Cyber scouting for grouse

apphunter

Four Pointer
I need some advice about scouting for grouse places. I don't want anyone's spots. I want to know what I need to be looking for online.

Certain elevations? I know I need to find edge habitat but anything more specific.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I need some advice about scouting for grouse places. I don't want anyone's spots. I want to know what I need to be looking for online.

Certain elevations? I know I need to find edge habitat but anything more specific.

I would look for areas that burned this fall. I also seem to remember hearing that you should burn boot leather on south facing mountainsides. This is from someone that hasn't grouse hunted since I've moved to the south.

Last edited:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer

3,500' plus. (Unfortunately the case due to the lower populations these days)
Birds are going to change based on weather during season, so a hot ridge in October might be dead in January
Online scouting won't help too much since you won't be able to see the size of the stands you're looking at.

When it's super cold in the mornings I hunt on the south sides of the mountains, and switch over to the north sides in the afternoon when the birds get into the darker hollers eating ferns.

Need to just go walk. No substitute for that.

The old timers always told me that a 10-15 year old cutover is the best. I hunt mainly in the NW mountains where there hasn't been any high elevation timber cutting for years on public land.

SW mountains were always better for me finding great numbers of birds but there was also a lot more recent timber cutting out there... Just too far to drive on a Saturday by myself when I know I can get some birds up a little closer.

Where are you trying to hunt??

apphunter

Four Pointer
Where are you trying to hunt??

I'm trying to hunt where the birds are. I don't really have a spot in mind just trying to narrow it down so I don't have to expend as much gas and boot leather looking for them.

I'm willing to go any where that I have access.

I'm picking up a new pup tomorrow so I have a lot of training to do and I want to be sure I can put him on some birds.

Probably won't happen this fall but definitely next year.

gaberelli

Button Buck
As a boy that grew up hunting grouse in northern Wisconsin, I'm curious about grouse hunting here. Grouse love younger stands of woods and usually reside where it's thick (and tough shooting). I might do some cyber scouting myself and head west side of state this Dec/Jan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
where at gaberelli? I too grew up in Northern Wisconsin,,,,,,no grouse here compared to up there,,,,,but they are findable,,,,,,,

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Above 3,500ft. Hard to cyberscout. Public land logging is basically non-existent in NW NC. Private land is a different matter. Relatively easy to get access after deer/bear season. Good luck....grouse hunting is like unicorn hunting hard, but rewarding.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
where at gaberelli? I too grew up in Northern Wisconsin,,,,,,no grouse here compared to up there,,,,,but they are findable,,,,,,,

That's where I go for Grouse, north of Mercer, below the UP. 2nd and 4th weeks of Oct. before the ninjas hit the deer woods....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
bailey - not too far from my old (real old - like 60s and 70s) stomping grounds,,,,,and yeap, the orange army invades in late November,,,,,,,,

gaberelli

Button Buck

I grew up in Eau Claire but hunted around our hunting shack in southern Bayfield county near Hayward. Even there grouse numbers have been down for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
bailey - not too far from my old (real old - like 60s and 70s) stomping grounds,,,,,and yeap, the orange army invades in late November,,,,,,,,

I'll be honest, the Orange Army scares the crap out of me. I've only been in the area of them a few times but what I saw would scare a dead man. I don't think they care if they actually kill a deer or not, It's the drinking and partying that is the biggest draw. I know that their not all that way but there is a good percentage of them that stay drunk for the entire 2 week season.
After the last week of Oct I don't go back until the following year but I hear the tales....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bailey, do you go up every year like that? 2 different weeks in October? Do you fly or drive?

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'll be honest, the Orange Army scares the crap out of me. I've only been in the area of them a few times but what I saw would scare a dead man. I don't think they care if they actually kill a deer or not, It's the drinking and partying that is the biggest draw. I know that their not all that way but there is a good percentage of them that stay drunk for the entire 2 week season.
After the last week of Oct I don't go back until the following year but I hear the tales....

Unless something has changed ghe regular deer season is 9 days. They do have youth season and a doe day (s) in October I do believe but that 9 day has always been "deer season"

But other than that - yeap

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What is also interesting is that they produce the regs in three languages - unique in the United States

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Bailey, do you go up every year like that? 2 different weeks in October? Do you fly or drive?

I usually go the 2nd and 4th weeks. Depending on what time I have depends on flying/driving. I actually prefer to drive it, gives me some decompression time and I can carry whatever I want..... PLUS.... sometimes a 4WD may not be available in Milwaukee.... AND it makes it easier to bring back birds...

Last edited: