Wild West

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
We arrived at the place we planned on hunting just as gobbling was getting underway. We could not set up where we had originally intended, because the birds were roosting in a different area. Neither of us had been there since last year, so we really didn't have any idea how it will work out. But they were in the general area. So we swung wide and set up across an 80 yard opening and a ravine from where the birds were roosted on a hillside. We heard what sounded like two gobblers, and then a couple hens began sounding off.

We began calling fairly aggressively to the gobblers while they were still on the roost, because of the competition with the hens.

A couple of the hens flew down and I was able to persuade one of them to start headed our way by mimicking her. Soon I saw one of the gobblers on the ground and slowly heading our way about 100 yds out.

Within just a couple of minutes a gobbler was trotting towards us with two hens right behind him. I pointed my gun at the place I thought he was heading right out in front of a cedar tree in front of me. But then he never showed up where I was aiming and I wondered where he disappeared to. Then all of a sudden I saw him come up out of the ravine and trotted to about 4 yards away from me. I swung my gun on him hoping he would stop but he immediately turned and trotted but hesitated right at an opening about 10 yards away. I squeezed one off and he flopped down to the bottom of the ravine.

Now in the meantime, the second gobbler had made his way across the opening to about 30 yards, and he gobbled repeatedly after I shot his buddy. Since I had three tags all together, I decided to go ahead and try him as well. So I swung over on him and laid him out as well.

My brother looked at his watch, and said it is 6:02 AM. It had taken about 20 minutes to persuade them to come in to us from the time they flew down.

I looked up after the smoke cleared, and saw six hens on the side of the hill and had two more yelping back behind us. As we were basking in the moment, my daughter was anxious and decided she wanted to go get the first gobbler so she went down to the bottom of the ravine and brought him back out to show us.

46b8a98f1c2e33571f62901a0d03a489.jpg

82983d2ecaf01d014506d79f6d4f407f.jpg

We admired him and then went across to pick up the other bird. Both were very wet and their feathers immediately began to freeze in the cold temperatures.

84598d615a560331d5f7400b5e6c3111.jpg

030554fbc2ad8c539c98e5b825b85ee0.jpg

50a8518f5fa7a952012388224b9e0f87.jpg

Last edited:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
After taking some pictures, we started the long hike back up to the road. After much resting and eating of snacks on the way up, we got to the road at about 8:30 AM.

Since it was still early in the morning we decided to scout out an area we had never hunted in before, but had always wondered whether the birds used the place or not.

We got on the four wheeler and made our way in that direction. We stopped and called every couple hundred yards or so just to see if anything was around and ready to work.

At about 9 o'clock we stopped at one place and a gobbler answered us. So I got off the four wheeler, walked about 20 yards closer and yelped again. He not only responded right back, but another bird way off to the left also responded. So we decided to go ahead and work them.

Within 10 minutes we had heard at least seven different gobblers answering us, and one of them was getting closer quickly. So I turn towards him and soon he appeared easing through the underbrush in the beautiful mid morning sunlight, strutting, and then stopping and looking our way. When he got into an opening about 30 yards away, I squeezed another one off.

c299780bd3ba4ff32d6759a0b0c3994a.jpg

5493cae5e025c4b0cecd8d0381065cf5.jpg

2cfa9627fccfdd5ae93b530dc384647a.jpg

What a morning! I don't think I'll be able to top that one in a while, if ever.

Last edited:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Beautiful Hal! That last one looked more Merriam than the the first two. Just them being wet, merrio or Merriam?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
You gonna start guiding hunts out there? Must say, you had me going with the kill pics up first. I really thought you had let your daughter get her some western birds. As always, great story and you are still the man.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Must say, you had me going with the kill pics up first. I really thought you had let your daughter get her some western birds.

She loves going but just doesn't want to shoot. I pushed her hard as I dared but don't want to overdo it and mess up her desire to go with me. I'm hoping she'll be ready by next year.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
What took ya so long?!! :) That's whatcha call gettin er done right there!! Congrats....and thanks for the nice pics.