Cracked the Seal on Groundhog Season

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Decided to head out this afternoon to see if I could find some whistle pigs with a death wish at a place that has been very productive in the past. Talked to the landowner and he said he had some under a couple of buildings so I set up in the shade and watched those for a while but nothing moved. But I did catch a glimpse of one with my binos on a kudzu bank about 300 yds away. I knew there was 3 or 4 dens on the bank but the weeds and kudzu made it hard to see so I moved to another shady spot about 100 yds from the bank and hoped I could see well enough if/when they came out.

I had been there about 20 minutes when the first one showed among the grass. Already had the tripod set up, got the target in the scope and let the .204 eat. I could hear the distinctive plop of the hit on the other end. Whet up to check it out and it was mama. Removed her from the bank and headed back to wait for the youngins to show up. Took about 30 minutes for the first little one to show up. Bang, plop! A few minutes later, #2 little one. Bang, plop! 3 shots, 3 whistle pigs out of commission.

What happened next made me do a double take as I had never seen it before....2 little ones appeared at one of the dens at the same time. Double check...yep, 2 of them. They were not lined up but I started figuring if I hit the one in front just right, I might get the 2nd one as collateral damage. Those 32 grain Hornady Vmax can make a mess of smaller targets as they explode on impact. At the shot, the plop was unmistakable. One of them fell down the bank and was hidden in the kudzu and it appeared the other one went straight down but I could not see it for the vegetation. One for sure, maybe 2. I will take it.

Waited a while longer and another one pops up at another den. Bang, plop! Waited another half hour and nothing else moved so I headed to the bank to check out the carnage. Got to the hole with the double first and retrieved the one that tumbled down in the kudzu. Could not see the second one but there was blood down the hole. Went ahead an recovered the others and they set out to find a green brier. Finally found one I thought might work and went fishing in the den hole. After a couple of failed attempts, I managed to get it tangled and pulled out the collateral damage. Yep, I had killed 2 with one shot! Might not ever get to do that again so I will take it!

I piled the 5 young ones up with mama for a family photo before heading back to the truck.

I eased back toward the back corner of the property and spotted another young one out in the open before it spotted me. Bang, plop!

Six shots and seven dead whistle pigs! Not a bad afternoon!

Mama taking a dirt nap.
posted image
And then posing with the little ones.
upload gif from url
And #7 by its lonesome.
picture host
Yep, the seal is broken. Groundhog season is open!

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You had a very productive afternoon. You keep it up at that rate you will have to start a bait pile out of them for night time activities like Larry.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
WTG Harold!!!!!!!
I nailed 1 at about 250 yds with the 257 Ackley last week and twernt much left.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good hunt. Well written.

I wonder if use of the 'green briar' is being passed to the next generation of hunters...?

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
WOW, I'd say you had a great hunt. Not often you get two in one shot but after seeing your shooting a couple of years ago it doesn't surprise me. Congratulations. BTW do I spot some of my favorite "weeds" in the photo (poison oak)? LOL.

Remember that one I shot across that river? Well my son and I went to that location about a week ago. Only the hay field across the river had been mowed. I spotted on way down at the end of that hayfield and got the camera on it as he got his scope on the groundhog. It had climbed up on a stump at the edge of the field. We heard that "plop" of a good hit as the pig tumbled out of sight. We felt sure he had hit it and like the one I shot that day it did not come back out. After we got home and reviewed the video it's clear from the puff of dust from the groundhog that he made a good hit. But with so much rain lately we definitely were not going to attempt to wade the river. It was up considerably from what it was when we hunted.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I do not think there was any poison oak in the pics, just kudzu, but I did see some when I was looking for a greenbrier. And the little ones were graphic but I laid them out graphic side down cause graphic side up was ugly on a couple of them.

Yep, I remember that meadow and the blonde groundhog you plunked. That was a fun day.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got lazy posting but killed these in mid June. Mama and her litter were spread in various holes around the tool shed and other various farm buildings. Gave them all a pill from the .17hmr.
IMG_20170619_180524.jpgIMG_20170620_155053.jpg
IMG_20170620_174739.jpgIMG_20170621_164354.jpg

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Went for a while this afternoon and managed to see a couple on a kudzu bank and let the .204 eat. Bang, splat times 2. Saw another one duck in a hole under the corner of an add on behind a garage on the way back to the truck. It was getting late so I will have to deal with it another day. Had the wrong gun for close quarters building shooting anyway.
IMG_20170810_190234.jpg

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Man you are having to much fun. We have about shot ourselves out of groundhogs. Gonna start looking for some more farms in different locations.