Changes coming in N.C. Turkey season?

Ridgerunner

Ten Pointer
If rumors are correct, we in N.C. are looking at a change in dates for our future turkey seasons. From what I can hear thru the grapevine, the N.C. season would start on the last day of April and run thru May. Seems to me that would result in a reduced number of harvested gobblers due to high grass and hot weather. Anybody know if there is any truth to this rumor?

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I'd welcome a longer season but I agree a later starting one would definitely make it a little harder and hotter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oh goodness...I sure hope not. By the last week, I'm fighting the heat and sweating bullets after 10 am usually.

That really doesn't make much sense to me. We are currently in line with the seasons of other surrounding states. That season would put us more inline with states much further north.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Oh goodness...I sure hope not. By the last week, I'm fighting the heat and sweating bullets after 10 am usually.

That really doesn't make much sense to me. We are currently in line with the seasons of other surrounding states. That season would put us more inline with states much further north.

Former NCWRC turkey program leader Mike Seamster always said NC's turkey season came in one week too early if based on biology only (and the youth week two weeks early) but the current regular season framework was a good compromise between biology and politics.

But he did oppose any attempts at an earlier season but the youth season was enacted a few years after he retired.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
If rumors are correct, we in N.C. are looking at a change in dates for our future turkey seasons. From what I can hear thru the grapevine, the N.C. season would start on the last day of April and run thru May. Seems to me that would result in a reduced number of harvested gobblers due to high grass and hot weather. Anybody know if there is any truth to this rumor?

So if the last day of April is a Wednesday? We all have to take a 5 day weekend?

Randy

Ten Pointer
That would probably really reduce success in the areas I hunt. Gobbling definitely starts to tail way off in May.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
Man if it happened like that SC,TN, and VA nonresident licenses would sell like hotcakes.

I think if no one hunted until the end of April you would be surprised at the amount of suicidal birds that would be around.

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Man if it happened like that SC,TN, and VA nonresident licenses would sell like hotcakes.

I think if no one hunted until the end of April you would be surprised at the amount of suicidal birds that would be around.
I don't disagree with this, the problem would be finding one IMO.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
who are those sources ridgerunner?

what would be driving the change?

i cant see the NCWRC doing anything on turkeys given the recent success of our hunters.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I don't see it happening. Too many folks (including some NCWRC office holders) clamoring to make the season earlier, add another tag, etc.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Not gonna happen rumors always floating around that is pretty late start for any season in south, now I'd be all for moving season to a set date it for sure opens up too early in years like this when 2nd Sat is 8th not enough breeding has occurred around here yet. I woild love to see say opening 16th of every year and could adjust day either way of fell on Sun. and I only say this bcause it benefit the turkey and that is all I care about mans nothing to me if hunting is asier or mor difficut we should be more concerned about sound biology and hunter success should be 2nd. I would be willing to bet the harvest would be about the same main reason there is less gobbling later in season is simply many birds are no longer roosting

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
I really hope that isnt true. That would make our season go right in the dumps. It would take all the enjoyment out of it for sure. Gobbling would suck and so would the ticks and heat. It would really hurt with getting the youth into the woods.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree. Hunting is about enjoyment. It doesn't always have to be 100% about the resource. There is a compromise that protects the resource and also allows for more enjoyment from sportsmen.

If they moved deer season to July because that was what's best for the resource, I'd sell every stand I own. Hunting seasons are built around breeding seasons because that's when it's the most fun (and effective) to hunt them. We could just as easily have a fall-only turkey season, and a deer season that doesn't encompass any part of the rut, but what fun would that be? No gobbling turkeys and no rutting bucks?

The politically correct response among outdoorsmen in the 21st century is to say it's all about the resource - we should only do what is best for the population. The best thing for the population is to quit shooting them! No, we have a responsibility as sportsmen to protect the resource, but our ultimate goal is our own enjoyment. Let's not lose sight of that.

Anyway, it ain't gonna happen.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I don't see this happening, our season dates are pretty close to all the others in the area within a week or two. Personally I'd hate it, late season is hot, humid and buggy. I love those cool mornings where it warms up just enough to take a nap in a sunny spot.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I agree. Hunting is about enjoyment. It doesn't always have to be 100% about the resource.

Is that why the NCWRC said our gobbler population needs no additional pressure yet supported/supports Sunday turkey hunting?
While the trend is generally increasing, these data indicate that, if quality spring gobbler
hunting is to be maintained, additional pressure should not be placed on the male segment of the wild
turkey population by increasing the season length, opening the spring season earlier, or increasing the
bag limit

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Could just as easily increase the population by reducing the limit to one and no jakes. I know no jakes is hard to enforce but it would help. Not sure I would even hunt NC if it started that late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It's going to be 90 degrees in my neck of the woods this week. Can you imagine chasing turkeys in full camo in the 90 degree heat. Nah... I'll pass. I'm miserable during bow season and I'm sitting still!

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is that why the NCWRC said our gobbler population needs no additional pressure yet supported/supports Sunday turkey hunting?

Hey Eeyore.......why so negative all the time??

Deer disease?

Turkey disease?

Always looking on the negative side.........I bet you don't get invited to many parties!! :party:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Hey Eeyore.......why so negative all the time??

Deer disease?

Turkey disease?

Always looking on the negative side.........I bet you don't get invited to many parties!! :party:

Why don't you answer why the NCWRC claims our turkey population needs no additional pressure yet enacted a youth week and pushed for Sunday hunting?

I'll wait for anyone's answer.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Why don't you answer why the NCWRC claims our turkey population needs no additional pressure yet enacted a youth week and pushed for Sunday hunting?

I'll wait for anyone's answer.
I'll answer why they pushed for Sunday hunting, they are for the majority of the sportsmen and women of the state. They in the past remained neutral, they saw that the time had changed and that the majority wanted it so they picked a side. Not all people "hunt" from their computer chair, nor are unemployed and have the advantage of being able to go at their leisure they only have weekends or even parts of weekends to enjoy the outdoors. Thus they saw the need for more opportunities to be available.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know about all that. I doubt NCWRC will do anything with the turkey season. I have heard that the deer seasons could be coming for some major changes in the next several years. Never heard anyone mention the turkey season being altered.
Yes I have heard Mike Seamster say the season should come in later but if I remember correctly he was meaning like the middle of April to Mid May. He never said to me why his opinion was never made law though.
I always wondered why the main man dealing with the wild turkeys did not get what he wanted made into law. Instead we got a season coming in a week earlier than what he wanted to see happen.
Makes me realize that politics and personal interests had more effect on the season as it is now.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I'll answer why they pushed for Sunday hunting, they are for the majority of the sportsmen and women of the state. They in the past remained neutral, they saw that the time had changed and that the majority wanted it so they picked a side. Not all people "hunt" from their computer chair, nor are unemployed and have the advantage of being able to go at their leisure they only have weekends or even parts of weekends to enjoy the outdoors. Thus they saw the need for more opportunities to be available.

Which contradicts their claim the spring gobbler population does not need a longer season.

Sunday hunting= longer season/more days to take gobblers.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Which contradicts their claim the spring gobbler population does not need a longer season.

Your arm beginning to hurt from stirring? Take a break and lick the paddle.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I still doubt you get invited to many parties!!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Your arm beginning to hurt from stirring? Take a break and lick the paddle.

Not stirring anything.

Just pointing out the contradiction in turkey management.

Which might mean NCWRC's turkey managers have no idea what is going on or are they being ignored?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not stirring anything.

Which might mean NCWRC's turkey managers have no idea what is going on or are they being ignored?
You love to point fingers at biologists, then say you don't when the ones on here call your hand on it. They have told you numerous times there is MUCH more that goes into running an organization than one persons findings and opinions. Yet you hang on one thing they say like it was chiseled in stone.

I have an idea, go to school, get a degree in biology, get a job in that field and then see how important your perspective is in the big scheme of things is. I bet you may gain a whole new respect for the ones you constantly belittle.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not stirring anything.

CRC, I don't think the NCWRC base everything on what the biologists say , believe or even think.
I know for a fact Mike Seamster wanted the season to come in a week later than it does now but he did not get what he wanted. He personally told me over the phone back in 1997 that NC would be better off with a season coming in Mid April . The 3 times I talked to him, I could tell from talking to him that he was only allowed to do what the powers to be were allowing him to do.

Last edited: