Trail Camera Troubleshooting and Tear Down

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Curious to see if anybody has ever taken a trail camera apart and tried to fix it their self? I have a couple Spypoint cameras that don't have a warranty anymore, they turn on but won't take pics. I thought about trying to learn how the internals of a camera worked and just try fixing it myself.

Anybody ever tinker with them?

Me personally has never tried to fix one ,but I do know a guy that buys broken ones off of eBay and fixes them if they are not to far gone...he says it's usually a board or something gone bad normally...so yeah I'm sure it's worth looking into ...thought about learning more about them myself...

Gilly

Ten Pointer
I replaced the lens on a Bushnell Trophy cam before. Had one with a bad sensor and another one that I dropped and the lens was blurry. Both were beyond their warranty. Popped the lens and the two wires off the circuit board and soldered it to the circuit board of the other cam. Worked perfect all last season. Complete hail mary for me. I did not expect it to work.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I replaced the board and data screens in a couple of the older Moultrie cameras that were bad to have the sun destroy the data information screen. It wasn't bad and the boards weren't that expensive straight from Moultrie. You-tube is a great source for that kind of information.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Have you tried new batteries? The digital screen will work when the batteries are low but they wont take pics. Also try a different SD card too large a card wont work in many cameras. I keep 4gb-8gb cards in my spypoints. Or a bad SD card wont work either.

Last edited:

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Have you tried new batteries? The digital screen will work when the batteries are low but they wont take pics. Also try a different SD card too large a card wont work in many cameras. I keep 4gb-8gb cards in my spypoints. Or a bad SD card wont work either.

Thanks for the tips but yea I already tried all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have torn some down .......just a delayed trip to the trash can!! I bought a lot of 5 cameras on ebay with a card reader for less than 80 bucks last year.....all worked except one.....pics are good enough for me.... and if one goes bad I just throw them away and buy another one on ebay. Just the way my cheap :donk:donk:donk rolls............