New truck search is like.....

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Looking for a unicorn. This has to be the most frustrating process imaginable. I just have to rant about this since I can't be the only one who has a hard time finding a truck. To my defense I have a pretty narrow search criteria but the bottom line is people apparently don't use trucks to do truck stuff any more and the market is filled with faux trucks. What I am looking for is a 4x4, crew cab, 6.5' box, tow package and well appointed (back up camera, connectivity package, screen in the dash ect.) truck either 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton with reasonable miles. I have found a ton of truck that meet this with in budget except they have a 5.8' box or no tow package or my latest find all unreasonably tall gears in the rear. It doesn't help that the truck market is crazy right now but i should be able to find a lariat or comparable trim level with the options I want in the mid 30's. Maybe I'm delusional and you have to spend over 40k to get these options together.

Last edited:

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am positive that it can be frustrating. I have gotten to the point that I buy new and drive it till the wheels fall off, or in the case of my last one, until someone knocks them off on I540... when I got my new one, I could not find what I wanted in the SE.. but the factory rolled out what I asked for in about a month. It was not cheap but I spend a lot of time in it and I like being comfortable

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Delusional..... trucks have become so mainstream for the premadonna wannabees as luxury vehicles rather than work vehicles. As a result, they're build with gold and diamonds.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Delusional..... trucks have become so mainstream for the premadonna wannabees as luxury vehicles rather than work vehicles. As a result, they're build with gold and diamonds.

this is a true statement. I'm not sure what a 5.5' bed is good for. After you put a tool box on it your average sedan had more room in the trunk.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
this is a true statement. I'm not sure what a 5.5' bed is good for. After you put a tool box on it your average sedan had more room in the trunk.

the one dang thing on my current truck that I don't like,,,,that short bed,,,,,but hey - they used to be all the rage

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
the one dang thing on my current truck that I don't like,,,,that short bed,,,,,but hey - they used to be all the rage

At least you're trendy!

The other thing that is really frustrating, when searching on sites you can't filter the short beds out. They all fall under regular!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You really need to look new in that price range.

Maybe even order.
I picked up a new 17 ram 2500 with a lot of upgrades and extras.

Sticker was.50 ish and was able to get an out the door sub 38 ish

The last two trucks I was.looking I looked all over and never found a used on that was a few years old sub 15k miles less than new.
Used.prices are ape crazy because most think they can get used cheaper than new.

Many dealers offering 10 to 13k off stickers today.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

Yep
I had a truck with a 6' bed never again.
man I missed.a 8' bed. Really like the new truck and full size bed.
It has never been a problem over the several I have owned.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I didn't catch it whether you wanted new or used, but don't forget to factor in interest rates. Heck many dealerships offer 0.0% to qualified buyers, and banks are lower on new vs used. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but that narrowed the gap considerably without even talking the new price down.

This was looking at trucks in the sub 50k mile range. Heck, factor in a warranty and it's almost dumb to not buy new.

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I didn't catch it whether you wanted new or used, but don't forget to factor in interest rates. Heck many dealerships offer 0.0% to qualified buyers, and banks are lower on new vs used. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but that narrowed the gap considerably without even talking the new price down.

This was looking at trucks in the sub 50k mile range. Heck, factor in a warranty and it's almost dumb to not buy new.

Honestly doesn't matter I just figured I could get more truck for the money buying used that still had some factory warranty left. My credit should get me a good rate so maybe I will just go talk to a dealer about options.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep.
Add to the fact that ram is offering factory lifetime bumper to bumper warranty for a small upgrade.

You can price on line and then get them to match the warranty and dealer prce.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Honestly doesn't matter I just figured I could get more truck for the money buying used that still had some factory warranty left. My credit should get me a good rate so maybe I will just go talk to a dealer about options.

I think his point was used the rate will.be 3.5.to 5 in most places.
New you can get 0 apr or low 1.5%

Lot of difference looking at 3 to 5% over 4 years if you were to get a loan along with 30 to 40k more miles under warranty.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wanted to buy used, but had to buy new to find what I wanted when I was looking for a F250 this winter. There's just not much good, slightly-used inventory when you step up to the 3/4 tons. Plenty of 150's, but most of those, as you said, were not made to be used.

Expensive, yes. But there just wasn't anything out there like what I was looking for in the used market. I thought I was going to have to order one, but I found a new one just west of Asheville that was almost exactly what I had drawn up.

The one you sold looked pretty nice.;)

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I looked at used trucks once...then I went and bought a new one. I'm sure there are some good used trucks out there, but I don't have the time or inclination to find one.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I looked at used trucks once...then I went and bought a new one. I'm sure there are some good used trucks out there, but I don't have the time or inclination to find one.

Same here ..this was my experience^^^

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
... the bottom line is people apparently don't use trucks to do truck stuff any more and the market is filled with faux trucks.
What I am looking for is a 6.5' box.

Contradictory^
You can put a sheet of plywood in the bed of a real truck and close the tailgate.
[emoji1]
I ended up buying new, just couldn't find any value used. Prices were too close to new. Hope you find a good one.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Took me over 6 months and a drive to Jackson Tennessee to finally find a F350 diesel like I wanted used for a good price.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Contradictory^
You can put a sheet of plywood in the bed of a real truck and close the tailgate.
[emoji1]
I ended up buying new, just couldn't find any value used. Prices were too close to new. Hope you find a good one.

Ha I hear ya, I drove a long bed in high school that taught me a thing or two about parking. Toolbox plus ATV will fit in a 6.5 which is plenty for me.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Ha I hear ya, I drove a long bed in high school that taught me a thing or two about parking. Toolbox plus ATV will fit in a 6.5 which is plenty for me.

Tailgate down?

Then overall length is same as 8' but you can close and lock tail gate on it.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Yes with the tailgate down its rough the same overall. I don't have a need for a 8' bed and prefer the shorter wheelbase. Whatever I get will be my daily driver.

double

Twelve Pointer
I sell Chevy's everyday. A new truck with the options you are looking for stickers around 46k and are going right now in the 37,500 range. Unless you just find the needle in the hay stack what you are looking for does not exist in the used market. If it does it will run 32-35k with decent miles. In a low mileage truck new is the way to go right now.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I sell Chevy's everyday. A new truck with the options you are looking for stickers around 46k and are going right now in the 37,500 range. Unless you just find the needle in the hay stack what you are looking for does not exist in the used market. If it does it will run 32-35k with decent miles. In a low mileage truck new is the way to go right now.

Any noise on when they're gonna start coming down on the Colorado prices?

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Yes with the tailgate down its rough the same overall. I don't have a need for a 8' bed and prefer the shorter wheelbase. Whatever I get will be my daily driver.

You pick up a couple of feet in the bed if you go with side boxes. I did that a few years ago with my S10 and I'll never go back. They only take up dead space to begin with, and you still have the full length of your bed.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wildlife, I feel your pain.

I briefly was looking for a new truck a few months ago, but couldn't swallow the $40 - 50k price tag. I decided to keep the 2004 F150, put a new transmission in, and I'll just continue replacing what needs fixing.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Wildlife, I feel your pain.

I briefly was looking for a new truck a few months ago, but couldn't swallow the $40 - 50k price tag. I decided to keep the 2004 F150, put a new transmission in, and I'll just continue replacing what needs fixing.

I will do the same with my 08 GMC, its still way cheaper to replace even the engine or tranny than buy a new truck..

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
My 2004 Dodge Ram has 160K. Everything works fine and it has had good maintenance. New engine and transmission next year and I'm good to go for another 200K. My mechanic figures around 4 to 5 grand. A new truck payment with insurance will be way over $500 a month. So, in less than a year it will have paid for itself. The difference I will continue to invest and make more money. Just bought 70 acres of prime hunting land. Paid cash and it was less than a new truck. It's already worth more than I paid for it. Ha! Life is good.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
With the money the big 3 are laying on the hood right now, I'd go new.