Help- need advice where to Hunt North western region

zippo

Button Buck
Hi. My name is Mike. New to the forum. Retired sportsman now living in Amelia Island Florida.
Spend 22 years in the remote catskills mountain of NY. Miss the mountains especially in fall. Do not care for florida wilderness and pine shrub....too hot also in archery season and too restricted with all the quotas and lottery drawings needed. It pretty much sucks. Fishing is great though.

Anyway, spent a week vacationing with my wife in the Franklin, Cashiers and Highland area of the blue ridge mountains. We loved it.

Before I sell my archery stuff and rifles and take up knitting, I want to take a shot on finding a recommendation on any good spots in blue ridge or smokey , or applachian mountains, maybe Pisgah or Natahalla national forest ranges that has WELL MARKED trails and ample public access hunting acerage for archery or gun seasons so I can look for a reasonable 7 day nice comfortable cabin or cottage (so I take my wife along) this fall. Getting a deer not that important, if it happens fine, if not thats fine too..really just miss walking the woods with my bow or rifle and being in a hardwoods mountainous
forest again...

Open to suggestions.....Thanks!!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
to save you the trip to the store,,,,I'll trade knitting gear for your "archery stuff and rifles",,,,,,,

:)

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Welcome to the forum from a former Florida resident for many years. You may not find the gamelands in the west to offer a lot of chances at a deer, but the views are amazing and the skeeters are far fewer than the swamps of good ol sunny Florida.
Actually there are quite a few gamelands in WNC, just look at the actual reports and plan some scouting trips before it get's too hot.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Pisgah has 500,000 plus acres good easy access plenty camping best views in the eastern US, the deer population is poor compared to most anywhere but I still hunt it. Timing and mast crop means a lot you can go in Oct with nice cool weather but if havy nut crop hunting is tough