Ar 10 build or buy

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
So thinking I want an AR 10 in 308. Looked at a few off the shelf guns and well they are kind of proud of them. What can a good one be built for with good quality ( doesn't have to necessarily be top shelf stuff) components?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
So I was contemplating this exact thing earlier this year. I wanted an AR but wanted something I could hunt with which is why I was looking at the AR-10. From what I found, I could build exactly what I wanted for cheaper than I could buy and upgrade plus it allowed me to get exactly what I wanted. However, in the end I ended talking myself out of an AR-10 and instead when with a AR-15 design but in 300 Blackout. This was so I could hunt with it since it was 30 caliber and had larger bullet weight selections but also since the parts and upgrades for AR-15s are cheaper and much more universal since they are milspec. When looking at the AR-10s I found that all parts were automatically more expensive and also you had to be very deliberate on making sure parts are compatible.

As for price, there are a bunch of factors you'll need to consider (Materials, upgrades, etc). I would say for the basic AR-10 without any upgrades you could build one for around $600 without optics. PSA has a good deal on a kit minus the lower for $499 but its pretty basic. You may be able to shave off a little more if you go synthetic parts but that's a personal preference. I built my 300 BO for $825 but got it exactly the way I wanted with MAGPUL furniture, Aero Precision Parts, VG6 Break/Compensator, and upgraded hand guards. I waited for all parts to go on sale so it took 3 months before I finally picked up everything.

Overall have fun and build what you want the first time if you can or you'll spend a lot more money upgrading as you go.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have never seen anything of qualtity for a AR10 in the 600 range.

Most run 800 to 1000 for a basic.

I just built one up, not a full build.
Wanted a 18" barrel for hunting and found a deal from MidwayUSA on a CMMG 18"ss FF tube billet upper. They had them for around 850 shipped.
They do a really nice gun, mid weight barrel, 18" coated ss barrel.
Then found a CMMG lower at a local shop, they are billet and it alone was 225$ range.
The rest I had parts used a Giessele trigger and Magpul A1 stock and pistol grip.
My guess is about 1400$ for a good gun that will shoot.

One thing building an AR10 you need to know the parts needed for your gun or you will waste money and time getting stuff not needed that will not fit.

The AR10 is not m something you want to look at how cheap you can get it but how good and long it will last. They are not an AR15. Lot more pressure.

BTW, one thing I like about CMMG is their lifetime warranty. They are easy to get on the phone, get specs, answer questions and easy to find.

Sorry but after dealing with PSA and seeing problems with there junk I would never buy anything from them again. Dont trust them on shipping and stock. Ordered stuff in the past in stock said would ship Monday first thing..... They did not say it was.monday 6 to 8 weeks down the road or longer.......

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah gadget most of the guns I have looked at are in the 2600 to 2700 bucks . Just wondering if I can build the same quality gun cheaper then that

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
From looking at some of the newer 2500 to 2800 guns yes you could build one.
They are not as nice as the older guns at that level.
Too many makers and new ones in that level building.

The factory CMMG and a few others are real nice for the 1500 range.
I have not been able to shoot mine at distance yet but it will hunt fine im sure.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Sorry I guess I should have asked your budget. I can't speak for the PSA brand as I've only ever bought Aero precision but the guys I talked to swear PSA was good but again no personal experience. At that type of budget, I'd recommend looking at the Aero Precision M5 series of AR-10s. You'll pay around at$1000-1500 but I can speak their quality is amazing and you can build them to whatever finish and stock type you desire and they are DPMS compatible.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
d305acac9b4e5e11e17767164ea92032.jpg

Upper is an Areo Precision with a 22' Ballistic Advantage barrel in 6.5 creedmoor. Lower is a DPMS from my LR308

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Travis what are the component list on that gun? That is pretty much what I had in mind except in 308....

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Stock is a Luth-ar fixed stock.... all the adjustability of a PRS at less than 1/2 the price, got it on sale for $99.00
Forend is a Clark Custom carbon fiber $149.00

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Was going to build a 6.8 SPC II upper for a hunting rifle however just was given a .308 80% lower and the quest begins!

CD

Last edited:
Last edited: