Shad still Hitting on the Roanoke!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Well, do we have an award for the last shad caught of the year?? lol. Since lots of Towns, Festivals etc have a prize for the first caught. I think i have got it the last 2 years. May 11th, 2 years ago and a similar date last year.

anyway, I went to day and caught a handful. lost a monster. so I ended up with 5 shad and maybe 10 or 11 Stripers. Shad came on 1/8 oz pink head with 2in Berkeley Power Bait white grub. Stripers all came on 3/4 round chartreuse head with a pearl fluke for the body. Stripers are still spawning as I saw 10 plus rock fights. and Jumping mullet are at weldon already.
Who would of thought Shad being caught on May 30th?? Going back Saturday evening. Trying for a shad in June!
amercian shad  North carolina.jpg

LawDog

Ten Pointer
Good job buddy. I have been wanting to go to Weldon for some striper fishing...you think it will be worth a two hour drive this time of year?

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Nice Shad.. My Wife caught one (hickory shad) years ago fishing Lynch's River down in SC on a cricket in the month of June..Never known anyone else to catch a shad on a cricket..

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Well, do we have an award for the last shad caught of the year?? lol. Since lots of Towns, Festivals etc have a prize for the first caught. I think i have got it the last 2 years. May 11th, 2 years ago and a similar date last year.

anyway, I went to day and caught a handful. lost a monster. so I ended up with 5 shad and maybe 10 or 11 Stripers. Shad came on 1/8 oz pink head with 2in Berkeley Power Bait white grub. Stripers all came on 3/4 round chartreuse head with a pearl fluke for the body. Stripers are still spawning as I saw 10 plus rock fights. and Jumping mullet are at weldon already.
Who would of thought Shad being caught on May 30th?? Going back Saturday evening. Trying for a shad in June!
View attachment 55386

I had no idea mullet came so far inland. You are talking about the same mullet that are at the coast?