Purchasing a Camper, Need Advice

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I am looking to purchase my first camper. I am not against a pop up, but would much rather have a 22-27' pull behind trailer. I literally know very little who builds good quality campers, nor what all to look at when checking them out. Anything I should avoid or look for in used campers? I am not against going new, but would prefer to find a good deal on a used one. It will more than likely be used mostly at Jordan Lake on the weekends. Any input, suggestions or anything useful would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
I am looking to purchase my first camper. I am not against a pop up, but would much rather have a 22-27' pull behind trailer. I literally know very little who builds good quality campers, nor what all to look at when checking them out. Anything I should avoid or look for in used campers? I am not against going new, but would prefer to find a good deal on a used one. It will more than likely be used mostly at Jordan Lake on the weekends. Any input, suggestions or anything useful would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Buy airstream if you want leak proof and almost bullet proof. All others will cause you major headach will leak in the near future. That's why camper junk yards are full. And camper business are still in business. Think about the $100 night almost any where good you stay. The up keep taxes tires insurance bearings coating roof and interior etc. Just getting there will bite you in extra gas. You can do and stay a lot of places for the $$$ you pay without a cracker box in the yard waiting to make you miserable. They are worse than the boat saying best days are when bought and sold. Save yourself a headach.

dsink

Eight Pointer
We had a lot of fun when we had them. Yes, it will cost you more in gas and pulling them can be a pain depending on how big of a camper you get but it is a lot of fun once you get there, especially if you have younger kids.

The rubber roof on a camper is made to last 10 years before it needs to be replaced. Some last longer than others but I always kept that in mind when looking at used ones. Not sure what you will be pulling it with but I would suggest buying either a real nice popup or one of the hybrids that is like a travel trailer but the beds are big doors that slide out like a popup beds. Either one will be much easier to pull and the popup takes up much less room in the yard when not using it. We went through 4 campers, a small popup, a BIG popup, hybrid and then a 27' Jayco Jayflight travel trailer. We probably have the most fun in the big Coleman popup because it was easy to pull and we used it the most.

Find you a good deal on a nice used popup, buy it and try it out. If yall decide you dont like it, sell it and move on. If you do buy a popup, hit me up, there are some tricks you will want to know that makes them better.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
Buy airstream if you want leak proof and almost bullet proof. All others will cause you major headach will leak in the near future. That's why camper junk yards are full. And camper business are still in business. Think about the $100 night almost any where good you stay. The up keep taxes tires insurance bearings coating roof and interior etc. Just getting there will bite you in extra gas. You can do and stay a lot of places for the $$$ you pay without a cracker box in the yard waiting to make you miserable. They are worse than the boat saying best days are when bought and sold. Save yourself a headach.

Well staying at the lake is 20-25 bucks a night and about 40 minutes or so from the house. Like I said, I am not traveling to the beach with it every weekend, I want it to camp a weekend or two a month during the summer. As far as a boat, I love mine and part of the reason I want to camp at the lake. I have a three year old daughter who loves it. I do not want some 20k camper. I know what to expect cost wise, but really looking at what to look for. I enjoy it, so I will be getting one either way.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
We had a lot of fun when we had them. Yes, it will cost you more in gas and pulling them can be a pain depending on how big of a camper you get but it is a lot of fun once you get there, especially if you have younger kids.

The rubber roof on a camper is made to last 10 years before it needs to be replaced. Some last longer than others but I always kept that in mind when looking at used ones. Not sure what you will be pulling it with but I would suggest buying either a real nice popup or one of the hybrids that is like a travel trailer but the beds are big doors that slide out like a popup beds. Either one will be much easier to pull and the popup takes up much less room in the yard when not using it. We went through 4 campers, a small popup, a BIG popup, hybrid and then a 27' Jayco Jayflight travel trailer. We probably have the most fun in the big Coleman popup because it was easy to pull and we used it the most.

Find you a good deal on a nice used popup, buy it and try it out. If yall decide you dont like it, sell it and move on. If you do buy a popup, hit me up, there are some tricks you will want to know that makes them better.

I have thought about that, especially for a good enough deal. Try it for a few trips and if I dont care for it, at least get out of it for what I had in it. I have camped many times and have always enjoyed it, but I want to get my daughter into it.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm in the same boat as you chevy. I wanted to go the popup route as well, but my wife insisted on her own bathroom so... I have only tent camped as a kid so we'll see how it goes. I have done a lot of research on it in the last few months. Let us all know what you end up buying!

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I'm in the same boat as you chevy. I wanted to go the popup route as well, but my wife insisted on her own bathroom so... I have only tent camped as a kid so we'll see how it goes. I have done a lot of research on it in the last few months. Let us all know what you end up buying!

My wife said the exact same thing. She wants a bathroom and since she is actually interested in this, I want to pursue doing this since I enjoy it as well.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Another good option for occasional and especially seasonal use is to rent a camper. I've done it in the past when I needed a camper for a specific trip or need and it works out perfectly. Like renting a boat, you pay for the use only when needed but avoid the upfront purchase price, maintenance and all of the other costs as mentioned above. Check outhttps://lifehornscamping.com/ for a good place to rent anything from a pop-up to a convertible to a 26' actual camper trailer...believe me it'll be much cheaper to pay as you go. Note: the larger 20' convertible or "hybrid" is a great unit for smaller camp sites and is very accommodating for a family.

Bean

Eight Pointer
I have owned several and have one set up permanent now that I still use. I would recommend getting one with a slide out for the extra space, yes people will say you are asking for a leak but the added room is worth it. I would also look at several different makes before I jumped into one and be sure that you wife approves of the bathroom if you are married. They tend to run small in a lot of campers and if mama aint happy aint nobody happy. The most useful advice I can give you is buy one of the metal shelters to keep it under when you are not using it if you don't have a shelter at home already. Sitting in the sun and rain day after day is what gets them. I had a 29' Wildwood which I loved had to make one roof repair not long after I bought it (used) after that kept it under a shelter and with a little yearly maintenance it was good to go from then on.

thandy

Ten Pointer
We bought a 2005 Fleetwood Sequoia last year and we love it. I have camped all my lift from tent camping to staying in my parents 32ft tag-a-long. We got this one because of the high walls and that it had a bathroom. Nothing fancy just a toilet and a shower head but it works. With 3 kids we try to keep it to "number 1's" only and use the bath house during the day but its there if we need it. It also has 3 king sized beds so we can sleep 10 comfortably.

dsink

Eight Pointer
They do make popups with a toilet in them. Ours had one. That was one thing I wanted to be sure we had just in case we went camping and the god awful stomach bug hit..

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
If you are looking for a new camper I would suggest Country Crossroads, 2609 Enterprise Road, Lexington. The business is out in the country half way between Lexington and Winston-Salem. Country Crossroads is said to second in camper sales in the United States so he must have good prices. I have never been in the business but it is near me so I go by there quite often. It is unbelievable the campers we see going up and down the road. I know the family and they are outstanding folks. Our neighbors next door just bought a camper from there. It is very small but they said it had a queen size bed in it. I can't imagine!! You could call and check the inventory on used campers if you want to go that route. The number is 336-447-6424.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer

Eubanks01

Eight Pointer
I have been camping for many years. Started in a popup and now have a 33ft. Bumper pull. It is much easier to set up and down, and I wouldn't go back to a popup.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
I'd definitely buy a used one. Check very well for any signs of leaks/rot. Push on the floor and walls, paying close attention to corners and where the ceiling meets the walls. Make sure everything is solid. Shouldn't be any wet/mildew smell. Check all appliances, hvac, sinks, toilet, slide outs, generator, etc. for proper operation. Check the date code on the tires. They usually get old well before the tread is gone.
Roof replacement is about $100 per foot, not including fixing the rot. Isn't worth it.
Don't be afraid to make a low offer. I don't think many folks are in the market for a used camper, too easy to buy a new one for $100 a month.
Also, if you have a camper, you need a shelter for it. If not, they will deteriorate quickly, UV is hard on caulking and rubber roofs.
Good luck! We enjoy ours. It's nice to have everything packed and ready to go at anytime. I keep it plugged in with fridge and freezer stocked, clothes and essentials packed and ready, etc.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Another good option for occasional and especially seasonal use is to rent a camper. I've done it in the past when I needed a camper for a specific trip or need and it works out perfectly. Like renting a boat, you pay for the use only when needed but avoid the upfront purchase price, maintenance and all of the other costs as mentioned above. Check outhttps://lifehornscamping.com/ for a good place to rent anything from a pop-up to a convertible to a 26' actual camper trailer...believe me it'll be much cheaper to pay as you go. Note: the larger 20' convertible or "hybrid" is a great unit for smaller camp sites and is very accommodating for a family.

This ^^ might be a real good idea to try for a summer if you aren't really sure what you want. Good way to try before you buy and find out in advance if there are some things that just don't work for you or your family. Good luck whatever you do!

kyle7630

Twelve Pointer
Lots of good info on here. One thing to keep in mind is the number of people camping. Our pop up is one of the larger ones, and it sleeps the five of us very comfortably. The issue for us is still space. If it rains or we are stuck in the camper for any length of time other than sleeping, it gets small real quick, especially if you need to have your clothes and grocery in the camper. We primarily use ours for sleeping, and are usually off doing stuff during the day. One disadvantage of the pop up is that they are noisy to set up. There were a couple of times we got to our destination after dark and ended up crashing in the truck until quiet hours were over. One advantage of the pop up is pulling. For our pop up, the Tundra pulls it like nothing. We went through Maggie Valley last year and the truck had no issues. I don't know if the same would have been true with a big camper. As far as new vs. used, I usually look for a good used deal on whatever I buy. Check the roof for evidence of leaks. Check the gas lines for leaks as well. Run the AC for a bit. Definitely check the tires for dry rot. Check the floor around the sink, shower, and commode. Check the interior and the running lights. One thing my dad told me was to look at what they drive. The shape their truck is in, the kind of tires, the cleanliness etc all offer indications of how they maintain their other stuff.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I'm sure you have but I would recommend you do a good cost/benefit analysis on how much you plan to use it vs how much it will cost in payments, maintenance, and at site fees. The wife and I really wanted to get one a few years back. Once we set aside the emotional (I want one) factor and looked at it purely from a financial side, we found that we could stay in some extremely nice hotels and even fly first class to our destinations and still save money over what a decent RV or camper would cost. I've known a lot of people that buy them and in the end find out that they don't use it as much as they expected to and lost quite a bit of money when they sell it. I have known a few people who have used it a lot and have made it worth it either because they travel a lot for work or they live in one for a time while on temporary assignments so it pays for itself vs renting a place.

At the end of the day its a personal decision and its your money so by all means do what you want to with it, just be realistic about what your getting into going into it.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
A lot of solid advice from everyone on here. Thanks for the input. I hope to spend less than 5k on a used one to get an idea how much we may use it. If after a year we only end up going a few times, probably just move it and onto something else. I am looking for one in the 20-25' range. It will typically on be me, my wife and my 3 year old. But on occasion, there will be other couples or the nieces or nephews. I understand that staying places may be cheaper, but I will still use hotels and etc. as it makes sense. Probably wont be at the beach much with it. I assume 1-2 weekends a month at Jordan Lake. So the search will continue. Hopefully something will pop up soon.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had a pop up and hated it. To much up and down all the time. Easy to pull but a lot of work. Had a tow behind around 22 foot no slide. Not near enough room in there. May be fine for a couple and a kid but to many of us. Right now we are camper less but hope to get one with a slide maybe a fifth wheel. We loved it something about laying in your own bed is better. Can take your pets and do what you want. Keep it ready to go with everything you need hook up and roll. The place mentioned on Enterprise Rd is nice but last time I was there he had one of those wonderful signs on the front door. You know the one that steps all over your 2nd amendment needless to say I just left.

dsink

Eight Pointer
The camper place with the best prices is in Yadkin County but I cant remember the name of it. The place on Enterprise was the highest place around last time we shopped for one.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Buying a camper is NOT about saving money.
It's about NOT having to worry about bed bugs and other public spread vermin.

We are about to sell our 25 Ft Shasta Oasis since our family outgrew it. Replacing with a 30 ft 5th wheel.
It's only 2 yrs old with 1 slide out.

D&H Rv is in Apex where we rented motorhomes for 8 yrs to learn what we wanted in 1.

If you buy from Bill Plemmons RV in Rural Hall you get lifetime warranty....so that's where I'm going.

Last edited:

double

Twelve Pointer
As for the lifetime warranty. I have several friends and family members that have joined the camper craze and from listening to them the warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
As for the lifetime warranty. I have several friends and family members that have joined the camper craze and from listening to them the warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

That's correct on the Mfg warranty, but with Bill Plemmons it doesn't matter who made it, he supersedes the maker.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Be sure you get one close to home or where you travel all the time.

friends and family have had lots of problems with new ones.
Got home, found leak, drive it back for 3 days then go get it.
Got to camp site and had problems with items not working, electronic jacks not leveling anx other items.
stuff that cost you a day to drop off, day to pick up and 2 to 5 days down time.

Now another got a life time warranty due to his having a lot of AC, water heater and pump problems. His is an on site deal. About everytime he camps with us they need to send a service guy out. Thats on a 75k 5er.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The more you pull it the more you will work on maintaining the roof. I do know that much. A camper means maintenance. My brother has one in perfect condition for sale. He thought it was going to be great but he found out that the camper is more work than he wanted. Some folks like my cousin loves it but others like my brother hates it. You don't mind working on it from time to time then good luck. I bought a 6 yr old Salem Ultra Light and it lasted 4 years before I started having major roof leaks. Pulling it from Northampton county to Harnett county took its toll. I found out the hard way. My cousin told me that when he bought his the dealer told him every year to re seal his roof and fix any place that might possibly have a leak. Well I didn't do that cause I didn't know any better then . I do know now and have gutted my camper and have 2 tarps over the roof. :rolleyes: More of a super Tent now on wheels with a toilet and windows.
Good Luck

Last edited: