white bass ?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
So I was catching some fish that looked like white bass.
Most were small.

What I did not remember was they had sharp gill plates and would expand there gill plates out and hold them out when trying to pull the hook. They also had 3 spines on the fins like a catfish.

Maybe it was because they were really small but it was hard to do anything with them and not get poked.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I catch them a lot crappie fishing. I call them "white fish" or "white perch". I don't know what their official name is. If you are spider rigging they can tangle your setup in heartbeat!! I hate them, but if you just want to catch fish or take a kid, they are easy to catch and fight hard on light tackle.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
10-4 I was thinking white perch

THey were just a little different.

Catfish like them as cut bait.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
10-4 I was thinking white perch

THey were just a little different.

Catfish like them as cut bait.

just handle them in a rag and for some reason they never even wiggle. dangest thing i ever saw and i have seen alot of stuff related to fishing.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Yep white perch, and dare i say ive come to like the flavor of them over crappie and bream. Fun to catch as well, especially if you get into the 1 and 1 1/2 pound fish.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Firefly, there is pretty good fishing for white perch on the North River, put in at Coinjock, start at the mouth of the North River and you should be able to find them... :)

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
There is a write up in the Carolina sportsman magazine about the white perch in shearon harris lake.