Unofficial but record harvest looks likely for NC

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
A few im sure,you can go to counties that have high numbers and see and hear several almost anyplace. Sc is the same, they every where you look, around Moore. Montgomery, and bordering counties ride look and listen and count them,most areas will not have nothing,same as some public lands,numbers are lower now in some places than they were 20. years ago.just my opinion.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
How,many guys on this site killed a turkey in Uwharrie gameland this spring? If you hunted them how you rate it?

cwcook68

Eight Pointer
I hunted Uwharrie 3 different time, seen 2 birds and they gobbled 3 maybe 4 times and that was it. Walked many miles and seen very little sign.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
A few im sure,you can go to counties that have high numbers and see and hear several almost anyplace. Sc is the same, they every where you look, around Moore. Montgomery, and bordering counties ride look and listen and count them,most areas will not have nothing,same as some public lands,numbers are lower now in some places than they were 20. years ago.just my opinion.

you must be on the wrong side of the river LC. they laid them down in bennett this year. rumor is one roosted on the tower at the fire station. :)

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
All of the numbers are now up including specific game land. Uwharrie had 47 kills, almost twice as many as last season.

Looks like I'm hunting the wrong permit draws.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
All of the numbers are now up including specific game land. Uwharrie had 47 kills, almost twice as many as last season. .

don't tell Lucky Clucker that,,,,,ain't no birds there,,,,,must be part of that NCWRC inflation of turkey kills,,,,,,,,

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
All of the numbers are now up including specific game land. Uwharrie had 47 kills, almost twice as many as last season.

uwharrie isnt a draw wolfman. you would like it i bet. nice back up if draw fizzled out.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Yea, I was just referring to my two draw hunts. Both had a total of 4 birds harvested.

Although Bird #5 was in TSS range but I thought he needed to come 10 more yards before he made his u-turn.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Yea, I was just referring to my two draw hunts. Both had a total of 4 birds harvested.

Although Bird #5 was in TSS range but I thought he needed to come 10 more yards before he made his u-turn.

well the flip side of that is less attention to your draw (due to low kills) and you know where some are if you get back in there.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
ssshhh,,,,,quit with the SECRETS!!!

yes. delete these posts! just kidding.

5 days of hunting over a 4 year period and I called a bird to the gun 4 of the 5 days on that low producing game land.

Harris, on the other hand, sucks.

gobbler

Eight Pointer

not sure what yall read but i saw a total of 36 , 11 jakes and 25 longbeards. and fir the record im in 100% in agreeabce with clucker, anyone that tells u to hunt there i can guarantee diesnt hunt there themselves, can i get a amen

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
not sure what yall read but i saw a total of 36 , 11 jakes and 25 longbeards. and fir the record im in 100% in agreeabce with clucker, anyone that tells u to hunt there i can guarantee diesnt hunt there themselves, can i get a amen

reading the harvest stats that wolfman posted,,,,not sure WHAT you are reading,,,,you need to check them bifocals,,,,,,,

anyhow - don't know what the complaint is on Uwharrie,,,,,less land than the Sandhills gameland and kills 4x more turkeys,,,,,,sounds like heaven to ME!!! I live adjacent to one of the blocks of the sandhills,,,,,and yes deer and turkeys are scarce (I blame all the dang burning, but I am just an anti-burn layman),,,,,but they are there to kill and I see them often (I drive through or walk through blocks of the sandhills EVERY DAY,,,,

anyhow - record season so the chorus of the birds are gone peters out yet again,,,,,,,,

or it could be there are so many hunters chasing the dumb bird we are hunting them to extinction!!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
reading the harvest stats that wolfman posted,,,,not sure WHAT you are reading,,,,you need to check them bifocals,,,,,,,

anyhow - don't know what the complaint is on Uwharrie,,,,,less land than the Sandhills gameland and kills 4x more turkeys,,,,,,sounds like heaven to ME!!! I live adjacent to one of the blocks of the sandhills,,,,,and yes deer and turkeys are scarce (I blame all the dang burning, but I am just an anti-burn layman),,,,,but they are there to kill and I see them often (I drive through or walk through blocks of the sandhills EVERY DAY,,,,

anyhow - record season so the chorus of the birds are gone peters out yet again,,,,,,,,

or it could be there are so many hunters chasing the dumb bird we are hunting them to extinction!!

I wish we had a stat showing how many "first" turkeys there were every year.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns

Amen. Uwharrie consist of Montgomery, randolph,Davidson counties. I heard and seen more at sandhills than Montgomery,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Amen. Uwharrie consist of Montgomery, randolph,Davidson counties. I heard and seen more at sandhills than Montgomery,

weren't but 11 birds killed on the sandhills gamelands this year,,,,,60,000+ acres,,,,,,,,but it is permit vs wide open like Uwharrie,,,,,,,

csmacken

Four Pointer
I wish NC would would post the harvest per square mile like VA does. That would truly tell where the birds are or are not. Disregard this if it has already been mentioned

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I made the cutoff for the list at 0.6 birds per square mile.

F021lKR.jpg

csmacken

Four Pointer
Thanks for doing that wolfman. I know VA takes it a step further and relates it to "suitable habitat" whatever that means. I'm assuming they take the city limits out of the equation.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I made the cutoff for the list at 0.6 birds per square mile.

F021lKR.jpg

Very nice. Thanks Jon!

Caswell looks pretty good here. How were the birds in Caswell this year in the area folks have reported them missing in the last few years?

csmacken

Four Pointer
I hunt an 80 acre tract just south of Yanceyville that has traditional held a huntable population and the birds were scarce to absent this year. Was out there 6 mornings and heard 1 bird gobble 3 times a half mile away. They must be hammering them north of Yanceyville towards the VA border. That being said I also have a 200 acre lease just south of the caswell line in orange county that yielded a better than average year.

Last edited:

brucesmith0817

Six Pointer
I hunt Guilford their seem ed to be less birds killed here this year but that's just going the guys I know that are good turkeys hunters an they had problems killing birds the farms I hunt they don't gobble good at all 1 or 2 times on the roost an 1 time on the ground an that's it called up 3 long beards this year none of them gobbled at all this year I never saw a Jake the whole season an I hunt everyday of course this was a very unusual spring

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk