Fishbites

witler

Eight Pointer
Anyone used Fishbites? For surf fishing, which type is best..chunks or straps? Which flavor is best and ez or longlasting?

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
I had good luck catching all sorts of stuff with the red strips, they're very durable. Don't know what flavor they were.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They do fine, white and red for salt.

Catfish bait has done nothing for me.
About 30 to 40 years back there was a company doinv the same thing..
never did anything good with those for anything.

It was called Gator Bait.

Made in a lab in a Florida school.

23mako

Ten Pointer
Yes, sandflea fishbites in orange and bloodworms for the surf although it is always smart to have a few different flavors. I recommend cutting them up ahead of time and keeping them in an airtight container as opposed to leaving them in the bags.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have used pill bottles to cut and store in.
For the beach it does not take much room and you can walk to the beach with a rod and few bottles in the pocket with fish bites and hooks, line and terminal tackle.
Then I carry a cheap 6 pack or 20 qt cooler.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
For the price of a pack of those you can buy a pound of shrimp and a box of salt. Heavily salt the shrimp in a big for at least 24 hours and you'll have durable, natural, rubber shrimp.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
For the price of a pack of those you can buy a pound of shrimp and a box of salt. Heavily salt the shrimp in a big for at least 24 hours and you'll have durable, natural, rubber shrimp.

True but then you have the stink and need to keep in a cooler.
I use cut bait and shrimp all the time if I carry the truck or cart on the beach.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Fishbite's come in a variety of flavors and colors. I keep a couple pouches of Sandfleas and Bloodworms in my tackle box at all times for instances when fresh bait is in short supply. With blood worms they comes in 1/4" and 3/8" strips, in a red bag and a blue bag. The difference in the red vs blue bag is that the blue bag has the cheese cloth material in it and is harder to get off the hook, where as the red bag has a thinner heavy paper material in it and easier to get off the hook. Which ever you decide to use, cut them in small pieces about 3/4" long and double hook on the hook. The work great for sea mullet, spots, croakers, pompanos, blowtoads, and I've even caught grey trout on them. The sandsfleas work great on the same type of fish as well. Fishbites also come in shrimp, clam, and squid, but I not used any of those so I can't tell you how well they work of not. I prefer to use fresh bait such as mullet, bunker, shrimp, and sandfleas if I can find it, but won't hesitate to use Fishbites if need be.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Never, ever caught a thing on fishbites. I just wasted, spent, another 8 bucks on a pack to try again. Don't know why. But I'm hoping to hit on it someday.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I put a small piece of the orange strip on my hook after the bait, real shrimp or sand flea,,, figure it will still be there after the bait is gone and it does seem to hold the bait on the hook some