Changes to Deer Management …… Add your 2 cents

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
18581961_1053227788140753_1015581309322584042_n-169x300.jpg

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission is holding meetings across the state to get feedback on future management strategies and what direction they should take. There is a lot of factors and different interests that will certainly come into play. I don’t think everyone will be happy with whatever the outcome will be. Just some random thoughts I have about the ideas being tossed around…… will cutting the firearm season in the east to about a third of what is has been be the straw that breaks the back of the hound hunters? what will be the impact on hunting leases? Will you be willing to pay the same amount to hunt a lot less time or will you roll that money into a trip out of state to hunt for a week where you have better odds of getting a crack at a trophy? Economic impact in some of the poorest rural parts of our state….. less travel for hunts, less lunches and dinners sold, gas, other services. The impact on the deer herd while it maybe down a bit now if it bounces back will the State be nimble enough to make adjustments regionally to reduce the herd or will we see even more outbreaks of blue tongue and other diseases. What is the impact of predators on the herd and what is the plan to keep them in check? Less days afield for hunters and an increase in road kill seems to suggest some boon days for the yotes. The flipside A more balanced healthy herd is what we expect from good management. Bigger bucks? Letting the young one’s walk will help us get there and a 2 buck limit statewide seems like a good idea. As you can see there is a lot of factors that come into play so its worth your time to get out and have some say on what our future holds.
-Moose-

More...

Last edited:

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So if I'm reading the WRC right- these changes will possibly be brought up in Jan 2018?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
i think NCWRC has done a good job managing the deer herd,I can remember well when there was very few deer to hunt...at least they recognize when they need to change things and act on it.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not a fan of pushing back and shortening seasons but these aren't horrible. I'm ok with a statewide 2 buck limit, I just won't be burning a tag on culls at my friends in Halifax. Hunters will adapt to the changes, maybe grumble about it but things will return to a normal pace. One thing I wish they would address is increasing the penalties for a lot of the "rule breakers" that will still trespass, poach, and shoot 20 a year regardless of any laws. I understand how understaffed they are and that the wardens only catch a small % of offenders. While it would suck to get a fine for misinterpreting or misreading a rule, any time I hunt or fish I realize that ignorance is no exception for a law and that's just the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For the NWNC I was actually pretty happy with it. All said and done we actually pick up an extra week of archery

ncbowhunter41

Four Pointer
Other than changing the district lines and extending the season into January, how is this different than the way it was 8 years ago? One week muzzleloader starting the first Saturday of November, going one week and rifle season starting the Saturday after that. Of course for central zone.

I think they should start one week later. Rifle season is too long and should be shortened. That's just my .02 cents.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When you compare the two new eastern zones, they are identical to each other except the NE would be one week shorter. Seems like a lot of effort for just that slight difference.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I don't like the seasons ending on Sunday, but then again I am a hound hunter. The NE gun season is two weeks shorter. This all might make a difference with the statistics on the state or regional level but I don't think it will have a significant impact on the micro or local harvest levels.

Maybe, people won't come east to hunt.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
When you compare the two new eastern zones, they are identical to each other except the NE would be one week shorter. Seems like a lot of effort for just that slight difference.

Yes, but DRASTIC changes to BOTH of those zones!!!! Not sure why they split it into 2, but the 2 buck and 4 doe limit will be the argument. Not the week difference.

IMHO>

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, but DRASTIC changes to BOTH of those zones!!!! Not sure why they split it into 2, but the 2 buck and 4 doe limit will be the argument. Not the week difference.

IMHO>

They split them by biological data like peak breeding dates and rut timing.

It wasn't just done willy nilly.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

IMHO>
I respectfully disagree. Many hunters have been calling for a statewide two buck limit.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

I think the difference is based on peak breeding, so the week difference is relative. But I personally think it would be a nice improvement for the northeastern portion when compared to current regs.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Would there be any reduction of days you could kill a doe in the new NE and SE regions?

They are not looking at changing either-sex seasons. A county that has a maximum season would stay maximum.

hayco10

Eight Pointer
If they would add a week of black powder the first week of January since it is proposed to reduce to one week, that would help the primitive weapons crowd maybe

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm all for pushing the gun season back. Deer hunting in late Sept / early Oct is just too hot weather-wise for me. And I've always thought going to a two buck limit state-wide would improve the quality of the buck herd in general.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I'm all for pushing the gun season back. Deer hunting in late Sept / early Oct is just too hot weather-wise for me. And I've always thought going to a two buck limit state-wide would improve the quality of the buck herd in general.

Improve quality of buck herd in those in Eastern part of state, what about the herd elsewhere

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Improve quality of buck herd in those in Eastern part of state, what about the herd elsewhere
You're right. A a two buck limit won't change things in the western part of the state.

Since I hunt in the eastern part of the state that's where my focus is.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will be at the Nash county meeting on June 1st.........anybody else going to that one?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

IMO... The only way to improve the "buck herd" (assuming you want a higher percentage of older bucks) is with APR's or a shorter and after the rut gun season. Between the 2 methods, I favor the after the rut gun season, especially if you have a 1 or 2 buck limit. I hope the eastern area gets modified to a similar structure.

Managing deer isn't rocket science. There are plenty of successful models all over the country. North Carolina's model is to manage for opportunity with liberal Doe harvests to keep the population in check.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
my $.02 is who in the world need weeks and weeks of gun season to fill their freezers or egos. i would love to see the positive impact on buck size that could come from just shortening the gun season.

then i remember the dog hunters who surely dont want to lessen their fun. that's an expensive deal to keep up for five races a year.

I sure would hate to be trying to find the right compromise.

The small sample of hunters we have here and their widely varying interests show how complicated it can be.

Last edited: