great weather for newly hatched poult's survival

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Sure hope this continues, maybe the survival rate will be positively impacted by this nice spell.

On that topic, last year's hatch report was the worst ever and we had the lowest percentages of jakes killed ever.

Wonder if there is a correlation or if everybody just had old birds to kill?

I mention that as Mr. Kreh pointed it out to me. He is our game bird biologist for the NCWRC.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I suspect it was all the old birds eagerly wanting to die that led to the low jake harvest.

But who knows....

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Be interesting to see next year but I see a decline in harvest due to lack of 2 year olds I know this year they were plentiful in several places I was at but jakes were not, of course, could be good carry over of birds and the hunting of 3 and older could be good time will tell I always look forward to the late summer and early fall before I take guess on next spring usually a couple weeks into squirrel season I know what my spring will be like good time to find them pockets of birds even in areas that may be lacking in over all numbers

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Saw a bunch of solo hens on the way back from New Bern yesterday. Did see any little ones. I saw two this morning nearby the house in Guilford and no little ones.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I saw a hen with 4 little ones right down the road from the house the other day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Saw 3 hens together and a single hen on another tract Saturday. Zero poults between em:(