Groundhog Hunt (Graphic)

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
GRAPHIC. Has not been a good start to groundhog hunting. It's been cold, windy and rained about every day. I saw a bunch of groundhogs carrying suit cases, some riding in a canoe, most with an overcoat on and heading South. Having said that I did find a day here and there that I didn't need a canoe nor a raincoat and went pig hunting. Only one or two have had weather where they could mow their hay fields and those have been mowed in the last couple of days therefore the groundhogs are not comfortable with their new surroundings. Unfortunately not many farms being pastured and if not pastured then the weeds and briers have grown to such heights that you couldn't spot a bull elephant. LOL. Finally got Photobucket to upload a couple of photos. In the second photo that's a front leg that was blown 6 feet from the actual point of bullet impact.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I posted last night about MORE problems with Photobucket. I guess the A Holes blocked my photos. I went to update as suggested and found that they now want you to use your facebook account. No biggie until I read about all the data they now collect. I'm not willing to give them access to ALL of my contacts but even less willing for them to gain access to all of the contacts of my contacts. WTH?

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Boto Phucket is history as far as I'm concerned.

I used to find a few groundhogs around the fringes of Meat Camp and the Todd area if you can find anyone who will let you shoot them. Just saw one killed in the street near my home here in the East end of Gastonia. They just keep creeping further and further East.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Blackwater: I live a mile from Meat camp and about 3 miles from Todd. We have worked on groundhogs in this area pretty good and have "migrated" further north and west. Done a fair job of eliminating them in those areas also with the help IMO of the coyotes. Lots of places where we once saw lots of groundhogs but relatively few now days, not even along highways.

Not really hard to get permission from farmers to groundhog hunt, biggest problem is finding a place that is safe to hunt, so many houses stuck in every nook and cranny.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Not really hard to get permission from farmers to groundhog hunt, biggest problem is finding a place that is safe to hunt, so many houses stuck in every nook and cranny.

Lotta turkey up there along the South fork of the New. My uncle owns a place up there; he used to do some guest preaching at the church in Todd. You don't know any Reids in that area do you? A good buddy of mine is from there; we usually go up for the New River Bluegrass festival each October and get rained on half the time. Too many people buying up the land and sticking their houses on the prime spots to suit me.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Still lots of turkey but population seems to be down a lot. I think rainy spring/hatching season for the past 3 or so years has severely affected the young. I also think the over abundance of coons has worked on the nests. Best pre deer season game camera hits since about 2009, looking forward to a good deer season, now if the deer will only cooperate. LOL.

Don't know any Reids in the area but I do know the current pastor at the Baptist Church in Todd. An avid deer hunter who gives me a lot of carcasses for my coyote bait pile.

Been to the Bluegrass festival a few times and it was great but the rain did have a "dampening" effect. LOL.

Agree with you completely about to many "foreigners" moving in, buying a small lot just big enough to put a huge house on it then think they own the whole durn county.