New truck search is like.....

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Wildlife, I feel your pain.

I briefly was looking for a new truck a few months ago, but couldn't swallow the $40 - 50k price tag. I decided to keep the 2004 F150, put a new transmission in, and I'll just continue replacing what needs fixing.

I have been going down that road for a little too long at this point. My current truck is a 97 f150 with over 400K on it. New engine, exhaust, completely rebuilt front suspension, brakes, headlights, headliner, u joints, you name it I have either fixed or replaced it. Most of those new parts have over 100k on them now and i am pretty much over wrenching on this truck. I think I have gotten my money out of it after having it for 13 years.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
With the money the big 3 are laying on the hood right now, I'd go new.

Yep I seen on for ram at almost 13k off and ford about the same.
They were 1500 and f150 but the 2500 is close.

I have always found I got a better deal and 100% what I wanted with ordering.
At least the last 3 were that way.

My taco they would not order and had to take a lot truck.... Was never happy with it because I had to take what they wanted to order not what I wanted and it was a fight for a deal. They wanted to charge me 650 for POS steps and 450 for floor mats...... After a fight they transfered one from a different deal that did not have them.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you've got 30-35 to spend I would spend 38 and get a new one with a lower interest rate. The used truck market it crazy. You have to go out 5-6 years and 100k before you start getting any kind of break over a new one.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Man you guys are making it even worse! I need to go to a dealer now and see what I can get a new truck for. My mindset had been if a truck came up with the options I wanted the brand was somewhat secondary. If I buy new I need to lock down the exact truck I want within a reasonable budget. Personally I like the styling of the GMC in the half ton market however I am pretty impressed with the F150 especially the new 10 speed tranny, max tow, and ecoboost option. 3/4 ton is a bit overkill for what I am looking to use it for but I have pretty much narrowed that to Ford with Ram as an option.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Before you go, get online to all the dealers, build and print it out.
Will give you a pick of all the packages, whats in each and let you build and price.
Then take that same factory printout and get on KBB or Edmands and get the local prices, rebates, invoice and all the info.

At that point you will have a clear picture of what is offered in that truck and how you want it along with price.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Before you go, get online to all the dealers, build and print it out.
Will give you a pick of all the packages, whats in each and let you build and price.
Then take that same factory printout and get on KBB or Edmands and get the local prices, rebates, invoice and all the info.

At that point you will have a clear picture of what is offered in that truck and how you want it along with price.

Thanks Gadget, I have done a few online builds but get hung up on the quoted price. They don't list the incentives and as far as I know there isn't a good way to estimate what the out the door price will be. Building a truck and its pushing 50K MRSP is hard to estimate if that can reasonably be brought down to something within budget.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
My 2004 Dodge Ram has 160K. Everything works fine and it has had good maintenance. New engine and transmission next year and I'm good to go for another 200K. My mechanic figures around 4 to 5 grand. A new truck payment with insurance will be way over $500 a month. So, in less than a year it will have paid for itself. The difference I will continue to invest and make more money. Just bought 70 acres of prime hunting land. Paid cash and it was less than a new truck. It's already worth more than I paid for it. Ha! Life is good.

If it isn't giving you problems I'd stick that 4-5 grand in the bank and leave the old engine/tranny in it. You might get 300K on the original if you've maintained it well.

double

Twelve Pointer
I got a year or two to wait, hahaha.

I sell them everyday and have yet to figure out why people pay that for a midsized truck. Heck we just ordered a new zr2 that is in the mid 40's put a diesel in it and it can top 50k

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I had the same experience as most. I have a history of buying slightly used vehicles. But when I went truck shopping in 2013 a new F150 was the same price or cheaper than used trucks.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks Gadget, I have done a few online builds but get hung up on the quoted price. They don't list the incentives and as far as I know there isn't a good way to estimate what the out the door price will be. Building a truck and its pushing 50K MRSP is hard to estimate if that can reasonably be brought down to something within budget.

The Factory web site builds will give you all the rebates abs incentives for the area. Ram does just checked again.

Then use the same build data in KBB for say and it will list same price and also invoice for the parts and truck.

In other words on the factory sight the 4.10 rear with LS is say 280 but kbb or Edmund will show 280 msrp 220 invoice.

They will also give you local averages and prices.
I took invoice price less all rebates and then started there.

My truck was 50050 invoice around 41000 then 3250 rebate.
Went to dealer knowing I would be in high cotton if I got 35000 but could live with 37k to 38k out the door.

I only work bottom line.
Out the door bottom line cant change....
But if they say sure we can sell it to you for 35000 and you think you have a deal the they will stick you in dealer fees, shiping, tax, prep.......

I never gave a rats :donk:donk:donk what the top numbers are only the bottom line out the door price and that I got everything listed.

They may try to say they do not have that one in but we can transfer it from another dealer and get it for you, only to find it does not have a few items you want or extra add ons.

Ask for vin for any truck and you can get a window sticker. Make sure it is the same.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I sell them everyday and have yet to figure out why people pay that for a midsized truck. Heck we just ordered a new zr2 that is in the mid 40's put a diesel in it and it can top 50k

Yep, had a taco little upgrades they did not offer heated anything or power seats yet was in the 36k sticker and they do nkt come down anything much.....
My new truck was just a little more than the Taco was in 2012.....

Small trucks are a waste of money if you do not have to get something small.

BTW the 6.4 v8 gets same MPG and better MPG towing my atv trailer.....
Almost 2 times the HP and lots of room and a real 4x4 solid axle.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Your right about truck prices, they're insane, only thing worse is full size SUVs, $70K sticker for a tahoe! That's unreal to me. They dealer said they'd give me $10K for my 2500 with 150K miles, good to know but I'm driving it until it dies. I hate the body style of the new chevys, they're designed to stay on the pavement, the grill is huge and the bumper rides really low.

Good luck, I hope you find what your looking for.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looking for a unicorn. This has to be the most frustrating process imaginable. I just have to rant about this since I can't be the only one who has a hard time finding a truck. To my defense I have a pretty narrow search criteria but the bottom line is people apparently don't use trucks to do truck stuff any more and the market is filled with faux trucks. What I am looking for is a 4x4, crew cab, 6.5' box, tow package and well appointed (back up camera, connectivity package, screen in the dash ect.) truck either 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton with reasonable miles. I have found a ton of truck that meet this with in budget except they have a 5.8' box or no tow package or my latest find all unreasonably tall gears in the rear. It doesn't help that the truck market is crazy right now but i should be able to find a lariat or comparable trim level with the options I want in the mid 30's. Maybe I'm delusional and you have to spend over 40k to get these options together.

I haven't seen it written yet, but if you buy used, make sure it didn't come from up north; salt everywhere and the horns have an accent. I just bought a "new to me truck" that took a couple weeks to find. It's definitely frustrating entering the same search criteria, every day, seeing the same trucks, but the day the one you want pops up, its satisfying.

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I have passed on looking at a few trucks this week because the carfax had them in Canada or Newfoundland until they were sold at auction and shipped here.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
depending on what you are looking for try the website for Kernersville Dodge. They buy and sell a lot of used trucks they get from auctions in Texas. only thing is a lot of them have some dents and dings...I recently bought my Chevy from them and since it came from Texas it has absolutely no rust and it is a 2008 model.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
depending on what you are looking for try the website for Kernersville Dodge. They buy and sell a lot of used trucks they get from auctions in Texas. only thing is a lot of them have some dents and dings...I recently bought my Chevy from them and since it came from Texas it has absolutely no rust and it is a 2008 model.

They bait and switched me twice a few years back during my search. They "accidentally" listed two trucks a couple thousand less than they really wanted to sell them for.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
For those in the "Know" would it be worth trying to have dealers look for me? Do they even do that? I know they are out there to look out for their best interest and not mine so finding a good deal may be hard but I feel like they have more connections than I can pull up online. I still need to talk to them about a new truck but I'm skeptical I can get the truck I want within budget without being used.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For those in the "Know" would it be worth trying to have dealers look for me? Do they even do that? I know they are out there to look out for their best interest and not mine so finding a good deal may be hard but I feel like they have more connections than I can pull up online. I still need to talk to them about a new truck but I'm skeptical I can get the truck I want within budget without being used.
I think you will have better luck reaching out to all of the various dealers in the state. You might want to create a gmail just for this purpose. Wildlifer wants to buy a truck @gmail or something. Let them know what exactly you are looking for and how much you want to pay. With month end/qtr end someone might need an extra truck sold at the end of the month to meet a quota. My friend was told that his price was crazy and no one would ever touch it. One of the dealers called him the last day of the month and quarter and said if he could get there before close they would make his deal. Turns out they were a truck short from meeting a big incentive. Lose 2grand to make 50 or 100k.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

When I banked with USAA, they would search country wide for you. Not sure if any other banks do that.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yes dealers will look but most the time only new. Used they will inside their network or dealer system. In other words Leith will check their dealers.

But most dealers can show every dealer truck in the system that was not a special order, under contract, or just delivered to the dealer.

Also you can call Ram, CS ask them what is in inventory for new trucks.
You tell them what you want item by item and matches with c
show up and also trucks that are close.
At one time you could go to GM and RAM web sites and do it.
If you check on your own it will so show trucks that are special order or sales not completed.

When I was looking I checked Ram every few days to see the new vin that would show up.
Only found one in FL that was close but not 100%.
Passed and ordered. Best thing I ever did was start ordering trucks to get 100% what I wanted and got them when I wanted.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
When I banked with USAA, they would search country wide for you. Not sure if any other banks do that.

Yes
SECU has a buying service free of charge.

Do it. It gives a good starting point.
The CU was very good even told me that use this to try and work a deal.
You should find better or we will do all the work and get it for you.

They were very nice gettinv me a base price and dealer price so I know if I could do better. They also do trade price online.

You could sit at your house and do everything on web or phone, they deliver to home, work, or pick up at SECU.

I did save 3k less but had to work for it from the dealer.
I told the wife anything happens to me and she needs a Car or truck. Go to SECU tell them what you want and have them drop it off.

Some dealers say you do not get rebates but you do as all cars and truck come from dealers.

Sams, Walmart, AAA, cosco and other have had or do have a buying service.
Most them use truecar or others and no trade.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns

Some of us have no need or desire to personally own a full size truck. The price issue is also a bit misrepresented. Right now the Colorados are overpriced once you factor in all of the incentives for the bigger trucks, but take those away (or add them for the Colorado) and they are cheaper both to buy and over time. People compare a $30K (sticker price) Colorado to a $25K Silverado without factoring in all of the options on that Colorado while the Silverado is stripped (comparatively speaking).

Also, from what I've seen/looked at the Colorado maxes out in the upper $40K range, while the full sizes go up towards $100K depending on what you want. Factor in the basic premise that the small truck is generally going to have smaller equipment (tires, brakes, etc...) that cost less to maintain/replace over time (just a couple of tire sizes can make a huge difference in price!) and it really is cheaper.

The problem is that with the various regulations in place the truck manufacturers hate smaller trucks because their profit margin is much thinner, so they promote stripped down versions of the big trucks so they can make more money. That whole argument is "why pay $40K for a loaded small truck when you can pay $35K for a stripped down big truck?!?!" People buy it. It didn't help that for years they made the small trucks with worse fuel mileage than the big trucks as well. The Colorado challenges that argument with a diesel (which is what I'm looking for) that outperforms many of the half-ton V8s, and it's not a PITA to park if its anything like it's predecessor in that department.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Some of us have no need or desire to personally own a full size truck. The price issue is also a bit misrepresented. Right now the Colorados are overpriced once you factor in all of the incentives for the bigger trucks, but take those away (or add them for the Colorado) and they are cheaper both to buy and over time. People compare a $30K (sticker price) Colorado to a $25K Silverado without factoring in all of the options on that Colorado while the Silverado is stripped (comparatively speaking). Also, from what I've seen/looked at the Colorado maxes out in the upper $40K range, while the full sizes go up towards $100K depending on what you want. Factor in the basic premise that the small truck is generally going to have smaller equipment (tires, brakes, etc...) that cost less to maintain/replace over time (just a couple of tire sizes can make a huge difference in price!) and it really is cheaper. The problem is that with the various regulations in place the truck manufacturers hate smaller trucks because their profit margin is much thinner, so they promote stripped down versions of the big trucks so they can make more money. That whole argument is "why pay $40K for a loaded small truck when you can pay $35K for a stripped down big truck?!?!" People buy it. It didn't help that for years they made the small trucks with worse fuel mileage than the big trucks as well. The Colorado challenges that argument with a diesel (which is what I'm looking for) that outperforms many of the half-ton V8s, and it's not a PITA to park if its anything like it's predecessor in that department.

Gotta disagree completely on this statement. I had an 07 taco. Got totaled and had to buy a new truck. Equivalent taco was 42k. Equivalently equipped ram 1500 crew cab with ecodiesel was 42k BEFORE rebates. So that was a no brisker for me. And the ram ecodiesel gets better millage then anything out there . Will be interesting to see how the new f150 diesel does when it comes out. I got 27 mpg on the last tank of diesel I put in my truck and that was with a somewhat high speed run to hatteras last weekend. And my ram is as loaded as the tacos were I looked at that were the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Hang in there!
It took me 2 yrs to find exactly what your looking for.
4 full size doors, f250 or 2500 series
tow pkg
6.0 engine
It was 13 yrs old with only 92k miles, and cost me 15k.
BUT, I no longer have to borrow my daughters truck to pull my camper.
The other guys sure picked on me with a PINK FUZZY steering wheel cover !!!!!.....lol.

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
Been considering getting rid of my 07 ram and moving into something newer, but it sure is hard looking at 40k when my truck is already paid for lol! Good luck in your search.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Been considering getting rid of my 07 ram and moving into something newer, but it sure is hard looking at 40k when my truck is already paid for lol! Good luck in your search.

After having an 03 and now a 17.....
there is so much difference in the 2.
Everything is so much more refined and the ride plus towing is lots better.

That said..... Dont drive a new one if you dont want to buy it.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Doing a little more research on New trucks and from what I can tell Ram is the only one of the big 3 that have any incentives worth looking at. Looks like close to 8k off when building one online. Ford and chevy/gmc have a few hundred here and there but nothing significant.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Gotta disagree completely on this statement. I had an 07 taco. Got totaled and had to buy a new truck. Equivalent taco was 42k. Equivalently equipped ram 1500 crew cab with ecodiesel was 42k BEFORE rebates. So that was a no brisker for me. And the ram ecodiesel gets better millage then anything out there . Will be interesting to see how the new f150 diesel does when it comes out. I got 27 mpg on the last tank of diesel I put in my truck and that was with a somewhat high speed run to hatteras last weekend. And my ram is as loaded as the tacos were I looked at that were the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compare to anything other than a Toyota. Toyota is proud as hell of their trucks.