Gone but NEVER forgotten!!

hermiehunter

Four Pointer
Some of you may remember seeing posts last spring of my wife's gobbler she killed while battling an aggressive breast cancer. I had no idea that it would be the last turkey she would kill, but the kind comments and encouragement that we received through the forum was amazing! Unfortunately, she lost her battle with cancer on Monday morning, after 16 months. While she wasn't able to get a gobbler this spring, she did get to go hunting with me twice. Once, on opening day, we had a gobbler in range but wasn't able to get it killed. The other hunt was a bust, but we still enjoyed it! Those last two hunts with her will always be some of the most memorable hunts I've ever been on.

I was able to get my 6-year old sons first turkey this year during week 2 of our season. She was able to come celebrate that with us in the field, which will probably be the most memorable hunt ever for me. Seeing his excitement, as well as hers, was something I will never forget! I know that she was, and still is, so proud of him!!

I know she's in a better place now and is pain-free with no more suffering! And to make sure I knew that, she sent me a sign the day after she passed. While at the funeral home with the family, viewing the body, I had stepped out of the room for a few minutes to gather my composure. As I often do, I caught myself looking out the window at a grown up field behind the building. Thinking to myself it looked like a place for turkeys, I watched for several minutes to see if I might catch a glimpse of one. After a few minutes and no turkeys, I went back in to join the family. As I stood next to her, her cousin stepped in the room and called me to the other room. He doesn't hunt but knows how much I enjoy chasing turkeys. He told me there was a big turkey behind the building with a big beard hanging down. Sure enough, right where I had been looking, not 60 seconds ago, there stood a big gobbler!! He proceeded to walk right up behind the building, by the window which was next to her, and disappeared into the woods. At the time I didn't think much of it. But as soon as I got back over with her, it hit me...that was her telling me that she was in a better place watching over us! She knew how much I loved turkeys, and I feel for sure she sent that turkey as a sign for me! She knew I was struggling with this situation and needed encouragement to keep my head up.

I've met a few of the members on here and have had numerous encouraging messages regarding our situation. Sitting here tonight thinking of her, I just felt led to post this for some reason. She made it very clear in her final days, that I needed to witness to folks about never giving up! She kept her hope alive until she took her last breathe. And at only 29 years old, it would have been easy to be angry and turn her focus elsewhere, but she remained dedicated to the lord and wanted to make sure I let others know to do the same. I hope this is appropriate to post here...if not, I apologize for stepping on anyone's toes! But I know she would have wanted me to post it!!! Thanks again to everyone who reached out to me with kind words and prayers!! She may be gone from this world but will forever be in our hearts!!

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Prayers lifted for the comfort only the good Lord can give

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
Wow, so sorry to hear. This brought tears to my eyes for you and your son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyjam

Six Pointer
Sorry for your loss, and you are right she is in a better place. Prayers sent for you and your son.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Posts like that will NEVER be inappropriate in my book! You may not realize it, but you just honored your wife's request of witnessing. Prayers for you and your family.

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
I'm sure words carry very little meaning right now, but I am deeply sorry for your loss and cannot even imagine how you must feel or well be numb to the world around you. It is during these times though, we long for so much more and come to the understanding, this world is not our home. It is a preparation for eternity. I'm thankful your wife had a relationship with Jesus, she now has, what we all long for.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am very sorry for your loss and can't imagine what you are going through right now.
The story of your love for your wife is both amazing and encouraging to anyone with a heart, so never apologize for such a wonderful testament of love.
I sent prayers for comfort and peace for your family, thank you for posting this.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Thanks to both you and your wife for sharing your experience with us. Life is such a struggle much of the time and it is very helpful to be able to witness people such as yourselves face such difficulty with positive attitudes and with a spiritual and eternal perspective. We all will face tragedies during our lives and having examples such as yourselves to reflect on during those times can be very encouraging. Many prayers for you and your family.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm sure there is no words that can be offered as comfort. However, I will say it sounds like your wife was a strong Godly woman. I pray God gives you peace, and that you draw closer to Him.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Prayers for you and your family that the lord will give you strength, hope, and comfort

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Your wife is a beautiful lady inside and out and an amazing woman. To endure what she did and the trials that you all as a family went through with such grace shows what type of people you all are. Like thousands of other folks around, your family has been in my thoughts and prayers for a while and that will continue. I hope both of your boys realize or will realize just how special she was.

I'll see you at the church!

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Beautifully written I'm sitting here reading and tears are flowing. I pray Gods peace be upon you and your son. We never know when we will be called home. I want to drive to my wife's office now and hug here tight. We will continue to be in prayer for your family.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Beautifully written I'm sitting here reading and tears are flowing. I pray Gods peace be upon you and your son. We never know when we will be called home. I want to drive to my wife's office now and hug here tight. We will continue to be in prayer for your family.

Not sure I can type anything better than you have...great reply.

Hermiehunter you and your family are in my prayers.

Last edited:

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
May the God of peace, love and understanding comfort you and yours during this very difficult time...

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Not sure I can type anything better than you have...great reply.

Hermiehunter you and your family are in my prayers.

Since typing this I have probably teared up 5 more times. I just pray my faith is strong enough to endure the trials of earth as this gentleman's are.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Posts like that will NEVER be inappropriate in my book! You may not realize it, but you just honored your wife's request of witnessing. Prayers for you and your family.

Amen.

Thanks so much for sharing your painful experience with us. I feel blessed for having read it. This OP helps us all to keep things in proper perspective.