Changes to Deer Management …… Add your 2 cents

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have been hunting deer for 40 years and remember when you rarely saw a deer. During the 90's and early 2000's everyone got spoiled. I think that is the real problem.

yeap,,,,,,,,agree on the spoiled folks that missed earlier years,,,,,,

but I also know that we saw WAY more deer on bragg in the 80s than you see since mid 90s,,,,,,,,I have my suppositions on the "why" but it had nothing to do with bag limits, antler restrictions, or disease,,,,,

some blame coyotes, and they are a factor,,,,,,but the herd was dropping before the large increase in coyotes,,,,,,,

I blame this fellow, which led to man driven habitat changes,,,,,,,

Red-cockaded_Woodpecker_m39-1-010_l_1.jpg

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Reducing from 4 to 2 buck limit in the east is a step in the right direction but not a big step, just the easiest step available right now for helping buck numbers and age. It will help a little but there are to many variables I wouldn't trust any statistics after implemented unless they were very very obvious. But in this case the changes will not be large if any at all. There are more people shooting 4 buck limits illegally then there are legally and those guys aren't gonna cut back because of a new rule.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

but I also know that we saw WAY more deer on bragg in the 80s than you see since mid 90s,,,,,,,,I have my suppositions on the "why" but it had nothing to do with bag limits, antler restrictions, or disease,,,,,

some blame coyotes, and they are a factor,,,,,,but the herd was dropping before the large increase in coyotes,,,,,,,

They are going to worry about where you got that pic of that RCW without bands on his legs. Chased them on and around Ft. Bragg in the mid 90's. I could have told you were there was a really nice buck at.

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
I am glad you don't run the NCWRC!!...........And wouldn't 8 bucks a year and all the does you want be a law also?????

You obviously do not know much about the herd in NC.
Your right I am no biologist but I think I watch enough deer to know a little about the herd where I hunt as I spend 2-4 days a week in off season and more during deer season either hunting or training dogs......... there are deer behind every bush. Where I hunt if we dont kill the deer the farmers will simple as that. Im sure in other parts of the state the deer herd may not be as strong but for the most part east of 95 there are plenty of deer. But like Ive said before this is strictly my opinion and you know what they say about those. I feel like if 90% of the people complaining about their deer herds would get off the computer and get in the woods and hunt, their opinion might be different.

Last edited:

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
Yea because we all know how having no limits worked out for Duck populations and Bison populations out west and how about all those deer we had around here in the 50s and 60s...

Your right. But lets think about how we rebounded from the low deer numbers........ only bucks could be killed except for the couple doe days. So now all of a sudden when people cry about deer numbers they want to decrease the buck tags and leave the doe tags at unlimited. Im no rocket scientist but last I checked without does around, its kinda hard to have a good fawn crop. All these laws are trying to do it set up NC to be an outfitter state and draw in the big bucks( both antlered and $$$$)

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Your right. But lets think about how we rebounded from the low deer numbers........ only bucks could be killed except for the couple doe days. So now all of a sudden when people cry about deer numbers they want to decrease the buck tags and leave the doe tags at unlimited. Im no rocket scientist but last I checked without does around, its kinda hard to have a good fawn crop. All these laws are trying to do it set up NC to be an outfitter state and draw in the big bucks( both antlered and $$$$)

If the NCWRC has their way unlimited doe tags would be suspended and the limit would be 4 max in all areas of the state.

I guess we should just let dog hunters and farmers dictate all deer management.

Last edited:

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
If the NCWRC has their way unlimited doe tags would be suspended and the limit would be 4 max in all areas of the state.

I guess we should just let dog hunters and farmers dictate all deer management.

Doesnt really matter what the NCWRC does, farmers will dictate deer management in areas I hunt as they have done for years. Its quite simple. The farmers message is clear. Shoot the deer or I will find somebody that will. And when all else fails they will just kill them in the summer which I support them 100% in doing. Atleast with more generous tag limits, the burden would be off of the farmers some and hunters would be happier. Its a win win. Now if on your land you want to shoot 1 buck then I am in total support of you to do so but dont limit my buck tags because of how you want to manage the land YOU hunt on. I am not blind per say to see that some areas up in the mountains have extremely low deer numbers. But as far as eastern nc, the deer are here and here to stay. There may be off years for whatever reason as with any kind of game animal but overall, we had a very strong deer herd.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Your right I am no biologist but I think I watch enough deer to know a little about the herd where I hunt as I spend 2-4 days a week in off season and more during deer season either hunting or training dogs......... there are deer behind every bush. Where I hunt if we dont kill the deer the farmers will simple as that. Im sure in other parts of the state the deer herd may not be as strong but for the most part east of 95 there are plenty of deer. But like Ive said before this is strictly my opinion and you know what they say about those. I feel like if 90% of the people complaining about their deer herds would get off the computer and get in the woods and hunt, their opinion might be different.

Your right- other parts of the state are not as populated. Even in my area of Sampson, which has not been "loaded" for several years, last several years has seen a big drop off.

With the habitat & food east of 95, the numbers there will be higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Doesnt really matter what the NCWRC does, farmers will dictate deer management in areas I hunt as they have done for years. Its quite simple. The farmers message is clear. Shoot the deer or I will find somebody that will. And when all else fails they will just kill them in the summer which I support them 100% in doing.

I clearly understand farmers not wanting deer in their crops but I hope that doesn't continue to primarily drive deer management.

Even in the western end of the state there are people complaining about deer depredation.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

He has also screwed the pooch for deer and small game on the Sandhills also.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure what that means, where are you talking about? The numbers I quoted (50% reduction) were for Vance County as a whole.

Where I hunt in Vance, based on encounters with my own two eyes, no reduction in sightings.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
A/Rs are not the correct way to manage. A/Rs encourage "high grading" where you kill the better genetic bucks. No, the answer is to properly set the limit.

This is correct^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
Further, my .02 is that the NCWRC can [if given the chance] solve our deer herd crash and they will have to step on alot of toes to do it. If your toes are the first ones that get stepped on, I am truly sorry. But get over it and help the NCWRC do their jobs.
We in NC face the same problems as other states in this herd crash and we MUST do something, all of them are. The 2-buck limit may or may not make more mature deer but it will increase the herd overall.
I believe that ending the feeding of deer would be the best way to help our herd rebound. The NCWRC won't even try to do that IMO, but they might if these rules don't work.
So as they say, choose your poison. No telling what's going to happen before this is done.:skeerd::skeerd::skeerd::skeerd::skeerd:

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I personally welcome the reduction in numbers. Our herd will be healthier because of it. These population crashes like EHD and blue tongue out west is Mother Nature's way to keep numbers in check. Add the influx of the coyote and deer numbers should remain lower, which will be better for the habitat and the deer. I don't think we need anything more conservative done for overall deer numbers. They have been out of control for years.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Protect the does to increase numbers, a 2 buck limit will not make a difference in the over all population. Hunted a many of year when the deer population was growing and we didn't have a 2 buck limit. Seen some big bucks killed back then too.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
These population crashes like EHD and blue tongue out west is Mother Nature's way to keep numbers in check.
Not according to the NCWRC biologists, they say deer density is not a factor in EHD outbreaks. The sole factor is the number of insects, driven by weather conditions. EHD will be just as likely to occur in a thinly populated herd as a dense one.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
They are going to worry about where you got that pic of that RCW without bands on his legs. Chased them on and around Ft. Bragg in the mid 90's. I could have told you were there was a really nice buck at.

it's OK - they have come back so strong that there are plenty with no leg bands around here,,,,(I am in the Sandhills area),,,,Jay Carter didn't get all of them!!!

He has also screwed the pooch for deer and small game on the Sandhills also.

dang skippy,,,,,that whole "corridor" that Bragg wildlife, Fish & Wildlife mandate (1990), NCWRC, and the various universities established and the aggressive burn program doesn't help many species,,,,helps some of concern but Oh My on the others,,,,,,

Fort Bragg is considered to have the "most aggressive burn program" in the SouthEast and the Sandhills gamelands isn't far behind,,,,,,,

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Not according to the NCWRC biologists, they say deer density is not a factor in EHD outbreaks. The sole factor is the number of insects, driven by weather conditions. EHD will be just as likely to occur in a thinly populated herd as a dense one.

Fair enough as to the why and how part..... Mother Nature can be ruthless...

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Cut the doe season to 2 weeks first week of gun season and last week of gun season.... statewide and 1 buck rule state wide.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Cut the doe season to 2 weeks first week of gun season and last week of gun season.... statewide and 1 buck rule state wide.

That would be a waste of a bunch of deer and cost a lot of money.

You have a clue to the number of deer-car crashes and the total cost?

do stuff like that and you will end up with waste due to road kill...
You will also have more road hunters and more wasted shot and left in the field.

Check out some of the states that have short seasons or small limits. The deer will still die.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That would be a waste of a bunch of deer and cost a lot of money.

You have a clue to the number of deer
I am sorry. I should have said just temporary.
A season or 2..... From what I am hearing the NCWRC are not that far from what I suggested if push comes to shove. Right now the hunters are keeping the seasons as is but change is coming but it should be temporary from what I am hearing.

davidson county

Eight Pointer
I have read this and I see it like this. the bad hunter that hunts at night or on someone else stand will kill what they want. just like now. the honest hunter will hunt and chose what he or she shoots. ( nothing really changes here). just limits either on days to hunt or what to shoot. myself being out of hunting for the last few years. did not kill anything or even go in the woods. so to me, 1 or 2 deer a year or 5 a year. I will still hunt when I can. enjoy the out doors and my time on earth. I can ask for this or that to change. but will come down to what higher up sees how they want it. we just live with what we can.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Protect the does to increase numbers, a 2 buck limit will not make a difference in the over all population. Hunted a many of year when the deer population was growing and we didn't have a 2 buck limit. Seen some big bucks killed back then too.

Do you know anything about math?.......If one hunter that typically shoots 4 bucks follows the new 2 buck limit then exactly how in the hell does that not make a difference in the overall population????

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Do you know anything about math?.......If one hunter that typically shoots 4 bucks follows the new 2 buck limit then exactly how in the hell does that not make a difference in the overall population????

There are so few of those hunters, that it will be a difference that you will never see and that is what I have been saying all along. I can very well do math and 1 buck for 3400 acres here in Nash County, is going to make a huge difference I'm sure.

Last edited: