Where Would You Go On a Diver Hunting Trip This Fall

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
If you were going to go out of state this fall on a hunt for divers; Redheads, Canvasbacks, BB,s. with a high probability of killing these species, where would you go? When would you go?

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Why would you go out of state to kill these birds? Probably have just a good a chance here. With the right weather you can count on seeing these just about anywhere on the coast. If you really just want to see another state I would go somewhere along the Chesapeake Bay.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
Just to shoot them, or do you want mounters?

We routinely shoot all three in a morning in North Dakota. Of course these are early birds so pretty but with pi feathers.

If I wanted mounters I would hunt upper Mississippi pools near Wi/IL/IA area. Lots of beautiful birds there, but pretty harsh weather sometimes.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
thanks for the input, I am looking to go in November for about a week, well before the birds potentially get here. I am looking at great lakes and southern Ontario. I really appreciate the input from you guys.

skydog

thanks for the input, I am looking to go in November for about a week, well before the birds potentially get here. I am looking at great lakes and southern Ontario. I really appreciate the input from you guys.

With that timing, I would go as far North as you can. Cans especially seem to only migrate when they absolutely have to.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Also don't forget Maine and that area either. Have a buddy that goes up there and always seems to do well. Maybe more seaducks then you would like but the shoots they have are always good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Why would you go out of state to kill these birds? Probably have just a good a chance here. With the right weather you can count on seeing these just about anywhere on the coast. If you really just want to see another state I would go somewhere along the Chesapeake Bay.

For those of you that routinely hunt the coast of NC. Is the above statement really true? Let's say on a three day trip with windy conditions, highs about 50 and lows in the high20's could I reasonably expect to kill a canvasback or a redhead (if I shot well) anywhere along NC's coast?

Willie

Twelve Pointer
For those of you that routinely hunt the coast of NC. Is the above statement really true? Let's say on a three day trip with windy conditions, highs about 50 and lows in the high20's could I reasonably expect to kill a canvasback or a redhead (if I shot well) anywhere along NC's coast?

No, you're not going to set up just anywhere on the "coast" and kill a can or redhead in three days, even given the weather conditions you describe.

the sarge

Six Pointer
Believe it or not California. Only place I've ever taken a shot at a Redhead and Canvasback in a day and the Canvasback is on my wall. I used to hunt all around Southern California and I was regularly bagging teal, pintail,widgeon and buffleheads. Really didn't have many mallards but they would all decoy to them.

Willie

Twelve Pointer
I grew up in the Hampton Roads area of Va.
It was not that unheard of to kill a can, BB, and RH in the same hunt where we hunt. Nowadays it's a lot more miss than hit, but can still be done if the stars align.

WakeHunter32

Eight Pointer
I grew up in the Hampton Roads area of Va.
It was not that unheard of to kill a can, BB, and RH in the same hunt where we hunt. Nowadays it's a lot more miss than hit, but can still be done if the stars align.

that means that ol Willie has to be shooting straight and not gotten into the brown liquor the night prior!

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

I don't know about the entire coast of NC, but coastal Albemarle and Pamlico can produce either or both in late December and January hunts.

Last edited:

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
There are no guarantees in life, but I have seen that diver hunting in NoDak.

The other thing I've heard, and call me nuts, are Poole 9, 10 and 11 in Wisconsin on the Mississippi.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
I always favor the finger lakes of upstate NY. Look into montezuma national wildlife refuge at the northern end of cayuga lake. Ive shot redheads on a farm pond in a blizzard up there no lie, yup hes on the wall.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
catahoula lake is in Louisiana is very well known for canvasbacks. Not sure if it still is, but it used to winter the largest number on cans on the Mississippi flyway.