan and told him "Throw this down in the middle of your pasture and plow like hell. That should do it." :skeerd:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Let it grow until just before the seed heads ripen. Spray (or wipe) with Round Up (2 to 2 1/2%). It is my understanding that at that time the Round Up will kill the seeds, rhizomes, and stalk.

However, unless you powerwash your equipment before you go in the field each time, you run the risk of introducing more seeds, so you will probably have to do this every year to stay ahead of it.

They used to tell the story here of a Texan that was up visiting and saw a patch of Johnson grass. He opinioned that he would like to have enough seed to establish a pasture for grazing cattle back home, and asked the farmer how many seed he would need to plant 50 acres. The farmer pulled 3 seeds off a stalk, handed it to the Texan and told him "Throw this down in the middle of your pasture and plow like hell. That should do it." :skeerd:
I have two fields that it showed up in, both under an electric line. I know it had to be spread through bird crap. I got it finally with a wand (had fescue and orchard grass) I didn't want to wholesale spray. It took a while.

I messed up and let it go a couple years before I got on it. I think if I would have gotten on it the first year it would have been much easier to kill.