new rifle, "Remlin", Marlin 336y 30-30

Bryan H.

Button Buck
Early Father's Day present from the wife, got her dialed in with 170 core-lokt @ 100 meters today. The guys on the Marlin forum got me envyin' for a "real" Marlin, but this "Remlin" shoots pretty good. Really fun little rifle. Handy, compact, and accurate :)
2bcea56b288907337ccda3fa107ef93a.jpg
c8f0bbdd509cab6d25cef1880366975f.jpg
c6d8d77b343db11fbe77b7ff46b9f56b.jpg
33bd5bbac3415b4e063af0536359cfef.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If those three shot groups were done with the factory iron sights, I wouldn't feel slighted in the least. Most of the Marlin's I've owned over the years shot groups like that at 50 yards .... not a hundred. That's good shootin' my friend.

Bryan H.

Button Buck
Thanks brother. I did shoot them with the factory irons. I'd already sighted in at 25 before I moved out to 100. I did pull one off the paper when I shot the 2nd group.

I was pumped just to get it dialed in within the first box of ammo. Still ran 2 more boxes through it though, shooting off-hand. Ain't sharing those offhand targets! If I can consistently hit that 8" target off-hand, I am a happy camper.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
They're getting better at building some of the rifles. I broke down and bought a "Remlin" in 45-70 last year. Your rifle seems to be shooting good, keep the good shooting up.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know, but propaganda is that after they "bottomed out" with the remlins. Between QC being so bad and sales being in the tank they rethought everything and corrected their issues and are putting out a better firearm now. I really hope so.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I don't know, but propaganda is that after they "bottomed out" with the remlins. Between QC being so bad and sales being in the tank they rethought everything and corrected their issues and are putting out a better firearm now. I really hope so.

Maybe the same way the "turned around" with Savage over the last couple years?

Bryan H.

Button Buck
Thanks for the replies ya'll.

billyearl- this is the range at mckellar's lodge on fort bragg (n.c.) It's 100 meters, not yards. It's a nice range. Paper only buy other than that generally a relaxed atmosphere, patrons agree when to call it cold or hot, rapid fire is allowed.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
That's awesome, if I could shoot that good with open sights I wouldn't own a scope. I have seen your post on MO forum. Keep up the good shooting!

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
My 336 was my grandpas and is at least twice as old as I am, probably more, it works great for me but won't shoot anything close to that good

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
My dad has an old 336 that he got for his 16th birthday in the early 70s. Still has the same old tasco scope and see-thru mounts.
Was his only deer gun for 20years.

I'd be scared to see how many dump trucks you'd need to fit all the deer bear and hogs that gun has brought down between dad, me, and my brothers.
We all have other rifles now but every year one of us will pull out the dirty 30 and take it to the woods.

I know I've killed some of my biggest bucks with it, including my first buck. Dad has killed some of his biggest with it too.

150gr corelokts with a "great" group being 2" but dang if that gun just doesn't feel good in your hands. Stock is beat up and needs refinishing, and the bluing is about gone off receiver from miles of carrying it but that gun holds a special place with our family.

To the OP. Take care of it and your little one will be knocking down game with it sooner than you think!!

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have several of my Marlin lever actions with open sights. My eyes got to where I had a hard time with the notched rear leaf, so I put aperture receiver sights on them. Shooting as good as ever with them.

Just to let y'all know I over on MO often too.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Nice shooting.....my Win 94 shoots like that with Irons, the longest shot I have ever taken a deer with is from my 94 but 95 percent of my kills are withiin 50 yds. 120 with irons put the bullet right where I wanted it. ....have no clue how my 336 35 rem does with Irons as all I have ever had on it is a Leopold 1.5-5......