Finally, a fawn

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Checked a couple of cam this morning and had a pic of a first fawn. Can't be more than a couple of days old. Most does still looking very heavy so maybe it won't be too long before there are a bunch running around.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They have been showing up here. Couple weeks ago was heavy hay work around here, the usual turkey and fawn mortality was high. You could see the buzzards in about every field the 2nd or third day after cutting started. The fields where you would see spots of high grass in an otherwise flat field you knew they saw the hen or fawn before it got mowed.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had two fawns following their mother cross the road in front of me a couple of days ago, I like to see that.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'm anxious to see how far behind the other pregnant does are. At 201 days, if this fawn was 2 days old when photographed, that puts mama bread on Nov. 3. Will be interesting to see when the others drop.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Got at least one here by the house so far,it was pretty good sized,so maybe a week or two old.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
They have been showing up here. Couple weeks ago was heavy hay work around here, the usual turkey and fawn mortality was high. You could see the buzzards in about every field the 2nd or third day after cutting started. The fields where you would see spots of high grass in an otherwise flat field you knew they saw the hen or fawn before it got mowed.

Probably a stupid question on my part, but since I'm not a farmer, why couldn't someone (or several people) walk a field before mowing to maybe reduce the mortality rate?? Jump the deer and mark the nests with something.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Nice to hear some good news from up your way. I know you are happy about it. Oh and thanks for the email pick of Waterhead's yote with the fawn in his mouth. That has to be a pretty rare thing to see much less to kill one like that.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Probably a stupid question on my part, but since I'm not a farmer, why couldn't someone (or several people) walk a field before mowing to maybe reduce the mortality rate?? Jump the deer and mark the nests with something.

If someone was inclined to do it, it'd be near to impossible because I'm pretty sure those fawns will sit tighter than a tick once parked, and you'd have to step on one to find it.

I'd like to fly a drone with a thermal scanner over such a field and see what could be detected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
All you would have to do is jump the deer, it's not going back to the same spot.

Farmers do not have the manpower to do online sweeps of fields prior to harvest to run animals out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
More times than not the doe isn't there with the fawn in the first place. You would almost have to step on them to see them depending on what type of crop you are cutting. Rye is between waist to chest high. The turkeys are of course hunkered down but more times than not they will bolt before the machine hits them. If the actual tire doesn't run over the nest and the guy running the mover sees it they usually will lift up just to mark the spot, the tedder will be what annihilates the nest.

Right here is a nest from last week. It was right on the edge before getting in the field. Straddled it with the tractor making the first round. They are still setting, she came right back on it before the tractor made two rounds.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I tell you..... this is a crazy place up here. I haven't seen another fawn nor got one on cam. All the does are still fat and carrying. And back the first of this month I got a picture of an 8 pointer that was fully formed and looked ready to rub out.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Just saw my second fawn this afternoon. Again, couldn't be more than a couple of days old. It walked under mama to nurse and didn't have to bend over. So, if this one was born 2 days ago, that would put mama being bred on Dec. 1. Wonder what happened to all those in between.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just saw my second fawn this afternoon. Again, couldn't be more than a couple of days old. It walked under mama to nurse and didn't have to bend over. So, if this one was born 2 days ago, that would put mama being bred on Dec. 1. Wonder what happened to all those in between.
I saw one the other day that probably was close to 40#, easily 35. It could book going across a field.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
For the small number of deer up here last year I'm surprised that there is as much spread in the breeding dates as this indicates.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
Saw two yesterday, one was crossing a plowed field, I'm assuming it was trying to keep up with the momma. Saw another one
in a yard that was wobbly when trying to run, looked about two or three days old.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
Here in Moore county, I got my first fawn trail cam pic of a fawn on 06/16/2017 & saw two fawns with their mother this morning.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I was out planting last weekend and saw two different fawns. When I pulled cards from different locations I had 3 didderent fawns on camera. One looked like it was just born not to long before the pic was taken.

Gilly

Ten Pointer
Pulled a couple cameras this past weekend. The only pic I had of a fawn was on June 6th and it was just out of the womb. Several other does still holding and/or did not appear to be pregnant up to this last weekend. Southern Alamance area.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
seen one very confused one this am. I guess her mama was just hit or ate. she was running back and forth across the road.