Difference between lots of ammunition

Bryan H.

Button Buck
I pick up a box of ammo every time I go to walmart. The first three boxes of 170 grain core lokts that i picked up were straight across the mouth of the jacket. This fourth box had a scalloped jacket, like the pictures in ads or on the web site. I wonder if the straight mouth jacket waz supposed to go on the hollow point? I have not seen the hollow point load in stores. Regardless, the ones with straight mouth jackets shoot straight in my gun. The way I shoot, I doubt I will notice a difference, but I can't wait to trst these from a bench to see the difference. Pictures:

c96ceedd7a4f5b44a55c0865bae25477.jpg
3e56a7df999a76432fe92cbc2bc1eabb.jpg
3dd3383d56190719235dd24b905f5f53.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Every soft-nose Core-lokt bullet I've seen had the scalloped edge on the jacket. I think those you have with the straight edge missed a finishing step in processing.

Bryan H.

Button Buck
Thanks for the tip. Now I have an excuse to shoot again tomorrow :) Hopefully I won't have to adjust windage, I kinda got lucky tapping that rear sight over

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
If its new production corlokt consider yourself lucky if they go bang. Im now reloading for 35 rem due to a run of bad ammo

Bryan H.

Button Buck
The ones with the straight jackets shot well in my rifle

Bryan H.

Button Buck
I do appreciate your replies :) I picked up another box of core lokt 170's today, but I checked to make sure it was the tried and true version with the scalloped jacket before I paid. I didn't have to dig, it was the first box I opened. I don't even care if my rifle likes the other ones better. As long as I can hit my 8" target 100 % i will stick with the tried and true.

To be honest I didn't even test for accuracy with different loads or any of that nonsense. It would be splitting hairs. I shoot off-hand and 75 yards will be a long shot here. I'm sure regular core lokt bullets have been killing everything in North America longer than I have been living. I picked the 170 grain load for a little extra warm and fuzzy in high hopes I might see a black bear.

I will try to shoot again soon and compare the accuracy