Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Case Capacity

Honestly with proper neck tension there is no need for a crimp in a modern centerfire rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When we (man) experienced our fall from grace, God endowed the dog with all the properties initially intended for us...honesty, loyalty, nobility etc. and made the dog our best friend to be kept by our side so that we could see what strengths of character we could aspire to....but never quite achieve.....

Four Pointer

Try seating the bullet by hand in a resized case, you should not be able to push the bullet in by hand. If you can you have a die adjustment problem or a bad die.

Four Pointer

Thanks for all the help guys. It's kinda inconsistent, sometimes the bullet will fall right inside the case after resizing, sometimes it only sits on top like it's supposed to. I'm gonna try reloading some with 165gr bullets and try to find a load that'll shoot them well, and I'm going to reload some with Varget, because it requires less powder than 4350. Both of those should solve any issue with capacity, it'll just depend on what shoots best.

Still need to get the neck sizer adjusted correctly. What neck sizer are you using?

When we (man) experienced our fall from grace, God endowed the dog with all the properties initially intended for us...honesty, loyalty, nobility etc. and made the dog our best friend to be kept by our side so that we could see what strengths of character we could aspire to....but never quite achieve.....

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by JJWise View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. It's kinda inconsistent, sometimes the bullet will fall right inside the case after resizing, sometimes it only sits on top like it's supposed to.
    A bullet should never "just fall right in" If it does you have a sizing issue or the wrong diameter bullets! Shooting lighter bullets so you can crimp is just covering up the issue! Even if you can get them to stay in place your performance will suffer! You need consistent neck tension to have any chance of
    accuracy from shot to shot.

Jeff

My 9th edition of Hornady's manual states that 54.5 grains is the max load for IMR 4350 with the 180 SST in 30-06. Check your resizing die and see if it is adjusted properly. If not, it will not provide enough neck tension to hold the bullet. Then do the same with your seating die to see if it is adjusted correctly. I'm getting very good accuracy with 50 grains of 4350 with 185 Bergers. No sense in going to a max load unless you know what you are doing and know the warning signs. My COAL is 3.34. What is your load?

Follow the directions that came with your dies or there are youtube videos that you can watch that will explain the proper set up for your particular brand set of dies. It's got to be a die problem.
    Last edited by Downeast; 05-18-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    “A Savage rifle, topped with a Vortex scope, shooting Berger bullets…pretty much living the white trash dream”

“Fish meat is pretty much a vegetable”

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    You need to loosen your lock ring on your die. Run the ram arm of your press up and screw your die down till it contacts the shell holder on the ram arm. Lower the ram arm and turn the die down another 1/2 to quarter of a turn. Lock the die adjustment ring and check the stroke of the press. There should be a noticeable 'bump' when the press cams over. Resize a case and check the bullet fit. The bullet should not slide in the case easily. If it does, you have a die issue. You are not properly resizing the neck on the cases and that is why the bullets will come out easily. Also when you seat bullets it should require some force to get the bullet in the case. Make sure you are properly inside and outside chamfering the case after resizing.

This...^^^^^ You shouldn't have to crimp anything unless you just like to do it. And the cannelure cannot always be used with some powders.
    80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's... Academic/Athletic Fraud spanning 4 decades, 4+ coaches and 2,645 student athlete enrollments. Dean Smith, Bill Guthridge, Matt Doherty, and Roy Williams. That's a ton of dadgum cheating...

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    Honestly with proper neck tension there is no need for a crimp in a modern centerfire rifle

Thats exactly right...

I would have to look it up but I want to say I use 52grs of powder with my reloads and the case is not even close to being full.
    But thats with a 150gr bullet too.

sent from...... Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJ74; 05-19-2017 at 07:25 AM.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by JJWise View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. It's kinda inconsistent, sometimes the bullet will fall right inside the case after resizing, sometimes it only sits on top like it's supposed to. I'm gonna try reloading some with 165gr bullets and try to find a load that'll shoot them well, and I'm going to reload some with Varget, because it requires less powder than 4350. Both of those should solve any issue with capacity, it'll just depend on what shoots best.
    Stop right here and re-read at least 2 reloading manuals procedures carefully, very carefully and then find a mentor who has been reloading for a while.
    You are on the cusp of a reloading accident [lots of folks only got one of these]. Also your load is at or above max in some manuals so be very very careful and work up to ANY max load or pay a huge price.
    Last edited by shadycove; 05-19-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadycove View Post
    Stop right here and re-read at least 2 reloading manuals procedures carefully, very carefully and then find a mentor who has been reloading for a while.
    You are on the cusp of a reloading accident [lots of folks only got one of these]. Also your load is at or above max in some manuals so be very very careful and work up to ANY max load or pay a huge price.
    x44,,,,,,,,,
    when the truth hurts,,,,,,