Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Changes coming in N.C. Turkey season?

Old Mossy Horns

1965 article on turkey management in NC.

http://digital.ncdcr.gov/cdm/compoun...id/7143/rec/21

Quote Originally Posted by bowhuntingrook View Post
    ^^^^ blow up in a good way hopefully, I know I'm happy with it now.
    in theory, the NC turkey flock could have a down turn in population like other states have had once they peaked out,,,,,,,from that middle chart you can see we are on a continuous population increase,,,,,don't know when/if we will peak,,,,,,could be a few years,,,,,,,

NW Georgia in the 1995-1997 timeframe had turkeys like you wouldn't believe,,,,I haven't seen flocks like that hear yet (50+ birds in one field) so maybe we are years from peaking,,,,,,,,,,,

or according to some we are in a crash and need to start restocking NOW!!
    Last edited by woodmoose; 05-19-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    when the truth hurts,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by woodmoose View Post
    not the 70's, but 1985 population density gives some idea,,,,

or the estimated populations 1970 through 2015,,,,

or the kill stats,,,,,,,,

despite the doomsayers and "sky is falling" crowd,,,,,this fellow thinks we are in the heyday of North Carolina turkey hunting,,,,,,,,,may blow up in a year or two,,,,,but it's been a great ride so far
    Yeah, and the same could be said for deer also. We have lived through the expansion "explosion". Most that are hunting them on here wasn't in the crowd that either traveled to the coast or the mountains to hunt them in the late '60s and early 70s. They have lived in the cream of the crop so to say. Now that it has peaked they really think the sky is falling.

Twelve Pointer

All we can do is enjoy the good times which are now no way to know how long it'll last but I'll take it as long as possible just hope when the decline does start we will learn from other states like Ark and take some pre-emptive actions

woodmoose, 50+ birds in the Spring would be crazy
    Shooting 2012 ELITE Answer

Quote Originally Posted by bowhuntingrook View Post
    woodmoose, 50+ birds in the Spring would be crazy
    can't remember if it was spring summer fall or winter,,,,just remember the sight of those turkeys in those fields down there on the farms we worked at,,,,,crazy number of birds,,,,you'd come over a ridge in the woods and flush 10 off of the top of it,,,,,,,,,

need to take a ride down that way and see what it's like now, 20 years later

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by woodmoose View Post
    the data I have,,,your a week late,,,,,first spring seasons were in 1968 and started 13 April,,,,,,,,ran for a week,,,,,,,,,season was in piedmont and coastal plain (closed in mountains),,,,,,,it was 1972 when they started the "3rd Saturday" seasons (around 20 April),,,,,,,
    You are likely correct as I was thinking about the seasons in the early 1970s right after the WRC got serious about building the turkey population and hired Wayne Bailey to oversee it. I believe he was the one to propose the later start date for the reasons I posted. He likely had others but I don't recall them.

Also, I believe the years the seasons you mention were in play there were still some fall seasons open. Think Bailey worked to shut those down in tangent with the later spring start dates.

Old Mossy Horns

Fall hunting was closed in 1972

Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post
    You are likely correct as I was thinking about the seasons in the early 1970s right after the WRC got serious about building the turkey population and hired Wayne Bailey to oversee it. I believe he was the one to propose the later start date for the reasons I posted. He likely had others but I don't recall them.

Also, I believe the years the seasons you mention were in play there were still some fall seasons open. Think Bailey worked to shut those down in tangent with the later spring start dates.

you are correct Sir,,,,Wayne Bailey worked at the NCWRC July 1, 1970 through September 30, 1980 and the last Winter (fall) season was in Dec 70-Jan 71,,,,,,,,,he shut them down fast,,,,,,,,,,

I doubt it happens I would be for starting the middle of April and ending middle of May I do believe it would result in a better overall population, as for the complaint about its too hot to hunt not worried a bit. LOL I deleted the text but two days ago had two separate text from guys watching gobblers strutting and gobbling one was with a hen . Text came from two separate counties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk