Cotton

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
Farmer planted cotton. How will the deer use cotton fields? First time hunting land planted in cotton.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I've killed alot if deer in cotton fields.
There hard to see if the cotton is high. Also we see alot of deer in late December in cut cotton fields.

sent from...... Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You haven't ever lived to you have to drag one out of a dried/picked cotton patch, especially if it is warm enough you have on short sleeves.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You will know what "difficult to see" means if you see one in a dried cotton field stop and be still. Try seeing him without him moving.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
You haven't ever lived to you have to drag one out of a dried/picked cotton patch, especially if it is warm enough you have on short sleeves.

Growing up in Rural Mississippi I've spent enough time in those fields that I don't even like seeing cotton balls in Walmart's pharmacy section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Bucks love cotton fields, they feel like they are safe in them! I have killed a lot of good bucks in cotton fields. Also the farmer will spread cover crop (wheat, clover, rye, oats) in early September so by the time they cut the stalks you will have a pretty green field.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bucks love cotton fields, they feel like they are safe in them! I have killed a lot of good bucks in cotton fields. Also the farmer will spread cover crop (wheat, clover, rye, oats) in early September so by the time they cut the stalks you will have a pretty green field.

Bingo ....exactly right

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Throw you some corn along the edges of the field. Deer will eat the cottonseed once the stalks are mowed but yes the deer will walk the edges in the morning and evening. Should make for good hunting.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Quote Originally Posted by Jlewis74 View Post
Bingo ....exactly right

Bingo ....exactly right

Don't tell everybody!:D I like the cotton fields to myself.

I agree. I agree I worked with the Boll Weevil Eradication Program in NENC. That is when I learned mature bucks like standing cotton. I too think they feel secure in there.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I scouted cotton for 5 years and I kicked up and saw some nice bucks in Cotton fields. My personal preference is hunting the peanut fields in late September and early October though.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Prior to harvest, the deer lay in the shade of the row middles to beat the heat. After harvest, they will eat the seeds left on the ground or stuck to the stalks as well as the winter annuals that start to come up.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I've killed alot if deer in cotton fields.
There hard to see if the cotton is high. Also we see alot of deer in late December in cut cotton fields.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Probably because they have winter wheat sown in them. That's what I see around Beaufort Co.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have seen deer prefer the fresh leaves on a cotton stalk after the defoliate is sprayed, the cotton has been picked and new growth sprouts.

MAM3006

Six Pointer
We have a fair amount of cotton on our lease. Deer definitely use it. I have walked to a stand overlooking the cotton fields, got in the stand and within short order had deer stand up from being bedded down in the cotton near the stand. When the cotton is brown and opened up, they are almost impossible to see in there unless they move!

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Farmer planted cotton. How will the deer use cotton fields? First time hunting land planted in cotton.

I was at a party with people my worked with at Barcolounger years ago. One of the guys asked me how I was doing and at the time I was using the phrase "fair to middling". He told me that it was a pretty good grade of cotton. He then told me he was a buyer for the company and that's how he knew what it meant. I found that very interesting and we had a nice conversation about where other such words and phrases came from.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oh no! If you ask the big farmer ..... worst year ever.....claiming insurance on lots of it! A certain amount of the crop is almost guaranteed with a thunderstorm or big rain storm

There is nobody that comes back and checks the crop that insurance paid for.....so pick it and keep rolling....not right but it is the way of the farm. Leave a little in the field and pick the rest.....lt would suck to see farming die in the eastern part of the state as it has in the central part. All we grow now is hay!

Last edited:

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Oh no! If you ask the big farmer ..... worst year ever.....claiming insurance on lots of it! A certain amount of the crop is almost guaranteed with a thunderstorm or big rain storm

There is nobody that comes back and checks the crop that insurance paid for.....so pick it and keep rolling....not right but it is the way of the farm. Leave a little in the field and pick the rest.....lt would suck to see farming die in the eastern part of the state as it has in the central part. All we grow now is hay!

Its called insurance fraud and its a felony (I think...)

Last edited:

moonlight

Four Pointer

I am a pretty good sized farmer and I can tell you that this statement is BS. This would lead to prison time and being denied crop insurance coverage in the future