First brisket...in progress

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Well...this is my first run at smoking a brisket. We trimmed up a six lb brisket and let it sit overnight in some rub. Its been in the smoker about 4 hours. Im guessing its about half done. I'm using a Bradley electric smoker. Its all I have room for at the moment.

brisket2.jpg

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
When you get room...this is what you want...

And the finished product should look like this...

Full disclosure, not my smokers. Last time we cooked we did 8 briskets and 8 shoulders along with a couple turkeys and some ribs.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Dang QBD2....that's one heck of a set up right there! My brisket is stubbornly sitting at 167-170. Ive decided to just take the dang thing off when it reaches 180 and let it sit in foil for awhile.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I wrap them in foil after that long and leave it on. The heat will go up rather quickly. Lot's of folks will frown on it but by that time it got all the smoke it's gonna get and it just gets to temperature faster. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Last edited:

witler

Eight Pointer
varies by cooker and size of meat...normally no less than 10 hrs. and keep heat below 220-225

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Another trick....Once its done, put it in a foil pan, wrap it in towels and put it in a good cooler. It will maintain temp and re absorb the juices while you make your side dishes.....

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Y'all are cooking way too long for my liking. I started cooking at 325-350 until it hits 175ish, finish in foil pan til 203 and haven't looked back. Done cooking in 5 hours and eating in 6.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
That doesn't look fit for human consumption. You should bring it to me and allow me to properly dispose of it.....

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
That doesn't look fit for human consumption. You should bring it to me and allow me to properly dispose of it.....

That's correct , but its a rather large hunk of chow. You'll require some assistance in its disposition. Have fork will travel ! ;)

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
With all due respect Tip,

I'm glad your first try didn't come out "perfectly". If it had, that might make smoking "easy" and thus, not the art form it has become. If it were "easy", everyone would be doing it, and I would smell smokers cooking EVERY day I drove up my street. I would have MANY more friends than I now have, but I would also be well over 400 pounds.

So it's a good thing that it came out good, but that you didn't nail it perfect on your first try. Imho.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Thanks guys...I will definitely be trying this again and will be using different rubs and smoke times/temps in the future. Stay tuned!

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's not a great testimonial, you'll eat a bucket of boiled peanuts.....

Now.... I don't eat crap like that, but I'd try that brisket.

You blasphemed against boils peanuts. Them's fightin words!;):D

Nice job for a first attempts, Tip. Keep at it!

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I commandeered the lil' pit Sunday...not brisket but ribs. Not bad for my first try;)

We don't need no stinkin' sauce:)

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They was fit to eat too! The grilled corn on the cob, tater salad and the pan of baked beans with chunks of brisket in them were not shabby either. The jalapeno stuffed chicken was fittin too!

Last edited: