What a difference a year makes?

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
A couple years ago, a guy told me he wouldn't shoot a bird unless it gobbles all the way in. I know he was exaggerating, but I told him that I'd rarely kill a bird if that was the required criteria for me to shoot one. I told him it seems like I'm always having to try to finesse or play dirty tricks to persuade one into gun range.

Well, after thinking about that, and this discussion on difficult, strange acting birds last year https://nchuntandfish.com/forums/showthread.php?127969-Musing-on-a-strange-2016&highlight=musing , it just wouldn't be right not to point out the contrast with this year.

I can't remember a year quite like 2017, in a very good way. In stark contrast to 2016, and even normal years for me, 2017 was the year of birds acting like they are supposed to - gobbling and coming in enthusiastically. In 8 days of carrying a gun, I had 11 gobblers in gun range (all who gobbled their way to me), and walked away from 7 or 8 more gobbling birds (not including the 5 I let walk away who came into range with a buddy that died) because I had no tag left. I don't think I've experienced a spring like that before. Yes, I had a couple walk-away birds this year also, but they were the exception, not the rule, and only served to enhance the enjoyment of the ones that gobbled in to me.

Anybody else think 2017 has been an especially good year for killing turkeys? Or was I just extremely fortunate this year?

Last edited:

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had the opposite experience where I was hunting.. last year the ones I killed acted like they were supposed to.. this year they were all "off" and it took more stalking and working my way into the right position to kill them.. I think a lot just depends on timing and the mood they happen to be in that day.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
A couple years ago, a guy told me he wouldn't shoot a bird unless it gobbles all the way in. I know he was exaggerating, but I told him that I'd rarely kill a bird if that was the required criteria for me to shoot one. I told him it seems like I'm always having to try to finesse or play dirty tricks to persuade one into gun range.

Well, after thinking about that, and this discussion on difficult, strange acting birds last year https://nchuntandfish.com/forums/showthread.php?127969-Musing-on-a-strange-2016&highlight=musing , it just wouldn't be right not to point out the contrast with this year.

I can't remember a year quite like 2017, in a very good way. In stark contrast to 2016, and even normal years for me, 2017 was the year of birds acting like they are supposed to - gobbling and coming in enthusiastically. In 8 days of carrying a gun, I had 11 gobblers in gun range (all who gobbled their way to me), and walked away from 7 or 8 more gobbling birds (not including the 5 I let walk away who came into range with a buddy that died) because I had no tag left. I don't think I've experienced a spring like that before. Yes, I had a couple walk-away birds this year also, but they were the exception, not the rule, and only served to enhance the enjoyment of the ones that gobbled in to me.

Anybody else think 2017 has been an especially good year for killing turkeys? Or was I just extremely fortunate this year?

That was my experience this year, also know several others in the area that had good seasons.

Another observation that was odd to me was the amount of long spurred turkeys. I know of at least 6 guys killing birds with spurs 1.5" and over this year. Never saw anything like that happen in one year.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
My season was the exact opposite. I only setup on 1 bird,it was actually 4 running together, that acted "right ".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Complete contrast to last season for me. Filled one tag but had 9 legal birds within TSS range throughout the season that came in gobbling. Most all of the walk away gobblers I encountered I was hindered by a property line so I could not move to make my location more appealing to them.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I made a similar comment couple weeks ago. Very little roost gobbling, lots of gobbling on the ground and every bird that was killed gobbled and strutted tell getting shot. Prior to the season starting I mentioned to a new hunter on here how it rarely happens like it does on TV, go figure.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i wasted too many mornings on the same acting sc and nc gobblers who walked away in the worst possible way. they flew away off the roost and never returned.

it will be nice when order is restored and they make some mistakes for me.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I only hunted 2 mornings up at the Rock but the birds were normal as usual up there. The 2 mornings around the house here in Harnett was great. Never heard more than the 1 bird across the road for the last 4 years. This year we had 6 gobbling birds around here and
I got 2..... :)

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Some years are easy. Almost like I'm part live hen. Some years are just tough. Most years are a little mix of both. I don't think there is any measureable reason for it other than being on birds at the right place and right time. Some years we just do everything right and birds come right in.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Was dependant on location where I found birds they were fired up and eager to commit even had few leave hens to come in for look every day I hunted heard gobbling with poorest being in nPisgah where area I was in still not recovered then move to different couties and could have easily killed 6 mature birds and sen few jakes which was encouraging

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I was only able to sit for 1 morning hunt this year, no gobbling that day but maybe they will be there next year.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
some years the birds are lucky and some years we get lucky. they arent any dumber from year to year and our skills dont rise and fall each year.

It is exactly why the sport can be so much fun. You just never know.

Last edited:

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I can't remember a year quite like 2017, in a very good way. In stark contrast to 2016, and even normal years for me, 2017 was the year of birds acting like they are supposed to - gobbling and coming in enthusiastically.

I'll have to agree. Though I did spend a considerable amount of time unsuccessfully hunting turkeys where there weren't any this year for whatever reason, at the other places I hunted where I did get on birds, they were very cooperative. Of the 6 gobblers I set up on and worked this season, 4 of them came in relatively quickly. The 5th was with other birds and off the property so I had to wait him out, but eventually he came over. The 6th one walked away from me...in a hurry...gobbling as he left. Again, I agree the gobblers seemed more willing this year than usual. I expect I'll pay a price for that come next season.

Randy

Ten Pointer
Spring of 2017 was the 1st I can remember where I heard gobbling every morning I scouted and every morning I hunted. However, most of it was on the roost and things tailed way off after flydown. Only heard gobblers two days after 7:30 am and absolutely no gobbling in the afternoon or before flyup. Saw more hens with gobblers than in past seasons. Had a number of gobblers respond to calling but not come. I was only able to kill my 1st turkey the 1st week by seeing where he and the hens with him roosted and set up on their path after flydown. It wasn't until the 3rd week that I was able to find a couple of gobblers by themselves and call them in and kill one.

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
Tagged out in two hunts in the first hour of each hunt and then called two in for a couple of friends. (No shot & busted) Those two birds were with the bird I had killed 4 hours earlier and the two friends came out after I had texted them saying I had birds gobbling their heads off at 11:30 in the morning get out here. By far the most responsive season I have experienced.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
i wasted too many mornings on the same acting sc and nc gobblers who walked away in the worst possible way.

This was me, but in VA. I don't know how many times I sat down to the most aggravating pair of 2 year olds I've ever encountered.

But hey...at least my defeats were noisy... although I can't say I didn't have my chances. The first time they were in range, I didn't like the shot(moving target in a thicket), and the second I couldn't get a positive ID(almost black dark in the morn) until it was to late.

Last edited:

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
NO!!! YOU WIN!!!

Congrats!!!! ;)
Call up three long beards this year none gobbled at all came in silent not much gobbling at all last couple years don't know if it's all the coyote or what didn't use to be that way I hunt central N.C

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk