Protein Pellets That Deer Will Eat?

• Thread starter Avery Taxidermy
  • Start date

Avery Taxidermy

Anybody had success with a high protein deer pellet out of a spin feeder? I tried Purina once and it just mildewed on the ground. Thanks.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Not worth the hassle IMO. If they get any moisture in them they will swell up and clog the feeder. When they dry out they crumble into dust. from what I've seen they are not preferred either.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
We feed Purina Antler Advantage 20 with great success in Virginia but in free choice open feeders. I honestly was amazed at how well they eat it...of course the coons, turkeys, and bears get their share.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I added wheat to my feeders.

You could see where they were eating it yet and leftover would sprout and grow so they loved that also.

oneoldinspector/hunter

Record Rack and Purina antler advantage works well on my lease in Ga. YES THE COONS LOVE IT TOO.

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Academy sports has a protein pellet in a 50# bag we put out and the deer loved it, made only for academy.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have mixed it(Purina) with corn a couple of times but not in a feeder.....at that time it was as cheap as a bag of corn was. There is too much young tender green growth right now IMO for them to mess with corn or protein pellets.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
We have mixed it(Purina) with corn a couple of times but not in a feeder.....at that time it was as cheap as a bag of corn was. There is too much young tender green growth right now IMO for them to mess with corn or protein pellets.

Correct^^^ we had the best success introducing it in Jan while cold and not much forage.

They tend to consume at a slower rate as spring green up happens..however, still demolish it BUT thtvarea of VA has a very high deer population

oneoldinspector/hunter

Record Rack and Purina Antler Advantage work well in our gravity feeders in GA. ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT COONS LOVE IT TOO.