How to keep sunglasses from fogging up?

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
I bowfish during the day a lot. I've got nice costas and visibility it great. But lately they keep fogging up.. any advice on how to keep this from happening?

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I've heard you can use liquid soap. Just wipe it on , let it haze up then remove it with a tissue. Never tried that though.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
I always used the paste, it doesn't wash off with masks either so it's tough stuff. Soap will work, but sweat will wash it into your eyes and can burn them.

Thanks! Just ordered some! Do you just wipe it on to clean then, then wipe it off?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks! Just ordered some! Do you just wipe it on to clean then, then wipe it off?

I clean the lenses good with a quality cleaner(I like the zeiss moist wipes from Sams Club) then coat the lenses with the product, rub in good with my fingertips, then wipe off. It seems to leave a better coating that way.
The coating will last all day if you wash the lenses off with water and don't rub them dry, if you wipe them off with a rag(or anything else) the product will need to be reapplied.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I get hot and sweaty and there's not a breeze the bottom 1/4 of mine will steam up a bit. Cat crap is also good on scopes and binocs.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We used to spit on our dive mask and rub it in........if you are in a pinch you could try it

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
When I was shooting competitively I used that little pink stick you got at the state fair from the guy doing showers and mirrors. Works great and lasts forever. I haven't been to the fair in probably 30 years and am still using the stuff that I bought back then.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
I ordered the cat crap stuff, got both the spray and the paste. The spray came yesterday and I tried it out. It definitely helped out a lot! The paste came today, Ima give it a try next. Thanks for all the replies!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I used the heck out of that Cat Crap back when I skied a lot every winter (on Uncle Sam's tax dollars),,,,,,,it is a good product,,,,,,,,even works on bathroom mirrors!!

Redline1969

Toothpaste. When I used to dive a lot in humid areas it worked wonders. Rub it all over and then wash off and the residue stays on the mask. Should work for sunglasses too. I also believe that is why people spitting in dive masks work too, residual toothpaste.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Ummm toothpaste works bc masks are shipped with a film on the glass that promotes fogging. The abrasives in the toothpaste remove this and prevents the fogging. You'll just end up with scratched lenses especially on poly lenses if you rub them with toothpaste.

Redline1969

Ummm toothpaste works bc masks are shipped with a film on the glass that promotes fogging. The abrasives in the toothpaste remove this and prevents the fogging. You'll just end up with scratched lenses especially on poly lenses if you rub them with toothpaste.

Huh, good to know. Although if it was just to take off the coating, I wonder why it kept working for the couple decades that I dove when I used it before every dive? I will have to try the Cat Crap stuff.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
The paste itself can help just because its gritty and there is some kind of coating on the lens. I'm not sure how your eyes handled the mint in your mask but good for you. After I cleaned mine with toothpaste, spit has worked ever since. Some guys I dive with have to use anti-fog all the time, iv never had that problem. A quick pass over the glass with a lighter, just enough to leave some soot will also take the film off the mask.