Killer Ladino Clover field!!!

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I slipped out to the property to show my nephew what we have to do next month. Here is a pic of our 2 year old 4 acre clover field. It will be mowed when most of the flowers are dead. Right now it is 10-12 inches tall.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That looks about right. Wait till year 3. That's when the real work begins. If you have a high deer population , they are going to decimate it. Mine grew good the first 2 years but by year 3 even with liming and frostseeding, my clover pasture does not look as good as it did the 2nd year. If the deer have other food sources then you probably won't have the same problem I had up in Rockingham county. By year 3 you will have to spray the weeds more.
Looks good for now ...... good luck .

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Looks great!

I planted a small plot a couple of years ago and mine never looked that good.
Any particular brand you used or just any kind of Ladino?

sent from...... Tapatalk

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I used pennington ladino. I limed it back in February. The deer had eaten it all the way to the ground as of January . We had nice clover fields in bladen County as well. Those fields were still going strong after 6 years. This field has a average of 30 deer a night on it year round. I do mow them 3-4 times a year and spray for grasses once a year after I mow the first time.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mowing it 3 or 4 times makes the difference I bet. I never tried that. Usually just mowed my 4 acre clover pasture twice. 6 years is impressive.
Do yall have any other crop fields nearby like soybeans or milo?
My 4 acre clover pasture is the only one around. My neighbors have hay fields with some white clover but no other crop lands of any kind within a mile . The deer will eat mine to the dirt , craziest thing I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Looking good!!! I had HR Carver plant a few spots for me last fall and they are really looking good now ... fixing to spray them tomorrow and hopefully they will flourish even further

25contender

Twelve Pointer
WE have 4 other fields that we plant with a variety of different browse. this is our sanctuary field which we dont deer hunt around or around. It is right in the middle of our property and cant be seen. There are no other AG crops few a miles. We used to plant beans and sunflowers here but the deer would decimate them in less than 2 weeks of them coming up. The clover holds up much better and is a whole lot less work in the big scheme of things.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yall got it going on for sure. Yeah the clover is a lot easier for me too.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Just mowed the clover fields this past weekend. I will spray for grasses the end of this week or next week depending on how it looks.