Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fall Plots

You might want to do a mix. I don't see why the oats wouldn't grow. I would wait till October to plant your grains.

Oats sprout surprisingly well. As long as they've got good soil contact and you get a good rain, they should sprout. I have had them sprout on gravel when I spilled a few.

You might sow them a little thicker than recommended knowing your germination rate will be lower.

Button Buck

I think that I am going to try a food plot this fall for the first time. I have limited equipment aka none at all, but part of the land has tobacco on it now so I was going to talk to the guy growing the tobacco to see if I could throw some seed out after he turns it over. It looks like oats and rye might be a good combo to try. It have done a little bit (Not a ton actually though) of searching on line but cannot seem to find a place in Greensboro to pick up the seed. Any ideas on who to call/where to check? Southern states was my first thought but I do not see anything on line except for the imperial whitetail brand.

Quote Originally Posted by tjfreddy View Post
    I think that I am going to try a food plot this fall for the first time. I have limited equipment aka none at all, but part of the land has tobacco on it now so I was going to talk to the guy growing the tobacco to see if I could throw some seed out after he turns it over. It looks like oats and rye might be a good combo to try. It have done a little bit (Not a ton actually though) of searching on line but cannot seem to find a place in Greensboro to pick up the seed. Any ideas on who to call/where to check? Southern states was my first thought but I do not see anything on line except for the imperial whitetail brand.
    Southern States keeps their brand of feed grade oats for between $10 to $15 a bag
    "I wish i could breathe life back in him, if i could i'd hunt him again tomorrow." Ben Rogers Lee.