Electronic Deer Feeder Avoidence

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
Last season I had one electronic spin cast deer feeder out in the woods. Taking into account natural forage and the acorn effect the deer never really used or ate the corn. Not even late in the season. I don't expect mature bucks to use it but I didn't even have any regular use by spikes or does. I had cameras on the feeder and in the proximity that showed deer were present but just didn't eat the corn by the feeder. Even went as far as to empty the feeder and replace with fresh corn. Anyone else ever experience this? Save your negative comments about corn and move on. I have only experienced this one other time and I believe it was caused by every Tom Dick and harry having corn out in rather small area. I know my neighbors and other land owners and this wasn't the case last year.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
It's like that sometimes, I've never had good luck with corn unless it was put on a well established trail. Unless they have to step through it they're not interested when there's plenty of other food sources available. Some years are worse than others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Had that happen a few years ago. Corn would pile up on the ground and rot. Feeder was in this location for 2 years. First year it got hit HARD, second year they avoided it like the plague. Moved it after that.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've had negative luck with spin feeders compared to drop feeders and just spreading,,,,,,,so much so that I won't even use a spin feeder anymore

boomer

Twelve Pointer
I have plenty of pictures of deer walking between the legs of my tripod feeder. I have pictures of deer at the feeder just before it goes off ,when it is going off and right after it goes off. Never been an issue for me.

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
I have plenty of pictures of deer walking between the legs of my tripod feeder. I have pictures of deer at the feeder just before it goes off ,when it is going off and right after it goes off. Never been an issue for me.

I have too. I have had them stand off in the distance, allow it to go off, and stroll right in for a meal. That is why this is so perplexing. Doesn't matter if it is poured on the ground or slung from a feeder the deer on this piece don't respond the way they have elsewhere. I guess the land is above average habitat with plenty of other food sources available.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I've also got pictures of deer under the feeder,staring up at the motor like" where's more"that said they do spook some deer and I believe bucks will skirt them most of the time...here anyway.

dstubbsunc

Eight Pointer
I've got 3 out now and deer are coming to them everyday during daylight as well. Had a pretty nice 10 pointer coming in as well before he shed his rack. One of the feeders is an expensive all metal Texas style feeder that sounds like rocks being thrown into a high speed fan when if goes off, but the bucks keep coming to it. I've also discovered that slinkys on the legs are the absolute best way to keep the critters off the feeders as well.

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The deer at the farm in caswell won't touch anything from a spin feeder. They will pound corn piles though.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
I think the spot you put it in and the other food sources available have more to do with whether the deer use a feeder or not. But I don't know the rhyme or reason to it. I've had them the whole herd use a feeder night and day no fear, and I've had the same type of feeder in what looks like a great spot and couldn't get the deer to touch the corn all season.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
3c1b377f406a955f66e1d7137a8e0eb5.jpg
714f241e6830a2ecb3f550e41db87911.jpg

This feeder is sitting about 50' from a clover patch and 1/4 mile from 1 acre of clover/chicory blend food plot and 1/2 acre of turnips. Deer have come to this feeder for 2 years now and I have relocated it 3 times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

30/06

Twelve Pointer
The deer at the farm in caswell won't touch anything from a spin feeder. They will pound corn piles though.

This^ Our deer in Caswell has no love for spin feeders, many members have tried, hard to even get does to come into them. Now pouring corn on the ground is a different story.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Last season I had one electronic spin cast deer feeder out in the woods. Taking into account natural forage and the acorn effect the deer never really used or ate the corn. Not even late in the season. I don't expect mature bucks to use it but I didn't even have any regular use by spikes or does. I had cameras on the feeder and in the proximity that showed deer were present but just didn't eat the corn by the feeder. Even went as far as to empty the feeder and replace with fresh corn. Anyone else ever experience this? Save your negative comments about corn and move on. I have only experienced this one other time and I believe it was caused by every Tom Dick and harry having corn out in rather small area. I know my neighbors and other land owners and this wasn't the case last year.

I had this same experience last year but I think it was mainly due to the heavy acorn drop. In previous years the deer would hit the corn feeders frequently. I've used tripod feeders as well as hanging 5 GAL feeders (Both are electronic spinners) and both got ignored this last year. In the spring and summer they were feeding at them regularly but as soon as the fall hit the deer stopped coming. Now the raccoons were another story, they were there like clockwork and never missed a free meal.