Getting tired of hunting at home.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It may sound odd, in fact it sounds odd to myself but I am getting tired of deer hunting at my house. I have been deer hunting over 25 years and love it just as much as I did when I first started but something about hunting on our farm doesn't do it for me. Our area has a few big deer like any does here and there but typically isn't known for its big deer like other areas tend to be. Hunting on the farm is great for taking my wife. She likes to hunt a couple of times a year but isnt serious enough about it to go on a trip or travel any kind of distance to do it. I've got covered box stands with comfy chairs and heaters that her and I can both sit in. In fact, she killed an 8pt opening day last year. That day will be one of my most memorable days ever hunting, it was the first deer she's killed since we have been married and it was right there on our farm. I also take part in guiding/ opening the farm to hunters during the yearly Sawtooth Oak Farm Wheelin Sportsman handicap hunt. Last year our hunter was able to harvest 3 does and a 9pt during two days of hunting with us. I never pulled the trigger hunting with my wife or during the Wheelin Sportsman hunt but I was tickled to death and enjoyed hunting those 3 days more than any other days I've ever hunted on our farm. I have no personally killed a buck in 3 years at the farm. I've seen plenty just not the kind I'm looking for. Hunting one evening last November I saw a fairly decent buck in full rut, I watched him through my binoculars and started to pick up my rifle when the thought hit me. I've killed bigger deer, if I shoot this deer I've got a full evening worth of work skinning and getting meat in the freezer along with all my other chores I need to do around the barn and with my dogs this evening. After that thought I put down my rifle and picked up my phone, snapped a few pictures of him and sat in the stand til dark. I usually don't think too much about deer hunting this time of year but just finding out I'm going to Ohio for a week in October has put deer hunting in the front of my mind as of late. No doubt about it, if I see the right deer on that trip I'll be holding something other than my phone. If this trip turns out to be what I'm hoping and expecting I plan to scale back on hunting around my place. I'll keep my stands up and lanes cut but it will be for hunting with my family, and the Wheelin hunt. With that said, I also know myself and know that 1 week wont get it out of my system for the year. Something I havent done in a long time that I plan to do this year as well just to see other places and different scenes while I am hunting is put in for some permit hunt and bow hunt some game land. I have tried several clubs over the years and would join another if the right one were to come along but the ones I've been around have more drama and bickering than a high school cheer leading squad. Fall is a long time away yet with a lot of hot weather in between but until then we can at least talk about it.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe you could find other property owners here that would be interested in swapping hunting days/weeks each season. Maybe looking at some different land from a stand will re-energize your hunting passion.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Trade a hunt or maybe change the layout of your farm. Can you put in a pond, different food plots and change the habitat somewhat?
I've traded hunts with guys in the past and its always exciting to hunt a new place.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's always good to hunt some fresh ground now and then. It brings back some of the excitement to get out of that rut of hunting the same old spots.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
We all go thru some phases of hunting. But to bring the hunt back into it go on some Game Lands you've never been on and figure them out.

CD

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Grab the bow and still(the real still hunting) hunt them deer. That will put some challenge back into it and you want have to sit still all day.

... or you could just wear them hounds out and hear some good races and let the other guys/gals do the shooting. I know I enjoy them, enjoying the hounds.

I go on a permit hunt every year and camp for 4 nights, I just love to totally get away. This always allows me to reset.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
You and I have talked about his before I think....to me, the thrill of adventure on unknown land/property is every bit as important to me as punching a tag. Its not just about the hunt/kill for me, its the entire experience. I joined a club last year, 1300 acres and I was bored after a few hunts. I felt like I knew the land and what was around the corner and it took away from the experience for ME. It made me realize just how much I enjoy hunting public land to be honest. Until I can afford a few thousand acres ( sometime around Never), its public land for life!!!!!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It may sound odd, in fact it sounds odd to myself but I am getting tired of deer hunting at my house. I have been deer hunting over 25 years and love it just as much as I did when I first started but something about hunting on our farm doesn't do it for me. Our area has a few big deer like any does here and there but typically isn't known for its big deer like other areas tend to be. Hunting on the farm is great for taking my wife. She likes to hunt a couple of times a year but isnt serious enough about it to go on a trip or travel any kind of distance to do it. I've got covered box stands with comfy chairs and heaters that her and I can both sit in. In fact, she killed an 8pt opening day last year. That day will be one of my most memorable days ever hunting, it was the first deer she's killed since we have been married and it was right there on our farm. I also take part in guiding/ opening the farm to hunters during the yearly Sawtooth Oak Farm Wheelin Sportsman handicap hunt. Last year our hunter was able to harvest 3 does and a 9pt during two days of hunting with us. I never pulled the trigger hunting with my wife or during the Wheelin Sportsman hunt but I was tickled to death and enjoyed hunting those 3 days more than any other days I've ever hunted on our farm. I have no personally killed a buck in 3 years at the farm. I've seen plenty just not the kind I'm looking for. Hunting one evening last November I saw a fairly decent buck in full rut, I watched him through my binoculars and started to pick up my rifle when the thought hit me. I've killed bigger deer, if I shoot this deer I've got a full evening worth of work skinning and getting meat in the freezer along with all my other chores I need to do around the barn and with my dogs this evening. After that thought I put down my rifle and picked up my phone, snapped a few pictures of him and sat in the stand til dark. I usually don't think too much about deer hunting this time of year but just finding out I'm going to Ohio for a week in October has put deer hunting in the front of my mind as of late. No doubt about it, if I see the right deer on that trip I'll be holding something other than my phone. If this trip turns out to be what I'm hoping and expecting I plan to scale back on hunting around my place. I'll keep my stands up and lanes cut but it will be for hunting with my family, and the Wheelin hunt. With that said, I also know myself and know that 1 week wont get it out of my system for the year. Something I havent done in a long time that I plan to do this year as well just to see other places and different scenes while I am hunting is put in for some permit hunt and bow hunt some game land. I have tried several clubs over the years and would join another if the right one were to come along but the ones I've been around have more drama and bickering than a high school cheer leading squad. Fall is a long time away yet with a lot of hot weather in between but until then we can at least talk about it.

a few encounters with john q public on nc public land will have you embracing the home turf.:)

hope that trip satisfies the itch.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I know exactly what you mean,I used to hunt lots of different ground...the last dozen or so years I'm stuck with hunting close to home.i miss it sometimes.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
While not my ground, I've been hunting the same lease for 10+ years now and know it well. I used to spend at least every other weekend scouting, ground hog hunting, riding 4 wheeler around. Just not that motivated or excited about it anymore. To put the fire back under me I joined a lease in KY, hunted IA last year. I think I enjoy seeing a new part of the country and meeting new folks as much as hunting now. Also the chance that the next one that walks out could be a booner in those locals has something to do with it too!

Sp8

Ten Pointer
It is always nice to change the scenery every once in a while, but kudos to you wildcat for the taking others to your farm. The wheelin sportsman is a good way to give back and Matt and John are great guys. I find that the older I get the more I just enjoy taking my kids and friends. Just try not to give up on your place, its always rewarding to harvest an animal on your own property.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
It's always good to hunt some fresh ground now and then. It brings back some of the excitement to get out of that rut of hunting the same old spots.

I had this same thought about 3AM this morning at the Concord Denny's near the racetrack.

Last edited:

Cootmeurer

Eight Pointer
If you really want something different, and want to take the wife along, try Roebuck hunting in England or Scotland. I have contacts in both places.

Roe deer are in hard antler from late spring through the summer. Because the latitude of the UK is like northern Canada, sunrise and sunset are very early (4 ish) and late (10 is) so hunting takes place outside of the hours you could be a tourist. Non-stop Flights from Raleigh to London are about 6 hours , with many overnight flight.