Starting to hate turkeys......

30/06

Twelve Pointer
So for the first time in a lot of years it looks like there will be a big ol skunk with me until next turkey season! Oh I had chances but it was the most frustrating season I've had in a long time.

Went to KY for 3 days, saw 9 gobblers, all had hens with them. Must have heard 500 gobbles in the time I was there, got to within 50 yards of 2 birds that gobbled over 100 times each and couldn't get it done. Had one giant bird gobble from daylight til 2 PM within 200 yards.

Last Sunday called one in that came in silent the last 100+ yards, he popped out from behind a big oak at less than 10 yards coming quick! I think he startled me and I flinched, he was startled too and got said oak between us and putted away. Not having a bird down was rubbing me wrong so played hookey from work on Wednesday and went to the same spot. Ended up being set up within 60 yards of 3 on the limb. Gobbled good in the tree, watched em pitch down just below the crest of the ridge, waited with gun up and heart in my throat for 30 minutes, none came up the hill, they finally gobbled off in the distance going the other way. Had to cut a trail back to the office, bumped a gobbler working its way too me at 10 AM.

So the final insult came last night, the wife went away for a "girls weekend" (who does that during turkey season???? LOL) and I'm having dinner with the kids. My daughter says "hey dad look at the turkey in the backyard." I look out and out walks a gobbler, then a hen, then another gobbler. Haven't seen a gobbler at the house since October! Was going to try em this morning and stay near the house. Same daughter that saw the turkeys comes downstairs at 4:45 this morning, I think she has strep! Can't hunt this morning, can't take them to the farm tomorrow morning for one last hurrah.

Looks like it's over. They whooped me bad! Had a great time chasing em though, always next year. Good luck to all closing out the season this weekend.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
So for the first time in a lot of years it looks like there will be a big ol skunk with me until next turkey season! Oh I had chances but it was the most frustrating season I've had in a long time.

Went to KY for 3 days, saw 9 gobblers, all had hens with them. Must have heard 500 gobbles in the time I was there, got to within 50 yards of 2 birds that gobbled over 100 times each and couldn't get it done. Had one giant bird gobble from daylight til 2 PM within 200 yards.

Last Sunday called one in that came in silent the last 100+ yards, he popped out from behind a big oak at less than 10 yards coming quick! I think he startled me and I flinched, he was startled too and got said oak between us and putted away. Not having a bird down was rubbing me wrong so played hookey from work on Wednesday and went to the same spot. Ended up being set up within 60 yards of 3 on the limb. Gobbled good in the tree, watched em pitch down just below the crest of the ridge, waited with gun up and heart in my throat for 30 minutes, none came up the hill, they finally gobbled off in the distance going the other way. Had to cut a trail back to the office, bumped a gobbler working its way too me at 10 AM.

So the final insult came last night, the wife went away for a "girls weekend" (who does that during turkey season???? LOL) and I'm having dinner with the kids. My daughter says "hey dad look at the turkey in the backyard." I look out and out walks a gobbler, then a hen, then another gobbler. Haven't seen a gobbler at the house since October! Was going to try em this morning and stay near the house. Same daughter that saw the turkeys comes downstairs at 4:45 this morning, I think she has strep! Can't hunt this morning, can't take them to the farm tomorrow morning for one last hurrah.

Looks like it's over. They whooped me bad! Had a great time chasing em though, always next year. Good luck to all closing out the season this weekend.

kill one of those yard birds sometime tomorrow.

you will have an instant redemption. and be ready for it to start all over again. Good Luck!

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Reminds me of a Mel McDaniel song.........."stand up if you've ever been there, stand up identify"!!

Good luck next year, you may have to protect yourself from them attempting sexual assault.......

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer

That sounds like a pretty good season to me. At least you were on gobbling turkeys most of the season. The whole season I only got to set up on one gobbling turkey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I'm not really complaining, enjoyed the season very much. Fortunate to have places that hold good amount of turkeys to hunt. Learned a lot especially on the KY trip, being able to see and work that many gobbling birds was a good experience. Some of the birds out there weigh an honest 30 lbs, they look like giants compared to the NC birds we have, especially all blowed up! Hunting different terrain and places helps. Plus I saw at least 6 good bucks while I was out there. Can't wait til November.